Solid Axle Swaps, All Years Anything SAS related

Rage's SAS

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My truck sits uneven,, im hoping its just the coils in the back.. Probalby not though..

ugh.

/threadjack.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by jacruz2
RaginYota - Don't forget to weld the spring pad on the drivers side spring perch or your truck will end up sitting un-even other then that your front axle looks good. Keep the pics coming!

I know exactly how it feels to do all the work yourself I think it makes you feel better about it when your all done.
Thanks, and I am waiting to weld it with the 220 welder on Friday. The 120 might be good enough but having it done with the 220 will give me the warm and fuzzy feeling.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:13 PM

Ragin - No problem I always wanted an extra cab but I opted for the 4cyl 4runner instead for the family room. If you were closer I'd come down and let you use my welder to burn that bad boy in.

Keep the pics coming

904 - If you're using TG springs I'd send them pics of your setup I remember a few months ago some guys were complaining about their rigs sitting uneven and TG told them to remove the springs and measure eye to eye. I'm not sure if they got new springs out of the deal or not but it's worth a shot
Old 03-13-2009, 07:01 PM

Well started early this morning and 12 hours later the IFS it out, and the front spring support is tacked in place. Tomorrow it should be done and we will start on the rear.

Here is this morning at 5 am

gotta love the rear springs.

last time the IFS crap was in the truck

Look what fell off

The easy part is done now for the time consuming part of removing the rest of the brackets.

Well everything is cleaned up and my friend Zack, worked his magic with the welder

and how it sits until tomorrow morning.

More to come tomorrow when I get home
Old 03-13-2009, 08:51 PM

NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you mount the spring hanger forward 3/4"?

Hey i don't see any sawzalls!

Looks good so far!
Old 03-14-2009, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by 904_runner
NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you mount the spring hanger forward 3/4"?

Hey i don't see any sawzalls!

Looks good so far!
He can't with the 3" springs. In fact, he needs to mount it 1/4" back of the front crossmember for a decent shackle angle and to have the tie rod and draglink clear each other on compression. Otherwise he'll be having to move the steering box forward.

I have all of these lifts down to a science at this point.
3" springs: 1/4" in back of the frame. Push the frame tube jig all the way forward in the body mount.
4" Springs 1/2" in front. Center the frame tube jib in the body mount
5" springs 3/4" in front. Center the frame tube jib in the body mount

Last edited by ScottyC; 03-14-2009 at 06:43 AM.
Old 03-14-2009, 07:38 AM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
LOOKIN GOOD BRO !!

Old 03-14-2009, 08:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
He can't with the 3" springs. In fact, he needs to mount it 1/4" back of the front crossmember for a decent shackle angle and to have the tie rod and draglink clear each other on compression. Otherwise he'll be having to move the steering box forward.
I had the same issue when I switched to the 3" springs. We mounted the spring hanger flush and then I just drilled new holes in the spring perches forward of the originals.

SAS is looking good. One thing I wanted to mention about the trail gear kit. It looks like your axle is done but if you used all the trail gear bearings in it I would consider changing them out for something of higher quality. Also if you are using the Trail gear high steer kit don't use the tie rod ends that came with it. At least if you do use them be prepared to be changing them in a month or two. Buy some 555 or something. You'll know when it's time when your truck tries to shake itself to pieces. LOL.

I also found that the spring and shackle bushings they suppy last a couple weeks. I think I read somewhere that they fixed that problem though.

They may have started supplying better bearings etc as well. I'm not sure.

Before all you Trail Gear groupies start going off, I'm not slagging the company. The kit is great but you get what you pay for. The consumables in that kit are cheap. Bearings, bushings etc. Save yourself some headaches down the road and toss in quality parts from the start and put the TG stuff in the trail spares box.

Enjoy the SAS! It was one of the best things I did to my truck.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by ScottyC
He can't with the 3" springs.

Crap i forgot he was running a 3" kit. Thought he went with the 4" like i did..

Anyways..
Its still looking good! Looks like its moving along a lot faster than my rig did!
Old 03-14-2009, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by neoworm0
SAS is looking good. One thing I wanted to mention about the trail gear kit. It looks like your axle is done but if you used all the trail gear bearings in it I would consider changing them out for something of higher quality. Also if you are using the Trail gear high steer kit don't use the tie rod ends that came with it. At least if you do use them be prepared to be changing them in a month or two. Buy some 555 or something. You'll know when it's time when your truck tries to shake itself to pieces. LOL.

We were discussing it before he started and i believe he used marlin bearings.

I also found that the spring and shackle bushings they suppy last a couple weeks. I think I read somewhere that they fixed that problem though.

That maybe true. Mine has lasted for the last 2-3months and i haven't had a problem yet.

They may have started supplying better bearings etc as well. I'm not sure.

Mine still say china on them, hence i went with the marlin kit

Before all you Trail Gear groupies start going off, I'm not slagging the company. The kit is great but you get what you pay for. The consumables in that kit are cheap. Bearings, bushings etc. Save yourself some headaches down the road and toss in quality parts from the start and put the TG stuff in the trail spares box.

That is exactly what i did, i believe Jeremy did too. Whats good about this is now we have spare parts for the trail, should anything happen.

Enjoy the SAS! It was one of the best things I did to my truck.
I couldn't agree more!
Old 03-14-2009, 08:12 PM

Mike-- I mounted it flush with the frame. Looks good I am about to post up the pics from today.

Yes I am using the marlins knuckle re-build kit w/ bearings

As far as the bushing and shackles, I am just gonna take it one day at a time. If they wear out then I will replace then with better quality stuff. I am extremely happy with the TG kit now. I am don't know what I will be saying in about a month or two, but like I said one day at time.
Thanks for the input about your TG issues, I will keep them in mind for future reference.

Last edited by RaginYota; 03-14-2009 at 08:38 PM.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:34 PM

Another day done and tomorrow and we have about 4 hours of work left. We finished the front today and got the rear spring ready for welding.

1st thing this morning Rudy is finishing up the frame with the hole-saw and Zack starting laying the bead on the front hanger.

Here I am removing one support from the slider. It was causing probles with the hole-saw.

The front is complete

The back was still on jack stands

How sits tonight.

I will have completed pics tomorrow.

Last edited by RaginYota; 03-14-2009 at 09:13 PM.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:40 PM

DDDDAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYMMMMMMMM

Quick freakin work on that beast!!

Looks great man..!!

Old 03-14-2009, 08:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
looks good!

what size springs did you go with front and rear?
Old 03-14-2009, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by RaginYota

more to come tomorrow...
I see " TG-F3" and TG-R4" " Im guessing 3" front and 4" rear...

Old 03-14-2009, 08:47 PM

Oh, Can I have some Girl scout cookies..?

Old 03-14-2009, 09:05 PM

Scuba.. you are to much bro LMAO!!!!... and yes you are correct, 3" front and 4" rear. It should level out nice since the front 3" will actually provide 4" of lift, hopefully..

About the girl scout cookies..... you don't want any. The damn things are like crack.. My daughter was selling them and.... yeah.... 42 bucks later and extra 10 pounds that I don't need..... i still want them... friggin thin mints and shortbreads are gonna break me.

Last edited by RaginYota; 03-14-2009 at 09:06 PM.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:09 PM

bhahah, thread jack : standing outside at work some little girl aske me to buy some, I couldnt refuse...
I just thought that was funny...

Like I said, Cant wait to see er finished !!

Old 03-14-2009, 09:16 PM

hey man it looks sick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-14-2009, 09:36 PM

FWIW, TG fixed all of their bushing issues around nine months ago.

The trunion bearings aren't as good IMO as the others, but in most cases, you can reuse the stock ones by simply cleaning and repacking them. I just wish someone else gave you a COMPLETE knuckle rebuild kit like TG does. Neither Marlin nor All-Pro provide the half moon felt protectors, nor the copper inner ring in their kits. At least TG does.

I have installed all of the "BIG 3's" SAS kits numerous times. So, I have a lot of experience with all of the kits available. I actually prefer the TG over all others based on how complete the kit is, and the fact that you just get soooooo much more in their kit. Yes, I am a TG dealer, but I also run the products on my own rig. I have built three personal rigs on top of at least 20 customer rigs. My first rig was an All-Pro rig (when I worked there). I still chose to use TG for my last two personal rigs.

Quick Reply: Rage's SAS