3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

3.4 wiring help needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 06:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i noticed that you do not have any info on wiring... so even though it is a VERY informatable thread, it didnt really help me at this very moment even though i think i will have to do the tach mod?

oh and why did you change your fiel pump?

also why does noone have the same plug as me? i have read over a crap load of threads and have not seen my plugs.

anyway, my main problem is that there seems to be several things in the body to engine harness that needs ignition or power but i dont think there are many power outlets available. am i suppose to splice these wires together?

my biggest issue is i dont really know how this is suppose to be done so when i am looking for stuff i am looking aimlessly. u have found:

-tach
-water temp sender
-oil pressure sender
-engine side of efi relay
-data link ground
-ignitor ground
-from injectors (needs ignition 2?)
several other grounds
a constant power needed
-from tach
-from temp gauge
-from oil gauge

and thats all i have at the moment. idk why but i am feeling very overwhelmed.
i am a car audio installer/ technician and lots of wires are kind of my thing but this isnt as straight forward as what i do.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i noticed that you do not have any info on wiring... so even though it is a VERY informatable thread, it didnt really help me at this very moment even though i think i will have to do the tach mod?

I think you might have missed the writeup. It is the "3.4 Swap Wiring Theory Write-up" link. It is a seperate thread that I created with PDF documents of the actual wiring conversion diagrams that I had done in my case, as well as a Theory write-up of how I figured things out. I am willing to bet this will probably nudge you in the right direction.

I went with the TRD supercharger and URD 7th injector setup which requires the additional fuel. If you go with stock 3.4 you won't have to do this.

also why does noone have the same plug as me? i have read over a crap load of threads and have not seen my plugs.

For some reason every year's diagram seem to refer to the plugs with different desigantions. (IE1, IE2, IH1, IH2, etc.) They basically are the same things, they just have different pin-outs and layouts.

anyway, my main problem is that there seems to be several things in the body to engine harness that needs ignition or power but i dont think there are many power outlets available. am i suppose to splice these wires together?

my biggest issue is i dont really know how this is suppose to be done so when i am looking for stuff i am looking aimlessly. u have found:

-tach
-water temp sender
-oil pressure sender
-data link ground
-ignitor ground
several other grounds
a constant power needed
-from tach
-from temp gauge
-from oil gauge

i am a car audio installer/ technician and lots of wires are kind of my thing but this isnt as straight forward as what i do.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:07 PM

OHHHH you are the theory thread guy! lol i have read that already. it was helpful but still didnt completely answer my questions. i still have to trailor the truck to the muffler shop so that i can have all of my o2 sensors in place for the first start. so it will probably be a few days
Old 01-17-2011, 09:25 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by toyotanick

I AM WRITING ALL OF THIS FROM MEMORY SO VERIFY BUT THIS SHOULD GET YOU STARTED IF ONE OF YOU GUYS SEE SOMETHING THAT I STATED WRONG CHIME IN AND CORRECT ME

-tach

Black to black

-water temp sender

This is just a wire to wire connection. They were even the same color in my swap. G/R if I remember correctly.

-oil pressure sender

Remember to swap the sender. This was also the same wire color and has no connection to the ECM. The wire just connects to your existing wire in the kick panel to feed the gauge. The ECM gets no information about the oil pressure.

the injectors are a part of the harness that gets power along with a bunch of other things via the EFI relay. I think that it was W/R in the truck and W/B in the harness (or maybe the reverse of that). Easy check. Find the W/R wire in the kick panel, hook your meter to it with the key on and it should have 12+, go pull the EFI fuse or relay in the fuse panel on the pass side under the hood, and it should go away. If so, that the one!! Hook it to the W/L(blue) of the 3.4 harness.

-data link ground

Ground under the dash somewhere. Mine works fine like that.

-ignitor ground

That grounds through the body of the ignitor itself. You can look through my thread for that if you want but its fairly easy to figure out. Clean the metal really well on both the ignitor and the body metal and bolt it down tight.

read above again....the stuff in pink

several other grounds

You can ground things anywhere.

a constant power needed

There is one there in the kick panel already. That really should be the easiest thing to find..............other than a ground.

-from tach

Black in the 3.0; black in the 3.4

-from temp gauge
-from oil gauge

Nothing comes FROM the gauges.

If you haven't noticed, everyone pretty much said the same thing. They, and me included, spent countless hours studying the EWD's before I ever touched a wire in the truck. I also have a lot of experience with wiring so that helped (an EX stereo guy also that also rebuilt theft recoveries).

I would not be in a hurry and take advantage of waiting for the exhaust and study. Its not that hard, even though I know that it seems like it, just take ONE wire at a time rather than staring at them all cause this is what happens.........

I would agree to get it going and then post up specific issues that you may encounter.

Last edited by dntsdad; 01-17-2011 at 09:27 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:47 PM

If all else fails, I highly recommend toyonlyswaps.com to do your wiring harness. I sent them my 3.0 and 3.4 harness all in shreds ( I first tried to figure out the wiring myself) and they had a complete harness with OBD2 and all that back to me in about 3 or so weeks. The only thing I had to do was extend my starter wire. Cliff (The guy that runs the place) is absolutley awesome and will not leave you hanging. He guarntees his products 100% (and yes, I put this to the test with my harness).

I didnt want to take the chance of doing all this work and frying something because I suck at electrical work.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:14 AM

there should be wires that feed the gauges arent there? well, anyway ill do these when i get back to work in a few minutes. i still have to purchase a battery lol.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:47 AM

Yes there are wires that "feed" the gauges but nothing that you have to run. The wires are in the kick panel for the oil, temp, tach gauges.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:10 PM

yeah thats what i am saying. even though i said the color it isnt actually used it was just kinda of a here it is lol i can find it haha
Old 01-20-2011, 11:33 AM

i do have 2 problems though. my largest one is the tps. i have a 4runner throttle body and a tacoma harness. the throttle position sensors arent the same. the tacoma is adjustable like the 3.0 and has a different way of rotating than the 4runner does. also, one tps is a 3 pin(4runner) and the other is a 4pin(tacoma) i am extremely tired of having to buy ˟˟˟˟ and am running out of money especially since instead of working and getting paid i am trying to get my truck running!

also, this harness apparently does not have a vss plug which would mean that it was cable operated right? well i should be able to strip the vss plug out of the old harness and attatch it to the 3 vss wires at the kick panel right? they should be corresponding colors and my diagrams tell me the colors but im not sure if the tell me what they do.

i have been horribly sick wednesday and today. tuesday i was able to go to interstate battery and pickup my red top 3478 for $148. man its nice having a dad that has an offroad business that gets me awesome deals around town haha. anyway i do have my battery so hopefully friday i will be able to do all my pinning and testing.

should i start the truck without the o2 sensors?
Old 01-20-2011, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so there isn't a TPS that would work? you can't just go get a TB from the junkyard that will work for the TPS you need?

I would confirm that the VSS isn't at the speedo. Mine was. I only had one wire to splice in. I have a 90 though. The EWD's will tell you what they do. I will look it up now..
Old 01-20-2011, 02:41 PM

So I didn't grab the 94 truck stuff. but the VSS wires are 8,13,19 on the IH2 plug for the 94 4runner. Could be the same on the truck? you can tell by looking at the combometer pdf in Vehicle Interior. You will want those three wires to stay intact. so if your harness doesn't have the plug, you will need to molest your 3.0 harness.

Then IH1 #20 is your spd wire that you will want to go from the body harness to pin E8 of the 95 5vz ecu since you have manual plugs.

It sucks that the 3.0 engine harness has that plug in it. To bad it wasn't like the fuel pump and it has its own little harness to those IH plugs. I hope this helps for you!

Regards,
Chris
Old 01-20-2011, 02:42 PM

OH! what about an exchange? See if you could exchange TB's at the junkyard??
Old 01-21-2011, 07:58 AM

it would be awesome to just be able to go to PAP and get a tacoma throttle body but toyota trucks are soooo rare that its danm near impossible. even in regular junk yards, there are barely any tacoma's. there are a few 4runners, but that still has me in the same boat,

as for the vss, the 3 wires you just talked about are right i think. last time i looked i saw them becuase i noticed i would probably have to do that. when i am finally not sick and can work on my truck i will let you all know what is going on and even try to get some pictures on here!
Old 01-22-2011, 07:39 AM

there was a guy selling 3.4 throttle bodies over on ttora. One newer and one older with all the stuff still attached.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:44 PM

i dont have a ttora account, i think i have to many as it is.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:57 PM

what is the 4th plug on my ecu for? do i need it? i hope not!
Old 01-24-2011, 09:10 AM

you need it but its the same plug as the 3.0. You use that. The place I go to for toyota swap stuff is A&G recycling in Creswell, OR. google them, and see if they would send it to you at a fair price? Thats if you are running out of options.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by toyotanick
what is the 4th plug on my ecu for? do i need it? i hope not!
Yes you definetly need it. It has many connections in it such as 4WD detection, MIL light, stop switch detection, speed sensor, etc. There was also some starting/charging stuff in there for me as well. I doubt you will be able to get her running without it.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:01 AM

˟˟˟˟. i have the plug, i cut it out 3inches back. where do i need to do all of these connections? i really need to get the damn truck running because i have nothing to drive to school.

can anyone maybe supply me a list of things that the engine needs? because i have no idea and can almost guarantee that i wont get this right.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:29 PM

what is the best oil to use for this engine? i want to run a good synthetic oil but i recall being told its not going to break in an engine on synthetic? so what do you guys suggest? even though the heads are broken in, nothing was done with the cams just bore and hone, and crank was turn .025 and now have all new pistons, rings seals, bearings, everything

Quick Reply: 3.4 wiring help needed