Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

Anza Borrego Runs

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anza Borrego Runs

I'm hoping to spend quite a bit of time out in Anza Borrego late this summer when it cools down a bit, and into the winter. I'm a photographer, so my primary interest out there is scenic locations to shoot, or interesting areas to explore. I have a stock 04 4Runner 4x4, and I'm looking for some rather easy, scenic runs out in Anza Borrego. I really don't want to push the limits with anything, but I'd like to get out a ways from the highways to seek out some great scenery. I have a pretty decent map of the area, but I'd really appreciate some recommendations.

Also, what is the current status of permit requirements in Anza Borrego? I've had a hard time tracking down the current info for that. Are they still requiring day permits for if you park to hike/camp? Is there a yearly permit available?

Thanks a bunch!
Old 07-22-2004, 10:54 AM
Contributing Member

Have you tried a search about this? There are quite a few threads and pictures. Sounds like a cool idea (well in the winter anyway).
Old 07-22-2004, 11:12 AM

I did a few searches, but didn't find anything conclusive. You guys are a heck of a lot more serious about off roading than I am, so that's why I figured I'd ask for some specific, easy runs that aren't too challenging, but bring me to some scenic spots. The last thing I want to do is end up on a run with a difficult spot that is beyond my abilities.

Last edited by BenSD; 07-22-2004 at 11:21 AM.
Old 07-22-2004, 02:01 PM

Well, I went out with a group from this board in March, and was lovingly and thoroughly abused.

Everyone was nice, but there was little time for scenics with all the mad cap antics and goings on.

This was on a Saturday though, and most of the group dissolved that evening. Sunday the real badasses like Lance, Bruce, and Marc went off to another area to ply their trade and I waited for my cousin to show up in his X-terra.

We spent the day going to the more scenic areas and it was pretty darn fun.

We hit the Gas Domes and Artesian Well, then tried to take the Crossover trail to the north exit of the park but turned into Tule wash instead and took that out.

Suffice to say that you can hit some isolated areas out on the lesser traveled tails, and the east side of park that doesn't allow cross country travel is pretty empty.

What format are you shooting in? I.e. do you need setup time for medium or large format?

I would recommend the Crossover trail, but it gets hard to follow at it's end.

The Gas Domes and Artesian well are really cool. Especially the latter, as there is NO ONE there.

I'm planning on heading out again, and I'm sure a group from here will be forming up for the cooler weather.

If you're up for it post and let people know you're going, as I'm sure a few would like to go out and toddle around.

I'm more into exploring and sightseeing anyway for the most part.

Also, having another slowpoke out there would help me shake my wet blanket image.

Permits? The only law out there is the wheel... "bust a wheel and face the wheel."

Then it's off to Thunderdome.

Last edited by ilion; 07-22-2004 at 02:02 PM.
Old 07-22-2004, 03:33 PM

I've been visiting Anza Borrego since the early 70's. You don't need any permits to drive around there. (Stay on the trails.)

For sure you'll want to visit Font's Point. You'll probably want to check it out in the morning and at sunset, as well as mid-day. The drive up Font's Point wash is mild.

You'll also want to drive up Fish Creek. It's a very good place to explore and take some great photos. You'll find plenty to keep you occupied all day (or more). The drive is mild there, too.

There aren't many places in Anza Borrego that are difficult drives.

The Calcite Mine is also a cool place for photos, but that trail is sometimes a little more difficult. (It varies sometimes. I think they grade it once in a while.) At the very least, you could drive down the intial hill off the S22 to the Calcite Mine trail, and then I think you can drive either left or right through a canyon area that might be cool to check out. (Going straight will take you to the mine.)

Also, check out the Pumpkin Patch -- easy to get to.

Also the Palm Oases around that area are good photo spots (Uno Palma and 17 Palms).

There are some cool mud hills you'll drive through as you approach the the oases from the southwest.

If you get a chance to visit there when it's raining, do so. That's when the colors of the soil/mud really become rich.

Check the weather forcast before you go, because it's really hot there in the summer.

Please post some pictures for us afterwards.

Last edited by Aurora Sandman; 07-22-2004 at 03:41 PM.
Old 07-22-2004, 04:44 PM

Thanks for the great responses so far. As you guys mention these names, I'm doing searches on the net to find some shots from the area, as well as making note of them on my map.

How are the roads through the Carrizo Badlands area, and near The Slot? The map shows a one way dropoff to the west of the slot that drops down into the badlands region. Is this something that my rig can handle without much effort? I would assume it's just a somewhat steep slope with lots of sand?
Old 07-22-2004, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by ilion

What format are you shooting in? I.e. do you need setup time for medium or large format?

I'm planning on heading out again, and I'm sure a group from here will be forming up for the cooler weather.

If you're up for it post and let people know you're going, as I'm sure a few would like to go out and toddle around.

I'm more into exploring and sightseeing anyway for the most part.

Also, having another slowpoke out there would help me shake my wet blanket image.
That's me, the slowpoke. :-) I love the scenery out there, so that's mostly what I pay attention to. I've been out to Anza Borrego a couple times already with my rig to check out some of the southern parts of the park. I didn't have a decent map or any insight about road conditions though, so I didn't venture very far off the beaten path. I saw quite a few areas that I really wanted to explore on a return trip though.

I wish I had a medium format camera, but I'm doing my shooting with a pro level digital SLR. I'm primarily a sports shooter, but I love taking some scenic shots as well. I have some coastal prints in a shop over in La Jolla, and plan on expanding my line of prints pretty soon. The stuff out in the desert will be just for fun though.

Maybe we could get a group of slowpokes together sometime this fall/winter. I plan on doing a bit of scouting out there this summer so I can learn the area. I'm very active on some photo boards, so I was planning on taking some other photogs out there this winter to do some shooting.
Old 07-22-2004, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by BenSD
Thanks for the great responses so far. As you guys mention these names, I'm doing searches on the net to find some shots from the area, as well as making note of them on my map.
I would highly recommend Low Lindsay's book, ANZA-BORREGO DESERT REGION. It's a very good guide. (Not a lot of scenic pictures, though.)

How are the roads through the Carrizo Badlands area, and near The Slot? The map shows a one way dropoff to the west of the slot that drops down into the badlands region. Is this something that my rig can handle without much effort? I would assume it's just a somewhat steep slope with lots of sand?
It is quite steep with bathtub size moguls/ruts. I wouldn't recommend it for someone who isn't an experienced wheeler. Plus, to get out at the bottom, you need to navigate over some a sandstone obstacle that I don't think you'd be comfortable with.

HOWEVER, having said that, I would HIGHLY recommend you drive to the top of that hill and walk down and over to the Slot. The Slot is pobably a mile or a half from the base of the hill. It is worth walking through. Basically you're walking through this narrow 30' tall hall of rock, sometimes only wide enough for a man to walk through. It is another good photo op.

The Carrizo Badlands isn't a difficult area to drive. I do recommend you avoid driving down into the Fish Creek/Slit Mountain area from above unless you want to do some difficult wheeling. The Squeeze (going down into Pinon Mt. Road) is scarey/crazy, and the one way route down from Arroyo Deco del Diablo is not something a newbe is going to feel comfortable with.

But you'll really like that Fish Creek/Slit Mountain area. Make sure you explore the side routes. The Sandstone Canyon is spectacular, and the wind caves are cool to hike up to. There used to be sea shells in the area beneatht the wind caves, but I think too many tourists have taken them away. (At least that was how it was a couple years ago when I was there.) Get a map so you know where I'm talking about.
Old 07-22-2004, 07:29 PM
Contributing Member

BenSD---
Once the weather cools down we will probably make a few trips out there. I love the area, and there are tons of scenic places you can go with a stock runner. Keep an eye on the trip planning threads for upcoming trips. You can look at the albums in my sig for some of the areas.
Old 07-24-2004, 01:16 PM

BenSD
I have gone out to Anza Borrego, both alone and on one trip with yotatech earlier this year. You can pretty much camp anywhere off the road, but confirm this with the ranger station for your area of interest.

Before this summer I went out to the Font point area and took a wash just west of the wash/road to Fonts point. We camped at the end of a wash 50 yeards from where there was a great view of the badlands. A great area for sunrise, sunset pics, and midnight if you have a full moon (we did).

You should also go back in spring when the wildflowers are out in the (lower Coyote canyon area and others). Check www.desertusa.com for details camping, weather, wildflower reports for Anza borrego (http://www.desertusa.com/anza_borrego/du-abpmain.html). First time I went it was 114F, so I don't go in summer anymore. And don't try to camp at the Ocotillo Wells Vehicle recreaction area if you want to sleep, it is like Mad Max all night and day.

I also like the slot hike, it is another great place for pictures in the narrow canoyn. It is easy to drive to (details for the slot: http://www.desertusa.com/Thingstodo/du_ttd_slot.html), but I would try the drop into it (sorry I got no pics, still only use film

Marc - a fall trip sounds great
cheers,
C
Old 07-24-2004, 02:36 PM

hey im always down for a scenic trip. i've been wanting to hike to this abandoned indian village way up in the mountains behind clark dry lake that would probably be a awesome spot to photograph. whenever it cools down post it were not all nutty wheelers. i actually just love the desert
Old 07-24-2004, 11:12 PM

hey im always down for a scenic trip. i've been wanting to hike to this abandoned indian village way up in the mountains behind clark dry lake that would probably be a awesome spot to photograph. whenever it cools down post it were not all nutty wheelers. i actually just love the desert
Indian village you say?

Put me down for that one Kemosabi.

Maybe I'll have picked up a Holga by then.
Old 07-25-2004, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by Roadtripr
BenSDBefore this summer I went out to the Font point area and took a wash just west of the wash/road to Fonts point. We camped at the end of a wash 50 yeards from where there was a great view of the badlands. A great area for sunrise, sunset pics, and midnight if you have a full moon (we did).
The wash just west of Font's Point is a fun drive, and one you can do with a stocker. Kind of interesting terrain, too.
Old 07-26-2004, 10:07 AM

Yesterday for my birthday, my girlfriend suggested we head out to the desert for a change of scenery. We ended up heading out to Fonts Point to check out the view. It was a fun drive, and the sunset was great. I look forward to spending some more time out there.

Old 07-26-2004, 10:51 AM

nice shots!
Old 07-26-2004, 07:48 PM

Yesterday for my birthday, my girlfriend suggested we head out to the desert for a change of scenery. We ended up heading out to Fonts Point to check out the view. It was a fun drive, and the sunset was great. I look forward to spending some more time out there.
What a nice way to spend your birthday! Nice pics. I love it in Denver, but I do miss "my desert," Anza Borrego!
Old 07-27-2004, 05:42 AM

those are some pretty photos but until i get my ac recharged im staying at the beach
Old 07-27-2004, 10:12 PM

i live out there in that area (el centro), so i am always up for a trip out there. the heat does't really bother me, so if anyone else is willing to brave it, i'll tag along also.
Old 07-28-2004, 06:25 PM

how's the border patrol treating you scott?
Old 07-29-2004, 09:36 AM

never had so much fun before...and i'm getting paid!

Quick Reply: Anza Borrego Runs