Engine Swaps Swapping an engine in your Toy, here is where to learn how

22r-22ret??

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 04:10 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
22r-22ret??

ive searched but to no avail, i wanna know if i was able to source an intake manifold turbo, ecu and wireing ext.. would it work on my 22r? or be worth while? or would i have to have diff pistons and crank? the truck is an 86 with 180K but with a rebuilt motor with a crawler cam, any answers would be great, im not gonna do this swap tmr or anything just wanting to know if it would work....
Old 06-26-2009, 04:10 PM

nooobody?
Old 06-26-2009, 05:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The pistons are different, yes. A standard 22R runs around 9.7:1 compression, where as a 22R-TE runs 7.5:1. You can pick a set of turbo pistons up on ebay for not too much. The crank and block are the same. The head on the turbo motors has a slightly larger chamber volume than the N/A head, but you can get away with the N/A head if you want.

I would watch out for the cam though. Turbo motors don't like overlap. Chances are your crawler cam will make the turbo motor a dog.
Old 06-26-2009, 06:09 PM

ahhh ic, i was just wondering, so in order to make her work good like a turbo motor should new head, cam and all the turbo accessories..the 22r is a good motor and with the cam in it it makes pretty decent power for its size, but of course always want more, you think a propane setup with a turbo would be a good idea? heard of people talking about it but never seen anything on it....thanks for the info
Old 06-28-2009, 12:54 PM

Actually, propane injection on a turbo motor works really well. If you were to inject the propane right into the intake to the turbo, it will cool the air charge down quite significantly, allowing for much more power. Remember, it's not the extra pressure that makes more power, it's the fact that the air is denser. By compressing colder air, you end up with a much denser charge post-turbo. The propane will absorb a lot of heat, assuming you're injecting it as liquid, and allowing it to expand within the intake piping.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is it possible to just swap the head out for a 22re? in exchange for a 22ret? my buddy has a 22ret for sale and i was wondering if i could just buy the head off of him?
Old 10-05-2009, 10:51 AM
Contributing Member

you will have to drill an tap for oil lines to and from the turbo.
Old 10-10-2009, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by 89yotabrah
is it possible to just swap the head out for a 22re? in exchange for a 22ret? my buddy has a 22ret for sale and i was wondering if i could just buy the head off of him?
Yes, as long as it's a late generation EFI (Which you probably don't need to worry about, ALL pickups had late gen EFI). You will need an oil feed, and oil drain for the turbo, like people said, you can tap the block for them. You will also need coolant lines for the turbo, which you can steal from just about anywhere. Run it in-line with your throttle body coolant lines for example.
Old 10-20-2009, 12:05 AM

The compression is changed by a spacer in the headgasket. When i got the gasket set for my old turbo that was the difference 7.5:1 CR is way too low for 8psi. I ran the non turbo gasket on my truck and it woke it up like crazy. The major differences are oilpump and timing cover(2 holes for oil iirc) tap for feed and return of oil, maf, ecu.

You could go with all the efi manifold, mega squirt management, you pick on injectors and turbo size and go aftermarket manifold. The stock rte turbo and manifold is junk. They are prone to cracking and the seals in the turbos going out.

If your looking to do it cheep get the stock stuff and bolt it on. Tap for oil feed and return and call it good. I would check bearing condition tho, FI motors wear rod bearings faster then n/a motors so you might just get that out of the way and start fres.