3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

3.4 wiring help needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 09:15 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by toyotanick
˟˟˟˟. i have the plug, i cut it out 3inches back. where do i need to do all of these connections? i really need to get the damn truck running because i have nothing to drive to school.

can anyone maybe supply me a list of things that the engine needs? because i have no idea and can almost guarantee that i wont get this right.
Do you have the diagrams? It should tell exactly what every pin is for. Then just go through and match everything up.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dntsdad, what is you name suppose to mean or say? lol it has been bothering me for a while haha. sorry but im tired of wondering! lol

anyway, with the help of hamish18, i have got most of everything pinned. i am trying to get a tacoma throttly body so i can use the correct tps for my harness and i will know if she runs really soon!
Old 01-30-2011, 03:23 PM

sweet! Glad to hear you are getting it going.

D=dylan n=and T=Tyler s= plural dad=papa

I am Dylan 'n Tyler's dad
Old 01-31-2011, 12:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 02-01-2011, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by dntsdad
sweet! Glad to hear you are getting it going.

D=dylan n=and T=Tyler s= plural dad=papa

I am Dylan 'n Tyler's dad
OOOHHHHHHHH it all makes soo much sense now! thank you because i have been trying to figure out your name for months, maybe even years now! hahaha

yeah its coming along, i am trying to get a tacoma throttle botttle for as little as possible because the funding is getting very low! haha
Old 02-01-2011, 04:40 PM

because of the reccomendation of toyonlyswaps.com by hamis and i think a few others i gave them a call today about my throttle body problem. he knew of it as soon as i said
4runner. he said he can get me a tacoma throttle body for 100bucks plus somehwere around 12bucks shipping via flat rate box. my only question is if it will have the tps already on it or not. if so i will definatelly buy it. if not then that will make it a 200dollar throttle body just like the rest of them, and i will have to adjust it.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:59 PM

Hey guys, need this bumped. Nick has everything wired correctly from what I can tell, but once he starts it up, the motor will basically sputter and die.

Looking at the voltage at the COR the fuel pump blue wire has voltage until right when the motor dies. He doesn't have to keep it in the start position though. I went through every pin on the harness and everything checks out.

What we are curious about is the TPS. He doesn't know what year it was from. If he unplugs it and starts up the motor, it seems to run a little better. It doesn't die. If he plugs it back in after its started up the motor runs even better.

Anybody have any thoughts as to what else we may need to look for? I am out of ideas at this point.

Oh and the harness has a plug for the FPU(Fuel Pressure Up) vsv?? He didn't have that connected. Nor was there a vsv for it. On mine, the fuel pressure regulator's vacuum line just goes to that hard line that runs under the plenum. he had it setup that way as well.

We hooked up a vsv that fit the plug, but it didn't really make a difference.

Thanks for any ideas everybody!
Old 02-08-2011, 06:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just out of curiosity confirm that the MAF sensor isn't in backwards. As silly as it sounds that was my mistake upon first start up. The symptoms are the same as if there were a COR relay problem. When you start it, it attempts to run and then stalls out with fuel starvation because of the negative reading from the MAF.

I am thinking that when you unplug the TPS the ECM detects this and goes into a "limp mode" and attemps to keep the motor running by ignoring the MAF. As soon as it is recalibrated back into the system after being plugged back in, it returns to the same running condition.

Just something to check.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:38 PM

hehe I called him about that as I was writing that. It is pointed in the correct way. It just doesn't make any sense.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:40 PM

When I was researching swapping back to manual and using a Taco ECM I posted over at customtacos asking about the FPU which I never did really understand.

This is a link to my thread over there. EngolaGay is a SMART dude! I dont think that this will solve your issue but offer a bit of insight into its purpose.
http://www.customtacos.com/forum/sho...01#post1770101

Honestly, I would post up in the Tacoma forum at ttora.com or try to post at customtacos and see if EngolaGay will pick it up.

Many guys that know the Taco's inside and out.

I wish that I had an extra throttle body that I could send to him to try. Anyone have one off a motor that is being rebuilt that he could use??
Old 02-09-2011, 05:06 PM

i think i may give that a shot. it completely killed me when this truck didnt run yesterday, but i cant let that stop me. i have to have this truck done a.s.a.p so that i can get to school on my own and it would be really nice to be able to drive this beast for mardi gras. its a huge advertisement piece for my dads business and having it rolling during the largest celebration in the country is a must!

thank you dntsdad for the reccomendation, and once again i wanna say thank you to hamish, he has been more than help he has been a blessing!
Old 02-09-2011, 05:58 PM

also, this is a toyota 4runner engine. it have the same MAFM but a tacoma throttle body because of the 4pin tacoma harness, and 1995.5 tacoma ecu. other than harness, ecu and throttle body, everything else should be 4runner.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:53 PM

I keep thinking about this and the only thing that I can keep thinking about is the MAF to cause your immediate shutdown condition.

Did you post up in the Taco forum at Ttora?

I think that may be your best shot at getting some guidance as it obviously happening here. Of course not a negative to anyone here but this one seems over most of our heads. Mine at least.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:19 AM

haha no i didnt. i had some studying ang essay writing to do last night.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:04 AM

I just posted on ttora and told them my story lol so I'm crossing my fingers!
Old 02-10-2011, 02:05 PM

bah nobody has posted there yet.. Did you try to see if the TPS is out of adjustment?
Old 02-10-2011, 02:12 PM

no i didnt, im scared to mess with it. i have had tps adjustment problems before, apparently i dont know how to adjust them.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:21 PM

well dont adjust it, just get some feeler gauges and check it. And ya its a big pain in the ass.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:25 PM

Since you do not know what year or model the harness came from I am concerned that you are using wire colors rather than pin locations. Are you sure that you are verifying voltage, resistance, etc to a certain pin rather than a W/B wire for example since that may not be the correct wire color for the proper year harness for that ECM?

Does this make sense?

I would check all the voltage points on the MAF again. That will kill your motor instantly if it is not correct.

This is for my 97 Runner that I got from TIS but maybe its the same. I have no idea. Maybe someone here still has TIS Access and came grab the right on for your 95.5 ECM.
http://home.comcast.net/~dntsdad//MAF%20malfunction.pdf

Last edited by dntsdad; 02-10-2011 at 05:39 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:49 PM

Guys I think its his MAF. I just had him on the phone, and pulled the plug off mine, and it does the same thing. Starts, and then instantly dies. It sounded all crappy too.

Quick Reply: 3.4 wiring help needed