3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

After this swap sitting for almost a year Im ready to finish it with some help...?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vital22re
Did you plug in the single wire connector at the back of the motor that is the coolant temp sensor for the gauge?
The single wire coming from the back of the engine harness? No! I couldnt find a connection for that wire... would the other end be coming off the firewall..?

Thx in advance!

EDIT: I see... the water temp sensor is at the back of the engine under the supercharger... Thats where the single wire plugs... Ill check on this tonight!

Last edited by calipatient; 08-21-2011 at 01:08 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:23 PM

Talked to Cliff at Toyonly swaps today and they found the problem with the water temp sender wiring in the harness they built. got it fixed and said they doubled checked everything else to be sure it was correct.

We figured out why my tach is not working...

When I soldered in the resistor I didnt pay close enough attention to the thread that said "10k ohm resistor" as in 10,000, not 10! Ooops!

So I'm wondering...
#1: Would using too small of a resistor (10ohm) allow too much voltage to pass through, and blow the gauge?
or do I have it backwards and its causing too much resistance and no harm done..?
Also,
#2: Would this mistake with the tach cause the speedometer not to work at all..? liked in series I guess..?

Any electricians out there that could educate me?
Old 09-14-2011, 07:25 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I doubt that the wrong resistor would cause any damage and I don't believe that you can have it backwards.

Having the resistor in wrong will have no effect on the speedo. Sounds like you have a wiring or vss issue.

Can you detail how you wired the speedo? What transfer case are u using?
Old 09-16-2011, 10:18 PM

well I paid toyonlyswaps for the wiring harness... sent it back to get the water temp sensor wire fixed... he said everything else was as it should be and there shouldnt be any other issues. Im hoping to get it back tomorrow and maybe it will all work as it should?! (fingers crossed)
Old 09-17-2011, 07:17 PM

got the harness back and installed again. water temp gauge is working as should. Also soldered in the correct 10k ohm resistor and tach now works as it should! I have not driven it yet to check the speedometer, will have to do that tomorrow.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:58 PM

Speedometer works, but the mileage doesnt change! Any ideas on why this would be? Being that its electronic... could it be a wiring issue?
Old 10-05-2011, 05:27 AM

Mine did that too. After a coule day it started working again. I dont know why but I havent had a problem since
Old 10-05-2011, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by dntsdad
Mine did that too. After a coule day it started working again. I dont know why but I havent had a problem since
Can't tell you what a relief it is to hear that! Hopefully it works out the same way for me! Can you guess how many miles you drove in those couple days before it started working..?

Aybody else have that issue?
Old 10-05-2011, 07:05 PM

Not many. 20-30
Old 10-05-2011, 07:21 PM

Ive already driven that far... hopefully they kick over soon!
Old 10-28-2011, 11:47 AM

So I've had it on the road for about 300 miles with no check engine light, leaks or issues of any kind.
Got it smogged last weekend so no ref for me! Well, for the next 2 years at least!

Only problem I seem to be having is a heavy foot and I blame that on the s/c!

Also got my hood scoop in today. The quality of it is great and I think its going to look awesome!
Heres the one I went with for $45 + $25 shipping.http://www.racecomposites.com/mustangbolt.htm

Dimensions: 18.75 " L x 22.5 " W x 1.5" H

Ill post pics when I get the hole cut and get it bolted on but I think its going to work out perfect!

For now I am using 1" hood spacers and supports cut out. The supercharger still rubs slightly on the underside of the hood, so the scoop will fix that.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:04 PM

got the scoop installed and rid of the ugly spacers! Now it doesnt look so much like a ricer 4x4!

I am stoked on how it turned out!

Pictures will be posted soon!
Old 10-31-2011, 12:59 PM

So here's the pictures for anyone interested in how it turned out... I personally am pretty happy with it for only spending $70.
The black paint can I found laying around in my buddies garage so that was free.

View from the front:

View from the drivers side front:

Under the hood view:

I still need to paint the underside of the scoop but I wanted it to show up in the picture so the cut in the hood is visible. Thats what was necessary to clear the supercharger with no body lift.

Any opinions/suggestions?
Old 10-31-2011, 02:44 PM

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts
I'm glad I found this. I don't want to do the body lift to clear my swap. After seeing windedwalrus's thread in which he used a mustang scoop. I came across the same website. Vital22re and myself are both looking at getting those to clean up the hood situation. Looks great. Thanks for posting the pics. I'll be putting an order in.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:54 PM

Sweet. I'm glad I could help. I spent weeks searching and was glad this worked out perfect!

I mentioned to Richard @ RaceComposites I would recommend his product. He ships quick through FedEx and followed up with emails. Overall, really happy with the product and service he offered.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:16 PM

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts
Very good to hear. I'll be contacting him now. Pretty sure you are gonna give him a lot of business. These are perfect for 3.4 swaps that don't want to body lift.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by kiyobrown
Very good to hear. I'll be contacting him now. Pretty sure you are gonna give him a lot of business. These are perfect for 3.4 swaps that don't want to body lift.

Those were my thoughts!
Old 11-01-2011, 01:14 PM

Man I like that scoop and for only $75! I'm going to find another hood and start over--I've got about $400 in mine and frankly, I don't like it. Great job all around. I'll be starting my SC next month. Jack
Old 11-01-2011, 01:32 PM

ya Ill post another picture tonight and show you the part I don't care for. And it really only matters if you see it up close, on the road no one can tell, but...

It has 6 studs to help mount it. The front 2 are visible through the duct if you are standing in front of the truck. I think I will use a black sharpie marker for now and when I find the mesh material I want to use for the grill, then I will add a mesh grill insert to the scoop as well.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:37 PM

Nice looking scoop... Think I may lean towards it also. I've been looking for a damage OEM 4Runner or Taco hood with a scoop to cut out but none are available at any of the wrecking yards I've checked. This is a great alternative. Thanks for the post and pics.

Quick Reply: After this swap sitting for almost a year Im ready to finish it with some help...?