3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

failed the CA BAR

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2016, 04:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
failed the CA BAR, Now I passed!!!!!

I have really hi NO on the high speed pass. all other reading were nil, almost 0. but thats not the big problem. Im using a 95 T100 Engine and ECU. there is no EGR valve. from my research, Toyota in this case forced the EGR monitor to set. when the Referee unplugged the MAF to force a code (which worked) then he cleared all codes, the EGR was already set. He said the software in my ECU is messed up. It should report N/A. Is there any documentation on this?

another strange thing that happened. for weeks before my appointment, all my monitors were set and my scan tool said pass. When the Referee plugged in his scanner, NONE of my monitors were set. NOW when he rolled the car on the rollers for the SMOG test, he stalled it. My celica did this once. I stalled the car and it reset the computer. Do you think that happened?

Last edited by Smaay; 01-19-2017 at 06:04 PM.
Old 11-05-2016, 04:21 PM

Received 603 Likes on 441 Posts
??? When I saw the topic header, I thought you were an aspiring lawyer and I was ready to let go with a witty rejoinder.

Can't help with your emissions probs, sorry.

Last edited by millball; 11-05-2016 at 04:25 PM.
Old 11-26-2016, 07:31 PM

ok so back on topic. I was using the 95 T100 4x2 harness, the EGR monitor is programmed to set immeadiatly even though this engine has no EGR. this was an instant fail. So I found a 95-96 T100 4x4 ECU and it does not have an EGR monitor. So I should be good to go there.

now my NOX was way too high on the high speed test, what can I do to bring that down?
Old 12-01-2016, 05:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The best bet for NOx is the catalytic converter or O2 sensors not working properly. If the cat isn't getting to full temp then it can't burn off a lot of that NOx. If you're cat is too far from the engine it might cause this. I'm guessing you don't have any engine codes? Normally you'll get a code for catalytic converter below efficiency if the O2 sensors aren't in agreement.
Old 12-02-2016, 05:09 AM

i actually moved the CAT closer to the header, the O2 sensors are working and I have no CEL.
Old 12-30-2016, 04:32 PM

I think I figured it out. the hood was rubbing on the crankcase ventilation line that runs from the left valve cover to the hard line on the intake manifold. it had torn the hose so it was wide open. tons of un-metered air was being sucked into the engine. the fix, long hose from the intake to the valve cover. Going back to the BAR next week.
Old 12-31-2016, 12:02 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I dont have to deal with smog test but I have read plenty on here about the test. Some of what I see causes a fail is a cheap catalytic converter will fail a test. Almost needs to be a factory or high quality converter. Headers could be another issue. Any umetered air like you mentioned is going to cause your Exhaust to have incorrect numbers. Good luck on the test.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:03 PM

I figured it out, the hood was rubbing on the crank ventilation line on the intake manifold and split the hose. I ran a long bypass hose and passed with flying colors