Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

Amsoil

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2003, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Amsoil

What's the skinny on this stuff? Is it as good as they make it out to be, or is mostly just hype? I've never heard anything bad about it, but I don't really know anyone who uses it. What do you all think?
Old 06-01-2003, 04:51 PM

It's basically the most common aftermarket filter for the 3rd Gen 4runner, but not sure about the rest. It's proven to help increase airflow. Check out gadget's site at www.gadgetonline.com

Also you can use the search button because there are a lot of threads concerning this topic.
Old 06-01-2003, 09:23 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think he meant the oil, could be wrong though. I'm running amsoil everywhere, but I don't know if it's any better than any other synthetic. I'll probably switch to mobile1 the next time just because it's easier to get.

Steve
Old 06-01-2003, 10:32 PM

Yeah, I did mean the oil actually, but any other info is good as well. Toyo_Runner96, I appreciate the link. Some interesting reading. I am really interested in this stuff, and I am considering doing a full change-over in the 4Runner. BTW, I've been hearing some bad things about Mobil1. According to the Amsoil dealer that I talked to the other day (who seems like a pretty honest guy), he said that Mobil was bought by Exxon? (I think that's who he said), and that since then, their oil has not been what it used to be. According to the test results he was showing me, Mobil1 has slipped way down the chart. He said that a few years ago, they were right up there at the top. I thought I had read something about their quality going downhill not too long ago, so maybe there is some truth to it. If it is true, that's just all the more reason for me to switch to Amsoil.
Old 06-02-2003, 07:33 AM

If you switch to Amsoil pay the $20 and become a prefered customer, you get the dealer discount and if you plan on spending more than $100 a year, it's worth it! After moving 2 cars to Amsoil and soon the third, the prefered customer was an easy decision. As I recall, switching to the Synthetic ATF justified the prefered customer fee.
Old 06-03-2003, 06:46 AM
Contributing Member

I am in the process of transitioning my 4Runner to all Amsoil oil. I am starting small, with the MT fluid and rear diff.
Old 06-09-2003, 08:49 PM

I've been happy with Amsoil's products since I've used them, air and oil filters too. I run their Injector Oil in my sleds, great product!

Mobil 1 is now coming from the factories of Porshe and in the new Vette's, I'm told. This makes no sense, a synth oil doens't allow rings to seat! I will bet you a pinky toe, that Amsoil in a new motor would mean low compression forever, simply due to the rings not wearing in to the cylinder walls.

So, in my own conclusion, Mobil 1 is no more than a marketing tool for a synth oil that could be much better than it is, the name doesn't mean anything anymore.

Stick to Amsoil, it really does make more power.
Old 06-10-2003, 09:46 AM
Contributing Member

Question Switching to Amsoil

Hey all,

Im going in for a 75K service next weekend, and I was wondering a few things. I am planning on switching everything to Amsoil, so do you think I should just buy everything and have them do it all? Or would like a JiffyLube place be cheaper? I'm also having them check some other things out while its their... I have a few interior/exterior lights burned out, and I'm going to get them to do the TSB concerning the Fuel Gauge. Oh yah, and I'm going to get them to remove the running boards for me. :pat: I know, I should have been able to do it myself but I had trouble getting to the front bolts and they were on pretty tight. I know, I need air tools. Anyways, so do you think I would save more if I just let the dealership do their thing, and then have another place change everything else? Thanks for any suggestions. Peace.

Last edited by orangeman_85; 06-10-2003 at 09:51 AM.
Old 06-10-2003, 03:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Buy the amsoil yourself. I'd have Spunky Loob do the auto trans flush but find one w/ the right machine. check jalaber's site.

Removing the bolts off the running boards: you seirously don't need air tools. soak in some kind of penetrant overnight and then use a breaker bar (mine is a pipe), place over rachet and turn. It'll come off easy, trust me.

TSB EL010 is what you should reference re fuel gauge problem. if you have any questions, email me or PM me.

bob
Old 06-11-2003, 04:06 PM
rjm

amsoil

there is absolutely no problem using synthetic oil from day one in brand new cars, (with the improved technology and engines design's-these days) obviously gm, porsche and bmw already know this or their cars would not come with synthetic oil from the factory
Old 06-12-2003, 03:53 AM

I recently purchased a 2003 Highlander and contact Amsoil on when to switch over. Their recommendation was to run the standard oil until the first manufactures recommended change (5K) then make the switch. When I purchased my Tacoma the engine smoothed out noticably at just short of 5K. Maybe it was the ECU, maybe it was breaking in, but I'll do a dino oil and filter change at 1K and switch the Highlander over to Amsoil at 5K.