Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

Bad news for the turd, mushy pedal

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2002, 08:29 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad news for the turd, mushy pedal

My brake pedal is starting to get kinda mushy so I looked at the MC. It looks like it has been leaking a little. I have heard that you can replace the seals in it and make it good as new without buying a new MC ($$$) I have also heard that a MC from a V6 truck will move more fluid and improve brake performance.

Can anyone point to a writeup for replacing the seals or offer any tips or suggestions?

Thanks in advance, Matt
Old 11-29-2002, 05:29 PM
Banned

I'm thinking i'll need to do some searching on POR for this. I'll soon have another big PITA repair under my belt. I'll also soon have torn everything on the truck apart and rebuilt, one piece at a time.

I relish these challenges.
Old 01-03-2003, 09:51 PM

Check out that Lucas Additive company! They sell it at most auto part stores. My buddy used it for his power steering and it worked. It's real cheap too, worth a try!
Old 01-03-2003, 11:51 PM

If indeed the master cylinder is leaking, replace it. ( with the proper M/C for the vehicle ) The master cylinder was designed to provide the proper coefficient of friction needed to stop the vehicle.That means it should be perfect as is.
Replacing seals is not always as good as it sounds. Its a little harder then it looks and the housing is aluminum. If your M/C is some what old, it very well may be pitted internally.
I recommend saving the $$$ and doing it right. After all brakes are some what important.
Good luck, kxpaul.
Old 01-04-2003, 08:06 AM

Originally posted by kxpaul
If indeed the master cylinder is leaking, replace it. ( with the proper M/C for the vehicle ) The master cylinder was designed to provide the proper coefficient of friction needed to stop the vehicle.That means it should be perfect as is.
Replacing seals is not always as good as it sounds. Its a little harder then it looks and the housing is aluminum. If your M/C is some what old, it very well may be pitted internally.
I recommend saving the $$$ and doing it right. After all brakes are some what important.
Good luck, kxpaul.
I don't know of a good link off-hand for your year truck but I'd have to agree with kxpaul: safety first. I replaced the MC on my '87 Toyota MR2 way back when & it was really easy. The most tiresome thing is always the bleeding part.
Old 01-04-2003, 09:41 PM

This is somewhat related

link