Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

Getting the 4Runner detailed

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 04:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting the 4Runner detailed

so i've got this thing where i think it'd be a good idea to get my truck detailed once a year.

last september, i took it to a local carwash and for around $100 they detailed it. inside, outside, even the engine. it sure looked a hell of a lot better...but i think there was some room for improvement. i'd give the work an A-.

i just looked up Starr Detail and got a quote of $195 from them. 175 + 20 engine. their website talks the talk, it seems like they'd do an outstanding job. just wondering if i should shell out 2 bills to get the runner way cleaner than i'm willing/able to do myself.

the outside isn't terrible, maybe some swirl marks. the inside has some carpet stains, leather dirt stains, some plastic scuffs. it's not bad, but it's noticible and it bugs me. sure i'll end up taking my runner on the trail again, but for those few days/weeks it's clean, it's nice. feels like i'm starting over with a clean slate.
Old 08-24-2004, 04:29 PM
Contributing Member

I'm torn - the last time I did a thorough cleaning of Jade it took an entire Saturday. I thought it might be better to pay someone else but at the same time it's good to spend that much time looking at the truck - you never know when you'll catch something you overlooked previously.

If you got the cash and are pressed for time I'd say go for it. Just make sure they're claybar-ing and cleaning everything out nice.
Old 08-24-2004, 05:42 PM
Contributing Member

There's a guy on another import car board I'm on that has a fetish for detailing and quoted me a full detail/wax/wheels job for $80 and he uses very good products and has to post before and after pics on the site since that is what brings him the business.
I'm getting mine done next week.
Old 08-24-2004, 06:51 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking Outside detail

I detail the outside, wash, clay, polish (up to 3 different ones sometimes), wax and buff, then rewash for $125. It usually takes me a solid 6-8 hours, depending on the temperature and the paint, but it is easy money for a little bit of time and elbow grease.

Old 08-25-2004, 02:49 PM
Contributing Member

I used to do that with my old 4Runner, started learning for my Tundra and I only detail it myself. I just paid someone to do a detail on the Honda, and it look good for about a week, until I washed it once and everything that the detailer did, came off. I needed someone to use a machine to get all the excess compound marks off the body from the body shop paint job, and while the purpose was served, the wax and shine just didn't last. Plus they never detailed my wheels (which needed to be polished). Thirdly when I went back and did a clay bar treatment, I got alot of contaminate off my paint as it had never been clayed (even though they said they did). Then I decided to go cheap on the Honda and get Meguiar's, bad choice, and now I'm just waiting for a weekend where I don't have to do much and I'm just going to do the Zaino treatment. Tundra is always clean with the Zaino treatment

Anyway, my point in all this is I was once a scardy cat and was afraid I'd do more damage to my car if I tried to detail the outside and engine (inside wasn't too much of a problem I could do that very easily), but after reading what a lot of you guys have written and trying it out myself, I found it's really not that bad. Thanks especially to Corey and Bob_98SR5

So if anyone is in Sacramento, do not go to Bob's Detail Shop. I paid for the entire $200 deal and really their product was crap in my opinion. You get much better results when you do stuff yourself as it's your vehicle and you take the time to spend on more detail for you car.
Old 08-25-2004, 04:34 PM

Save the $200 bucks and do it yourself.