3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

If you have 3.4 Swap and SuperCharger... READ THIS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you have 3.4 Swap and SuperCharger... READ THIS!!!

Ok, So I searched for the longest time to find a gauge pod for the pillar of the 90-95 4Runner and found one last September on SummitRacing.com Part#: PPL-81090
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PPL-81090/

I ordered and paid for it even though it was on back order for a couple weeks. Well, that date keeps getting moved back on me. So, I decided to call ProParts and find out what the deal was. He said its not an item that gets purchased very often and is the reason he has not produced them. He doesn't plan to discontinue it, just needs more orders before he can produce them.

Well, I want my pod! So I agreed to try and find more people who might be interested and add to the order. He said he can have them made and shipped within a few weeks. So... Does anyone want one of these? Or know another company that makes them?
Old 01-13-2012, 01:04 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
You can get some that hold 3 gauges. You just need to add 2 gauges to fill the empty pods http://www.truckpillars.com/index.html

Last edited by MudHippy; 01-13-2012 at 01:06 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:14 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Find me a CHEAP supercharger and I'll order one.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by dntsdad
Find me a CHEAP supercharger and I'll order one.
My buddy plans to convert his back to stock and sell his. Not sure how much he wants for it but I can ask. How much is cheap to you? It would include the boost pod and its a 2nd gen (black) w/ about 90k miles on it. Nose drive would probably need to be freshened up.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by MudHippy
You can get some that hold 3 gauges. You just need to add 2 gauges to fill the empty pods http://www.truckpillars.com/index.html
Thanks for the link... but really want the single pod.. Don't really need the others and I want it to stick out as little as possible.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:22 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
You bet. You could also look at it as getting 3 single pods though. Meaning, doesn't it look like the single pod could be cut out of the triple pod...3 times? The price would be a little bit more per pod. But you might get it sooner, and you'd have 2 you could sell(or do whatever with).

What does a 3.4 swap or a supercharger have to do with pillar gauges anyway? How's that a requirement all the sudden?
Old 01-13-2012, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by MudHippy
You bet. You could also look at it as getting 3 single pods though. Meaning, doesn't it look like the single pod could be cut out of the triple pod...3 times? The price would be a little bit more per pod. But you might get it sooner, and you'd have 2 you could sell(or do whatever with).

What does a 3.4 swap or a supercharger have to do with pillar gauges anyway? How's that a requirement all the sudden?
Ya I guess that could work alright...

The reason I am asking specifically people w/ 3.4 swap w/ s/c is because they are most likely to need the pod for the boost gauge. Not too many people with the 3.slow need it, hence the reason nobody orders them and they are not being made.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:49 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by calipatient
My buddy plans to convert his back to stock and sell his. Not sure how much he wants for it but I can ask. How much is cheap to you? It would include the boost pod and its a 2nd gen (black) w/ about 90k miles on it. Nose drive would probably need to be freshened up.
No. I am nearing the long end of gather SAS parts so i need to focus on that. My garage looks like a parts warehouse!!
Old 01-14-2012, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by dntsdad
No. I am nearing the long end of gather SAS parts so i need to focus on that. My garage looks like a parts warehouse!!
Understandable... I went one route first and you went the other. Cant wait to do my SAS some day.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:55 PM

Has it really been that hard to find a single gauge pillar pod?! I'm just getting into a sc'd 3.4 swap and will probably ending up wanting a pod like this. Any idea how many people he needs before he will start making these things?? When I checked the link, the estimated ship day is 'tomorrow'...??
Old 01-14-2012, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by DossCable
Has it really been that hard to find a single gauge pillar pod?! I'm just getting into a sc'd 3.4 swap and will probably ending up wanting a pod like this. Any idea how many people he needs before he will start making these things?? When I checked the link, the estimated ship day is 'tomorrow'...??

I knew I was not the only person who would want one of these... and yes... I have searched everywhere with no luck for our model.

As far as the ship date goes.. I am aware of this... I ordered and paid for mine through summit in 08/2011 and every month since then they have changed the back order date. I have talked to the distributor twice and he says the same thing... He needs more orders to produce the product. He did not say how many but I am more than willing to call back tomorrow and find out!

For $20 + shipping... Its a deal!!!
Old 01-15-2012, 06:52 AM

Well, I'm in if we can get some more people. I doubt my one extra pod is going to make a big enough difference to start production on these...
Old 01-15-2012, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by DossCable
Well, I'm in if we can get some more people. I doubt my one extra pod is going to make a big enough difference to start production on these...
Well... with your 1 we now have 2! Anyone else interested? I think even a small demand will give him enough of incentive to make them. And for $25 it sure beats thats triple pod for $80.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:04 AM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
you need a 2 pod. Boost gauge is really there just for looks. The gauge you really need is afr. Thats gonna be the one that you will need for tuning your truck to make sure you're not running lean in boost.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by vital22re
you need a 2 pod. Boost gauge is really there just for looks. The gauge you really need is afr. Thats gonna be the one that you will need for tuning your truck to make sure you're not running lean in boost.
I forgot to take that into consideration.
Do you know of any company that sells a 2 pod?

I guess that 3 pod could work and just cut the top one off. It says it is a bolt over application and not a replacement pillar. $80 just seems a little steep for me, but I'm poor right now so being cheap!

Or just not use the boost and go w afr only. I found the AEM for $160 on Amazon.

Last edited by calipatient; 01-19-2012 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:10 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
I bought two single universal stand alone pods and mounted them mickey mouse style on my steering column.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:33 PM

you can always run a multi gauge that can display multiple parameters on one gauge. That my plan which is why I am only looking for the single pod.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:11 PM

If anyone is interested, my pod from summitracing shipped a few days ago and will be here monday. I guess the phone call worked!
Old 02-04-2012, 08:16 PM

Good to hear. Did you end up getting more ppl signed up??

I realized the pod wasnt even going to work for my set up. I've already got my tweeters mounted where you would mount that pod...!!
Old 02-06-2012, 12:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why not buy the 2 or 3 gauge pod from truck pillars?

I actually run fuel, boost, EGT and AFR gauges in my truck...

Quick Reply: If you have 3.4 Swap and SuperCharger... READ THIS!!!