Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

[colorado] Anyone planning on a aspen viewing/trail run?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2003, 05:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[colorado] Anyone planning on a aspen viewing/trail run?

I'm not sure when the Aspens are supposed to be at their peak colors - but is anyone planning a trip in the next few weeks to see the aspens / do a trail run? My main goal is to see some cool colors - so even an easier run would be ok with me. I just don't know where the best spots/trails for viewing are.

John
Old 09-16-2003, 11:09 PM
Contributing Member

We were planning a run up Taylor, Pearl and possible Schofield this weekend. So far it's just Darren and I. The invitation is open to everyone!
Old 09-17-2003, 08:12 AM
Contributing Member

Re: [colorado] Anyone planning on a aspen viewing/trail run?

Originally posted by Mojo_Risin
I just don't know where the best spots/trails for viewing are.

John
You mean you don't even know where to start looking for that information? You need to start hanging out with me more! Well, here's a start:

http://mycolorado.org/fall_drives.html

Here's a thread from CO4x4 last year that has some information. I haven't traveled most of those in the fall, though to know exactly how good they may be.

Do you prefer day trips, or do you mind traveling further away from town? I'm not too sure of what is close by for good aspen viewing other than what may be listed in that CO4x4 link.

I always take a week off for the fall colors, and as of right now, I have it scheduled for next week. I think that will be way early still based on what I've seen to this point, and will probably push it back a week.

As Alan mentioned, we're headed out to Aspen and Crested Butte this weekend, which is an awesome area for leaves. I think we'll definitely be a little early for the leaves, but will be able to get a first-hand report of their progress. We want to run Pearl still, if possible, before it gets snowed in, if it hasn't already. And Alan wants to run Schofield, too, and those are as scenic as any.
Old 09-17-2003, 10:28 PM
Contributing Member

And because I know there's more than just 3 of us interested in the aspen turning colors, I just wanted to also point out that on my "fall drives" page link above, I keep updates there as well, and will continue to add them. I added my second one a short while ago with some excellent links to provide the when and where information when I'm not around. Just wanted to spread the word to those of you who like this time of year as much as I do.
Old 09-18-2003, 10:50 AM

Darren,

Thanks for the Info. You should know by now that we're "Day Trip" people. Not to mention it's getting way too cold in the high country for us to camp.

So, I'd like to find a place fairly close (2-3 hr drive) from denver.

Keep us updated on how the aspens are looking...

John
Old 09-18-2003, 11:41 AM
Contributing Member

I guess I somewhat know you're not "day trip" people, it's just that I'm in a state of denial and can't believe you "don't want" to really see what's out there. I was actually glad to see you both tenting it at the jam. You're making positive steps here!

I'm actaully a little nervous how cold it's going to be, too. With as cool as it's been here in town at night, I can only imagine what it will be like above. I'll have to put my tough skin on when I go out. It's never been really cold before this time of year when I've been out.

I wish I knew of some decent places closer by, but the fact is I try to stay further away due to the people factor, and really don't know of any. I always hear Guanella being brought up for aspen, but I don't find it to be that attractive.

I'll be sure to post any updates I have or come across.
Old 09-18-2003, 12:42 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Home: Aurora, CO; Work: The People's Republic of Denver
Sounds like something I'd like to get in on. Looks like the aspens will be turning around the first & second weeks in October, so that would be a prime time to do a leaf run. But then you're also running the risk of snow higher up, but it should still be a great time to go. Can't make it this weekend (fiance has made some plans already) but will try for something next weekend.
Old 09-22-2003, 05:42 AM

hey darren, did you get to run Taylor, Pearl and Schofield this weekend ? how was it? any snow? pretty tough? i havent had the pleasre of running those and was just wondering? i probably would have gone along if my skidplates were back anyway another pretty good place to see the aspens is argentine pass just off of the guenella(sp?)pass road. not too tough but very scenic!
later
kerry
Old 09-23-2003, 12:47 AM
Contributing Member

Here's another one of my updates on the leaf activity:

http://mycolorado.org/images/fall_preview/index.htm

Kerry, I completed Taylor only. Didn't run Schofield. And got up to the last ~400' on the northern approach on Pearl. I have some sweet pictures that I have waiting in line to put up for my Pearl Pass trail update. I think I'll do that one next. It will be 2 weeks or so before I get to it, though. Awesome trail. The Ashcroft/Aspen side it more difficult than the Crested Butte side by far, but no biggie at all. Awesome, awesome scenery and had quite a ball.

Alan was supposed to be my counterpart on this but blew his BFG KO out on the "remains" of Iron Chest and had to call it a trip a few hours after it started. Alan, I see you ordered Revos. What gives? I'm not knocking your decision by any means, as I know they're a great tire . . . for the masses. I just think it's a constant threat with the trails you like to run. Maybe though next year, they aren't going to be the ones getting the abuse! I am curious on your decision on those, though. I thought I read that they are less tough than the KO's, but I really don't remember for sure. I'm curious how the rest of your trip was and how you came out with a lug stud. Sorry you couldn't join me for the duration.

Last edited by Darren; 09-23-2003 at 12:49 AM.
Old 09-23-2003, 05:26 AM

that sounds like a great time can't wait to see the pics
later
kerry
Old 09-26-2003, 05:22 PM

Any more interest in getting together this weekend for a leaf run?
Old 09-26-2003, 10:22 PM

I am running Slaughterhouse on sunday 9/28 with some other people. hoping that the aspen look good. you are more then welcome to come along. we will be meeting at the Safeway on the right side of 285 in conifer.
Old 09-27-2003, 08:36 AM

Alright guys looks like I'm in for Sunday
Just like to know head count and what time to meet
in Conifer.
Old 09-27-2003, 09:11 AM

It looks like there are about six of us. A couple from this site and some other people. We are meeting in conifer at 11am and I will be in a Red 92 4Runner with a black roof rack.
Old 09-28-2003, 06:02 PM
Contributing Member

I'll be posting a thread and hopefully some pics of our 3 day trip up to Aspen and the view around our campsite was incredible. I also got to take the truck off road and use 4WD for the first time and it was a blast and got the Runner all mudded up.