Solid Axle Swaps, All Years Anything SAS related

84 Reg Cab Frame swap with my 93 xtra cab

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
84 Reg Cab Frame swap with my 93 xtra cab

Im on a mission to SAS my truck!! im sick of my flex-less ifs and not so high of a 3in lift (that rubbs!) and a buddy of mine has a 1984 frame just sittin at his house with the Front axel, rear diff, and the springs he hasnt given me his decided price yet but I plan on buying it and mating with my 93 Extended cab...3.0 /:

ive been researching quite a bit and talking to the local Yota Guru's and they all said it is possible but the frame of the 84-85 pickups are shorter wheel bases than my 93's frame...so if i play my cards right, Id be forced to roll w/o a bed (ghetto/tacky), bob my bed(liking the idea except the fact that ill either have to ditch my headache rack or bob it too), flat bed it (no go cause of insurance), or tube bed/and eventual exo cage (waaaaaay out of my 17yo budget but a dream of mine..even tho i work one 7 1/2hr day a week at $8.50 an hour before tax to cover gas/insurace/maintence, The only way I get my truck project money is from side jobs then craigslist and ebay wheelin & dealin, on top of running track and prepin for boot camp in sept...possibly/hopefully july it kinda stunts my desires a bit) So im ineed of input not plannin on takin on this project till after prom which is next month but i need advice, warnings, more possibilities ect. ect. as of now what Im thinkin is swapping my current rear leafs to the front w/o the add-a-leafs, throwing 3in blocks in the rear (just for now untill i save the pennies for shackles) then throw in my cherry ifs steering box i just picked up for $65 w/the arm!! Exteneded Shocks + All Pro Shock Hoops, Skys "Toyota" front Axel Truss, then no high steer for now cause of the budget. what else do I need after this besides blood sweat and tears? Im debating on throwing a Skys 1in body lift during the frame swapping process?..........Help me out guys im losin my mind!

Last edited by Dthompson20; 04-02-2012 at 10:00 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BUMP!! i need some input!
Old 04-06-2012, 11:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
84Chassis/93 Ext. Cab

This can be done. The body mounting locations for the cab are the same for a reg. cab of both years. You may need to add a mount on the 84 chassis for the very back of the ext. cab, but if it is a longbed chassis, I think that the mounts are already there. The wheelbase for an 84 is : shortbed - 103", longbed - 112". The wheelbase on the 93 Ext. Cab I beleive in 121.5" or so. This means that you will need to bob the bed -probably on both ends for it to fit correctly. If you have the 3.0 V6 (this would be a great time for a 3.4 swap), you will have to cut the engine mounts off of the 84 chassis (they only came with the 22R/RE 4 cyl.) and then weld in the mounts from the 93 chassis - which you will also have to cut off of the 93 chassis. If you allow the original 84 transmission/tranfer case mount to dictate the location of the motor mounts, then the engine should be located fairly close to where it needs to be. (I have done this with a 93 4Runner body on an 85 sb truck chassis). This should also allow you you us the stock driveshafts (84).