Solid Axle Swaps, All Years Anything SAS related

89 ext cab SAS

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so i got bored today and figured id clean up the housing and weld on my axle truss

getting it cleaned up

gonna have fun removing this

tryin to get the knuckle balls smooth. hopefully that dimple wont hurt anything

test fitting it

got it welded up.

now im twidling my thumbs till my parts show up. i am saving money up to buy the last parts of this stuff to get it built so its not all a bad thing
Old 04-04-2011, 03:48 PM

short update...

i just got off the phone with daves offroad and he said my parts came in this morning and they had just packed them all up... and even double checked my shirt size. hopefully ill see those parts soon. SAAAWWWEEETTT

then i checked my mail and saw this.

wabfab parts is supposed to be in today... but with the serious storms we had come through today i donno if im gonna see them till tomorrow... i cant wait... im goin nuts... i wanna build this rig... woohoo
Old 04-04-2011, 03:53 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Nice steeker!

Yep my UPS man I think ran for cover cause he is usually here by this time of day.

:wabbit2:
Old 04-04-2011, 04:04 PM

lol... well man i really cant wait to get these parts in... i wanna get this beast goin...
Old 04-04-2011, 04:11 PM
Banned

You should drive over one weekend and we'll go wheeling.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:16 PM

once i get this beast going id like to venture out and trail ride in other places. i really wanna get some protection on the truck before i go to actual "rock" trails and stuff though... but heck yeah ill come wheel... where do yall wheel over there?
Old 04-04-2011, 04:32 PM
Banned

Lots of local places around here.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:36 PM

yeah i figured... yall are closer to the hills than here... although we got a few good places here in good ole 'sippi. let me get this thing finished and get it runnin good and ill take you up on that offer
Old 04-05-2011, 03:55 PM

woohoo.... well since the UPS driver decided to drop my parts off at my moms work place instead of my home yesterday i got the parts this afternoon and had to dig in and check out what i got... its been so long i forgot lol. i cant wait to get some time this week and get it all welded up and lookin good. just got comformation that my gears and all is on the way from daves offroad so hopefully this thing is about to start comin together

TG highsteer diff cover knuckle ball gussets and knuckle service kit...

diff guard

i think im gonna go outside and try to get that diff cover to fit and welded up. stay tuned
Old 04-08-2011, 02:36 PM

aight... i think im gonna run my welder over.. im not the best welder and ill gladly say that... i can stick two peices together and havent had a weld break yet so im proud of that... but most of the time they look like total poop. ok so enough ranting... on with the pictures....

first of all.. had to remove the fill plug... easy fix tack weld a nut to it and just simply unscew it.

got the diff cover guard welded up. the welds look ugly but a grinder made them look better.

thats the last thing i got welded up. stupid welder ran out of wire

still gotta weld on the upper and lower knuckle ball gussets and stuff

my gears and lockers will be in next week and im gonna have a blast setting them up and gettin the axles built.. stay tuned
Old 04-13-2011, 06:39 PM

well i have my hands full now on this swap. got all my parts in that ive ordered... its getting fun now. its time to start building the axles and gettin this bad boy ready...

welp i got my welder fixed i guess...

got it all painted up

now thats a big box

and thats a pile of parts... dave hooked me up with 2 tshirts and a hoodie... THANKS DAVE.... YOU ROCK

thats a shiny birfeild

now i got plenty of work to do... i gotta sell some more stuff so i can afford tires and shocks... but its comin together soon.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lookin' good. You work fast. It took me like a year to do all that.....hehe.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:53 PM

i got some time to work on my front axle so i set up the knuckles and then got started on the front 3rd member. it took me a little bit of time to remember how things went back together and how to get the preload set right on the trunion bearings.

gotta grind some clearence on the knuckle ball girdles.

the knuckle wiper seals.

got it buttoned up.

got it ready for the 3rd member and axles to be slid in place.

now time to build the 3rd member. goin with 5.29 gears and a spartan locker up front.

stock 3rd

ring gear and carrier removed.

stock pinion setup.

ring gear bolts and lock tabs

time to remove the carrier bearings and swap in the spartan locker.

gotta knock the pin loose to get the center pin out.

then you gotta roll out the spider gears

anyone need extra spider gears to make a welded 3rd? haha

since i dont have a way to pull the carrier bearings off. i just cut the cage

then grind on the inner race of the bearing just enough to weaken it... and also warm it so its easier to knock off with a chisel be very careful when doing this. you dont want to grind too deep and ruin your carrier.

next up is installing this bad boy

i goofed and didint take any install pictures but its dirt simple so there wasnt anything really interesting.

and this is how my table sits till tomorrow or when i get more time to finish the 3rd member

stay tuned haha
Old 04-18-2011, 05:18 AM
Banned

Looking good.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:38 AM

Nice Build!
Old 04-18-2011, 06:11 PM

well i made a little more progress this evening after work. started settin up the gears in the front 3rd. trying to work on it a little bit everyday till i get it done... so here is the new progress...

new 5.29 pinion next to the factory one

makin a setup bearing to set up the pinion depth. bearing, meet die grinder.

using a piece of brass to knock in the outter races.

torquing the ring gear bolts. made sure to put the locking plates on there. they was a pain in the ass

setting the pinion bearing preload. i put in the solid spacer instead of the crush sleeve. works like a champ just takes time to get the preload set right.

setting the backlash.

well i ran out of time tonight to get it set right... gotta re adjust the pinon depth to get it right. hopefully gonna get it buttoned up tomorrow.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:53 AM

okay so ive had some trouble setting up the front end... it just did not want to cooperate with me. it took about 12 times of tearing it down and putting it back together to get the pinion depth set right and get the pinion bearing preload set.

ended up with this pattern... gonna run it like this...

after this i went ahead and dropped the 3rd member into the housing and started to finish up the build on this axle.

got the housing back on the table... and silicone setting up

dont forget to swap out this seal.

i filled the birfield with grease and then stuck the shaft in. it self paked itself

and now this is how the axle sits. im gonna put the spindles on it tomorrow and get it ready to swing under the truck and then start building my rear axle. i cant wait to get this thing finished...
Old 04-23-2011, 07:22 PM

aight i got a small bit of work done today and a large bit of frustration... i got the front axle basically ready to swing under the truck.. its gettin close to time for the fun part of this build up. i just gotta get some stuff sold so i can buy the last parts needed for this swap... i gotta get this damn thing movin... my left front tire is startin to resemble a drag slick... so here we go...

went ahead and loaded the knuckles up with grease and sealed them off... gotta get my hubs and stuff gathered up t put on there.

and after getting that taken care of i went to start building the rear 3rd member

this is the reason why my yota wasnt able to be put in 4wd and run on the trails. the rear diff sprung a leak and the guy that had it before me let the rear end burn up. factory 4.56 gears. sad deal.

went to pull the yukon grizzly locker out of the box and saw this...

:faint: welp that slows me up. i just sent dave a message and am gonna get the correct locker sent out. its as much my fault as anything beause i didnt catch the mixup when i first got the parts. no big deal as im not in a huge need for the parts today cause i still gotta get other stuff done. so stay tuned.... this build is about to get interesting
Old 04-23-2011, 10:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
btw, did you use Marlin axle seal? It's way better than the stock ones. You'll be replacing those sooner than you think. They are prone to leak. Grease and gear oil don't like to mix.

http://www.marlincrawler.com/axle/fr...xle-seal-hilux
Old 04-24-2011, 06:00 AM
Banned

Did you cross reference part numbers for the Grizzly to make sure the 4cyl and V6 don't fit the same application or something? Never used a Grizzly.

You should look into heading to ECORS in Auburn next weekend. Should be lots of fun.

Quick Reply: 89 ext cab SAS