Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

Off-road alone

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2003, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Off-road alone

how many of you off-road alone? either because no one else wants to go or you'ld rather do things alone?

when and when wouldn't you go driving by yourself?
what would be some things to consider if you did go out alone?
Old 02-05-2003, 08:16 PM

I don't go alone because I don't think it's safe & I don't have all the necessary equipment.

First & foremost: if you go alone and something happens where you are incapacitated and possibly bleeding, you can't take care of or apply first aid to yourself. Phoning for help might not be an option and may be too late anyway. There are other reasons, but this would be the most important one.

If you do go alone, I'd recommend the usual offroad checklist items and definitely a winch.

Al
Old 02-05-2003, 08:25 PM
Contributing Member

I agree with HBoss in that it can be dangerous. If you're just going on an off-the pavement tame trail (no steep hills, mug bogs, rivers, rocks, etc.), and it's near a major road, it's not nearly as dangerous--especially if you have cell coverage and/or a CB. It also helps if you've been on the trail previously. Going out "exploring" alone is probably not a good idea because you don't know what you may encounter.

Check to see if there are any 4wd clubs in your area. You may be suprised how many people go out each weekend (or during the week!) and it's a great opportunity to meet new folks with a common interest.

Matt
Old 02-05-2003, 10:12 PM

what if you're not alone in the vehicle, yet you may be the only vehicle? would that change things?

i may look into local groups but i don't have lots of time to commit and i really don't know what my weekends will be like until usually saturday morning and i wake up and have to figure what else needs to be done. so often times to go off-road may be a last minute decision to do something that morning/afternoon.

there is an area sort of close by that is popular for off-roading so in some ways i wouldn't be the "only one" out there but i may not be part of some organized group. i am new to all this so i doubt i would do something i didn't think i had the skills for.

i understand the serious risks and potential danger that might happen but how "dangerous" might some fire roads really be?
Old 02-05-2003, 10:37 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can do the fire road thing alone if you like; I do on
occasion.

Just be prepared to accept likely consequences. Unless
you're getting crazy, your most likely problems will be
mechanical, not medical.

Are you prepared to spend a wee bit more time out there
than you intended? Water, food, warmth?

Take a look at any of the basic 4wheeling books, and they
will have lots of suggestions as to what to carry to be
prepared for light crises.

(Some of them suggest carrying a spare 4runner in parts,
which is a bit overkill for someone as mechanically inept as
I am.)

If you are doing high challenge stuff, where significant
damage to you and your rig is more likely, bring a friend!

What part of CA are you from?
Old 02-05-2003, 10:45 PM
Contributing Member

I often find myself going it solo off road. I wheel pretty much every weekend and for longer trips in the Summer. It's hard to find a large enough group of people so that there is ALWAYS someone around who wants to go, so I end up alone.

With that said, there's plenty that can go wrong on an FS road. Breakdowns, animal strikes, personal injury, logging trucks and rock falls are just a few of the things I have "run into" while in the back country alone.

But, to some extent you can limit but not eliminate your exposure with careful planning. Taking spare parts and tools can save you from some nights in the woods, but ultimately something is going to happen that you can't fix and at best you are stuck, at worst you are hurt and stuck.

I limit the difficulty of the trails I run and tend to be really alert when I am alone. I carry provisions to survive several days and my truck is pretty well equipped with tools, parts and accessories to make it less likely that I will be trapped, but more pleasant when that eventually happens.

I am just a few months away from celebrating my 20th anniversary as an off roader, so I have learned a thing or two along the way, but I would recommend someone new to the sport spend some time with back up close at hand until they have some runs under their belts. Depending upon your ability and confidence, you have to decide for yourself if the risks are worth it
Old 02-05-2003, 11:21 PM
Contributing Member

Good topic and welcome to the forum.

I do pretty much all of my excursions alone, save a couple group rides here and there with other local members of the board. The only reason I got into the 4-wheeling sport was because of my love of landscape photography. No one wants to be held up by the camera guy and I don't want anyone holding me up. Plus, working out vacation plans could be quite a project between individuals. I do all of my minimal amount of hiking alone as well. I love it. I love the solitude and quietness. I am a very independent guy anyway so it is just my nature.

All but 2 4WD trails I've been on here have been while alone, including our deadliest. It should be noted that last year was my rookie season off-roading as well. I don't even own a cell phone and don't care to. I do bring a whistle along though. The only thing that I am ever concerned with at all while being out are mountain lions/cougars. Those things have me so spooked you would not believe. I've never seen one, but had a series of events that hit too close to home back in '97 that I am always on edge, which is a vast understatement.

Oh, I suppose there are a lot of what-ifs involved whether wheeling, hiking or camping alone, but there is a lot in everyday life as well. I don't choose to live in doubt though. Sure, going with someone else is "safer" but it is possible to play it safe alone as well and be prepared in general. I'm not Mr. Extreme by any stretch of the imagination, but it doesn't hurt to be friends with the Lord though either.

Can't wait 'till the snow melts in the high country so I can go out and do it again. Until next time, play it safe out there.

Happy trails (alone )
Old 02-06-2003, 04:49 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I have often gone alone in the past and will continue to do so.
I sometimes get the "urge of the moment" to head up to Greenwater and explore.

Most of the stuff I do is fireroads, and also old abandoned ones with overgrowth on them.
Rob knows the area quite well I am describing.

It is nice to do that to get away and take a lawn chair and just hang out in the chair for lunch up there and maybe grab a short nap and contemplate life while out in nature.

I do take all the essentials along with me also, actually they are in the rig most of the time anyway.

But to do a much harder trail alone I have not, I go in a group for that.
I keep it to simple stuff when alone.

I go alone a lot of times just to escape the city, pretty much how I use to backpack Mt. Rainier alone for days at a time when I was younger.
Old 02-06-2003, 06:09 AM
Banned

I also used to wheel alone a lot. I learned a lot about what not to do. One of my first trips out I got a flat only to find that when I bought the truck it didn't come with a jack or lug wrench, then it started raining. I drove on the rim, made a wrong turn, backtracked, finally found the improved road and a house. I begged to use the phone and then had to have the guy explain to my friend how to get to where I was, I had no clue.

Another time I got stuck on a rock in the middle of 30 inch deep water. I had to hike a mile to a campground, soaking wet, to beg for help. Live and learn.

Now I carry a bunch of self recovery equipment... Hi-Lift jack, comealong, winch and accessories, ect. I also carry lots of drinking water, Snickers bar survival rations, extra clothes and a sleeping bag. I'm prepared to spend a couple of unplanned nights in the woods if necessary. I still wheel alone whenever the urge strikes me. My mistakes in the past tought me a lot along the way. I've been doing this about 5 years now.
Old 02-06-2003, 01:28 PM

Scottiac mentioned some basic 4wheeling books. what would you recommend? Something with a "supplies list" of things i would need to take.

part of the solo thing for me, Darren hit on the spot. I too like landscape photography but don't want to hold up a group. I like the solitude and quietness.

and as Corey mentioned i think it would be nice to get out take a lawn chair, have a picnic out in the woods with my wife and just hang out, relax and enjoy nature.

but i also don't want to feel that this is totally "crazy" and no one in their right mind would do such a thing. which by the responses i don't think it's too unreasonable as long as you're careful. but i also need to keep in mind my lack of experience and stock machine.

and what's a "comealong"?
Old 02-06-2003, 01:49 PM
Contributing Member

what's a "comealong"?

Basically, a big ratchet strap.

Old 02-06-2003, 03:11 PM
Banned

Originally posted by moschika

and what's a "comealong"?
The one I have is designed as a cargo tie down for big flatbed semi trailer. Its 30 feet by 3 inches nylon, ratchet strap type thing rated at 11,000 pounds. I think I got it at Federated Auto Parts for around $25.
Old 02-06-2003, 03:23 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I am alone almost every time I go anyplace, I almost prefer it now, but it's not by choice, although sometimes a buddy of mine with a Cherokee comes with me.
Old 02-06-2003, 05:11 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Everyone has a favorite packing list of stuff for trips, and
they are definitely most important riding alone. One of
the books I remember going through:

Harry Lewellyn: Shifting into 4WD
Fairly basic, good for noob's like me!

Also check out Bill Burke's articles

He has some pretty good lists lying around.
Old 02-06-2003, 06:00 PM
Contributing Member

I wouldn't do hard stuff, but if its on a forest road I go by myself knowing I have a reliable vehicle. If I was driving something with a history of unreliability or very high mileage, I'd think twice. The farthest I've gone on a FS road was something like 30 miles in to a lookout that turned out to be staffed when I got there. I think I passed one other vehicle on the way out and that was it. Would have been a long walk out to paved road followed by hitchiking to the nearest civilization.

In terms of personal survival, I'd also check out some of the books on backpacking and hiking. If you're out somewhere and your rig breaks down, its just about like backpacking. You'll need stuff to stay dry, warm, food to eat, sleeping bag, etc. - the amount depending on the location and time of the year. If you go prepared to be out there assuming you have no vehicle then you've kind of handled the worst case. (Assuming your gear doesn't burn up in a vehicle fire or something like that - then you're really in survival mode.)

I usually try to go prepared to walk a few miles (including a large day pack to carry stuff in) in bad weather. I figure I'm not going to sit around for someone to report me missing and be rescued if I can physically walk out and get my own help. I might think differently if I was in the desert where I might not be able to carry enough water, but in the Cascades in Washington state I figure if I drove in I can walk back out the road without putting myself at much risk.

I have not gone out by myself in winter and wouldn't unless I was fully prepared to travel through snow or rain all day and winter camp. I think I'd only want to be in places that other people go regularly. I wouldn't want to risk the chance of being snowed in or whatever- that could be real bad.

Alan
Old 02-06-2003, 06:03 PM

ok, i've used those "comealongs" before. we just called them ratchet straps. but this was to cinch stuff down on a flat bed. not sure how they are used off-road.

thanks Scott for the article link. and book suggestion. will definitely check those out more.
Old 02-06-2003, 06:16 PM

I've got a couple of books on the subject, but the best one by far just came out last year, 4-Wheeler's Bible by Jim Allen.

Unlike my other books, it's filled with hundreds of sharp color photographs and detailed explanations of equipment, techniques, etc. Allen is also an excellent writer.
Old 02-06-2003, 08:28 PM

I hate to argue a point, OK, I don't hate to argue

You should never go wheeling along, end of story. I know that we've all done it and many will still do it. Let's also get on the same page as to what wheeling is. Running many of the forest sevice roads doesn't even require 4wd. For clarity, I would call this exploring. Now exploring you can do on your own if you've got your self properly prepared (see Rod's list).

Even the toughest trucks can break down doing the simplest things. Story in point. I drive a 94 4Runner, pretty dependable truck Early on, I had a simple lift kit and mild mods. I was touring the forest service roads near Manatash when my right front CV joint pulled apart and then twisted the differential mounts. My buddy and I had the tools and spent 5 hours to get back to the campground. Without him, I would not have made it back.

Two weeks ago, with what is a very well built rig, I was touring the main roads at Evan's Creek looking for some snow for my kids. Somehow my right rear axle broke (probably from the pounding it took on the potholes on the way to Evan's Creek). On the way home, the right rear wheel fell off at about 30 mph. Without help to get home, I would have had to leave the rig and start walking.

These are two example of EASY wheeling that bordered on exploring in which there was no expectation of breaking, no hard stress on the rig. It just broke.

Many of you guys running the fire roads aren't crawling along. Sliding off the road, or breaking something is certainly NOT a low possibility. I got my nickname UPNDAIR from racing fire roads early on, seeing how high I could fly. Crunch! The front suspention literally tore apare and I limped home for 20 miles at under 10 mph with front axles flopping around and 80 weight all over the place.

You can go exploring but please DON'T go WHEELING by yourself. If you need 4wd, you're wheeling and you NEED to have at least one more rig with you.

Last edited by upndair; 02-07-2003 at 07:48 AM.
Old 02-07-2003, 07:24 AM

I guess I should have clarified my original post but it was so very well done by Gibby.

There's a diff between exploring and wheeling. If you're exploring, yes go have fun. It's like driving out to someone's farm...don't tell me you wouldn't do that alone. Wheeling I still don't recommend ever going alone due to all that might go wrong.

Al
Old 02-07-2003, 02:30 PM

thanks for clarification on the wheeling and exploring thing. i think what i had in mind most was "exploring", given my lack of experience with "wheeling".

i can appreciate the concern that things happen even when you don't expect them. i've found myself in a few of those situations with past cars and trucks and don't really care to find myself in more.

anybody ever take a mountainbike with you in case you do break down? biking out would be a lot easier and faster to get help then hiking. now there is something that you could argue not doing alone either yet 99% of the time i ride solo.

Quick Reply: Off-road alone