Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

Recommended oils for high mileage engines

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
n1das: Any leaks so far after switching to synthetic?
Old 11-22-2004, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by 4x4Yota
Dunno yet. Maybe too early to tell. None so far after about 400 miles of driving since the change.

A few years ago, it needed to have its valve cover gaskets replaced due them leaking and there have been no leaks since. Time will tell. The engine is definitely quieter overall since I switched it to synthetic.

~ n1das
Old 11-22-2004, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by n1das
Dunno yet. Maybe too early to tell. None so far after about 400 miles of driving since the change.

A few years ago, it needed to have its valve cover gaskets replaced due them leaking and there have been no leaks since. Time will tell. The engine is definitely quieter overall since I switched it to synthetic.

~ n1das
Good to hear. If you can give an update if you develop a leak. Seems like many have switched to synthetic at higher miliage with no leakage, most likely if the oil was changed regularly.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:41 PM
Contributing Member

I was running Valvoline 10-30 but upon recommendation from a couple friends, I switched to Castrol 10-30. My step-bro who works for BMW said that all they run is Castrol motor oil. There's probably a reason for that. So now I run Castrol and it seems fine to me. I guess time will tell.

:bounce2:
Old 11-22-2004, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by AgRunner06
I was running Valvoline 10-30 but upon recommendation from a couple friends, I switched to Castrol 10-30. My step-bro who works for BMW said that all they run is Castrol motor oil. There's probably a reason for that. So now I run Castrol and it seems fine to me. I guess time will tell.

:bounce2:
Yeah, pretty sure that all BMW's come with Castrol Syntec/German Syntec. The German Syntec is highly praised by the guys on bobistheoilguy. It is supposively going to replace all the American Syntec in the future.
Old 11-22-2004, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by 4x4Yota
Ahh the inevitable leak rumor of synthetics rises again.

I have run synthetic in my truck for 18 months now, and no leaks have developed because of it.
Old 11-22-2004, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn

I have run synthetic in my truck for 18 months now, and no leaks have developed because of it.
Actually some people have had leaking problems with higher miles directly after switching to synthetic, but many do not. On bobistheoilguy someone did a test showing how Mobil1/Amsoil cleaned dirty valve seals better than conventional oils. In turn if seals are worn and synthetic cleans them out you might develop a leak. If you change your oil at a reasonable interval and the engine is in good shape there shouldn't be a problem with switching to synthetic especially in Toyotas. The new synthetics are a lot better than they used to be of being compatable with seals. By the way how many miles on your truck? Just curious.

Last edited by 4x4Yota; 11-22-2004 at 09:55 PM.
Old 12-14-2004, 04:11 PM

12/14/04 Update: No leaks or abnormal oil consumption after 2k miles since changing from 10W-30 dino oil to Mobil-1 10W-30 synthetic.

I'm sticking with Mobil-1 synthetic!

~ n1das
Old 01-22-2005, 07:00 PM

1/23/2005 Update: No leaks after 5k miles since switching from dino oil to Mobil 1 10W-30 synthetic. Oil consumption: Negligible (can't tell on dipstick...still FULL!).

1989 Toyota SR5 4WD truck, 175k miles

~ n1das
Old 01-22-2005, 08:50 PM

Thanks for the updates. Good to know that Mobil1 is working well for you.
Old 01-22-2005, 09:06 PM
Contributing Member

Why does Quaker State leave "sludge" on the valaves. I have seen it first hand. Is it the Base?
Old 01-22-2005, 09:08 PM
Contributing Member

By the way I read somewhere that if your engine uses or leaks oil it will do it more with synthetic.
Old 01-22-2005, 10:45 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Glenn

Both my WRX and S10 have leaked oil directly after the switch....both were covered under warrenty and I kept using mobil 1.....I doubt it was coincidence, both happened less then 1000 miles after the switch....I think once you do the switch and dont have a problem, which I guess most vehicles dont, I just have bad luck, you'll be fine.....

I also had a high mileage Ranger that I switched to syn and it didnt leak.....I run dino oil in my Taco.....
Old 01-22-2005, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by CynicX
Both my WRX and S10 have leaked oil directly after the switch....both were covered under warrenty and I kept using mobil 1.....I doubt it was coincidence, both happened less then 1000 miles after the switch....I think once you do the switch and dont have a problem, which I guess most vehicles dont, I just have bad luck, you'll be fine.....

I also had a high mileage Ranger that I switched to syn and it didnt leak.....I run dino oil in my Taco.....
Where did the oil leak from on your WRX? Just curious.
Old 01-23-2005, 08:32 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by VolcomTacoma
Where did the oil leak from on your WRX? Just curious.
Somewhere around the oil pump....Like I said it was under warrenty, I changed it myself to syn, so I checked to make sure it wasnt the filter or plug and when I saw it wasnt I drove to the dealership and they fixed it...

On the s-10 it was around a rubber/metal compression fitting on a relocator line for either a oil cooler or filter relocator....I think it was the cooler...
Old 01-23-2005, 08:40 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bad_Bowtie_ssz71
I have always used Castrol GTX in my Chevies. Luckily the previous owners also used it in my Toy.
That's all my bossman at work will use in trucks. Now he has a Siverado SS. He won't dare let me touch it unless he knows for sure I am using Castrol GTX. As far as oil grades... go with what you think is best. Think about it.... in order to get the API symbol on any oil brands, the company will shell out millions of dollars just to have it tested and certified. So just about any oil is good dependion on what situation. For high milage engines, our dealership always recommend slightly thicker oil just to keep the blowby gasses down. I've always ran 5w-30 Mobil 1 in my 4Runner. The reason I run synthetic is just so I dont have to change the oil as often.
Old 01-23-2005, 08:43 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by epic37311
Why does Quaker State leave "sludge" on the valaves. I have seen it first hand. Is it the Base?
That was just a one time deal that became a rumor. Our teacher sent an API expert in our class to teach us about oil brands and viscosities and stuff. He said the whole quaker state deal could've happened with any oil. Dont believe everything you hear unless you've had PERSONAL and EXPERT experiences.
Old 01-23-2005, 08:45 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by CynicX
Both my WRX and S10 have leaked oil directly after the switch....
If you've read the manual then you know that GM does NOT recommend running synthetic oils. We have too many people that wont read the stupid things and wonder why they have problems. S10s especially, I asked our technician about it and he said it was due to the designs of the intake and seals and it wont hold as well.
Old 01-23-2005, 01:20 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Ironmike4x4
If you've read the manual then you know that GM does NOT recommend running synthetic oils. We have too many people that wont read the stupid things and wonder why they have problems. S10s especially, I asked our technician about it and he said it was due to the designs of the intake and seals and it wont hold as well.
There was nothing in the manual about it...when I get a new vehicle i read it from cover to cover...I'm weird like that....This S-10 was a 4.3 and it was a 2000, so maybe they added it in there in later years...

Matter of fact since it was lowered I had the dealer change the oil and I always took in Mobil 1 for them too use...they never mentioned anything too me....

I dunno, they fixed it, I sold it with 190k miles and the engine still running strong....
Old 01-23-2005, 03:09 PM

The molecules in synthetic are smaller, so if you have a leak with dino you will have a bigger leak with synthetic.

Quick Reply: Recommended oils for high mileage engines