Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings
View Poll Results: CO4RJ 2007
Tellurude area.
16.67%
Buena Vista area.
22.22%
Glenwood Springs area.
0%
Name It- Im there.
38.89%
Dont Care- Im not going/cant go.
5.56%
Other- please post where.
0%
Whats CO4RJ ?
16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Co4rj 2007

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 08:47 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How about August 24-26? We won't have to worry about snow and it'll still be warm but not really hot.

Depending on the number of RSVPs, we could have three trail classes each day - easy, moderate, difficult. I'd be more than happy to lead moderate trails on two days. But, I'd like to try my hand at one of the difficult trails on the last day. Especially if I have either a new bumper or winch by then.

Here's my coverage of CO4RJ 2003 - http://www.haveblueonline.com/co4rj/CO4RJ.htm
Mt. Antero is a very easy trail and can be negotiated by a stock rig. Heck, I've seen a stock AWD Camry wagon go a little ways up. If someone wants to lead that trail, I can draw some very detailed maps.
Tin Cup is also very easy and can be navigated by a stock rig. The bonus on this trail is that it ends at the south end of Taylor Reservoir. There's good fishing there.
Pomeroy is a good moderate trail that will require the use of a locker at least once.
Taylor can be described the same as Pomeroy.
Wheeler and Chinaman's are both difficult and require a good degree of skill and vehicle modification. IIRC, one driver in 2003 left the trail sans rear glass. Others here have a more accurate story on that.

On the other hand, Telluride/Ourey offer the likes of Engineer, Ophir, Imogene, and Black Bear pass. I've never seen any of these trails, but I know others have (Paging Darren...).

So, if we can agree on Buena Vista, I'd be more than happy to help plan and lead if Ric is will to do the raffle. And I'll create a couple CO4RJ 2007 decals. I'm still sporting my "pucker gauge" from '03.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by HaveBlue
How about August 24-26? We won't have to worry about snow and it'll still be warm but not really hot.
I think that date is a little late in the month - it may be warm during the day but at night (when we sleep in tents) is butt arse cold. Plus, I think school has started by then for a lot of folks - which makes it more difficult. (at least i think that's true but i don't have school aged kids yet)

Mt. Antero is a very easy trail and can be negotiated by a stock rig.
It may be easy but it's not for people who don't like heights and narrow shelfroads.

And I'll create a couple CO4RJ 2007 decals. I'm still sporting my "pucker gauge" from '03.
I'd be willing to do the art again this year (I've done every year's since the 1st one) - and I actually have some artwork pretty much done already.

John
Old 01-23-2007, 09:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For those of us who attend school, any time up to the middle of August is great.

I have attended events the first and second weekend of August and that is a good time. Not too cold, not too hot, people aren't back to classes.

Buena Vista is pretty over done.

If we end up back there, please consider last time we were there it was a weekend that magically fit between a Bronco gathering, a Cherokee gathering and a Pinzgauer gathering. That place is a hot bed because it is the only place with good camping and a diversity of trails.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:36 AM
Contributing Member

It may be easy but it's not for people who don't like heights and narrow shelfroads.
Good point. But, there are no shelf roads if you stay right at the fork and head up to Baldwin Lakes.

I'd be willing to do the art again this year (I've done every year's since the 1st one) - and I actually have some artwork pretty much done already.
It's all yours.

I think that date is a little late in the month - it may be warm during the day but at night (when we sleep in tents) is butt arse cold. Plus, I think school has started by then for a lot of folks - which makes it more difficult. (at least i think that's true but i don't have school aged kids yet)
Then how about August 10-12?

Last edited by HaveBlue; 01-23-2007 at 09:47 AM.
Old 01-23-2007, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Ric
cool,
thats very possible, got any ideas of the trails that way ? we are still open to any place, just trying to gage the interest.

BUT, someone needs to step up and start with the planning, the dates etc.

I was up there last year, there are some great ghost towns and a lot of trails...