Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

2nd Annual Chicago Toyota Jamboree @ The Cliffs.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice to see that I wont be the only 3rd gen. 4Runner out there this year.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:13 AM

Well about a week now.

Its hard to tell from the boards but I think I can expect about 50+ rigs.

Raffle

We have some more stuff for the raffle.

Some kind of "keep you cool" neck wrap ties, that x-factors wife makes. She will also be selling them! Maybe she should post up more info…

The Cliffs will be throwing in t-shirts, stickers (for the fjc guys ), hoodies.

Of course Ill be throwing in the Warn M8000 NIB.

There will be opportunities to buy additional tickets through out the event. Last year we had the raffle on Sunday morning, and that worked out well.

Camping

I hear the camping site is coming along nicely. It was mowed last week and Tom says its looking great. Plenty of shade. We are also going to get 2 port-o-pots for the ladies (both female and male ladies). Like I said earlier be prepared for a tow rig possibly not getting to the camp site. I really doubt it will be an issue (especially looking at the forecast (DRY!!!)). And Tom said that he took his e350 2wd van up there with no problem. The camping will be primitive. No electric, no showers, there’s a river, but no showers.

Breakfast

There will be the usual sausage, bacon, eggs, pancakes on Saturday and Sunday morning for 5$/person. If you arent camping and want some breakfast PLEASE don’t show up at 9am wanting breakfast! Arrive around 8am, especially if you want to wheel with a group. Though im sure the breakfast will be open after 9am.

Trails.

Trail #1 (easy. fine for stockers) is, according to tom, in the best shape ever. He drove his E350 2wd van through the whole trail (im sure in about 5min) with no issues or damage. So for the guys worried about damage…don’t be.

Easy intermediate I recommend a good AT, and a little experience. (a locker would make life easier)

Intermediate. Sliders, a locker, MT’s. expect a little body damage.

Difficult. Sliders, lockers, MT’s, Winch, Expect Body damage.

This year will not be as structured as last year. After breakfast on sat we will have a little drivers meeting then there will be trail leaders to take groups out. They will be staggered and there will likely be groups moving through all day, so you should be able to find people to hop on with if you or your group don’t feel comfortable running around solo.

BTW normal passenger rates apply. $5 per passenger. I didn’t post that up top….Ive got too many balls to juggle right now. Plus Im best man to my brother and 18 of us leaving for the Bachelor party tomorrow in Vegas. Ill be back Monday. But I will have my laptop with me so feel free to contact me.

I think that just about sums it up for now.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by 4rnr
no showers, there’s a river, but no showers.
Yea, I think I would rather take a wh0re bath than swim in the Illinois river. Anyone remember the Dave Mathews Band tour bus?
Old 07-16-2008, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by toyota-erik
Yea, I think I would rather take a wh0re bath than swim in the Illinois river. Anyone remember the Dave Mathews Band tour bus?
No....Kickapoo creek.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:54 PM

My plan is to be there all day Saturday. What time will groups start heading out? Every time I've been to the Cliffs I thought trail 1 was pretty nasty, is it alot better now, would it be a bad idea to try an intermediate trail without sliders or a locker? I guess it all depends on how the weather holds out.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by drock2
My plan is to be there all day Saturday. What time will groups start heading out? Every time I've been to the Cliffs I thought trail 1 was pretty nasty, is it alot better now, would it be a bad idea to try an intermediate trail without sliders or a locker? I guess it all depends on how the weather holds out.
Start the trails around 9:00 a.m., I would get there by 8:30. You should be o.k. on the intermediate trails, I have done several w/o sliders. Although I now have sliders and my new winch bumper, unfortunately no winch because I don't have the cash. I want to win that Warn in the raffle
Old 07-18-2008, 03:12 PM

will anyone there sunday? ive got a buddy who has a mildly lifted jeep. should we leave his car at home? just concerned that there will b no yota guys around 4 recovery assistance?
Old 07-18-2008, 03:26 PM

Unless you like walkin, I'd bring the car. It is a Jeep.
I plan on leaving early afternoon, if Im not busted.
Old 07-18-2008, 03:40 PM

Yo guys! Just got back in town to illinois. Stoked to see that the jamboree is only a little less than 10 miles away from me i Ottawa! Excellent!!! I am stoked about meeting some yota people from illinois. It is sad to leave my yota friends in colorado and virginia behind but now Im back home in illinois. Never even wheeled in Illinois before. Only in the mountains. Stoked to meet everybody and I have some questions I will be ready to ask a few dudes out there abouut my axle problem.
Old 07-19-2008, 10:19 AM

Anyone know if the trail times will be extended at all past the usual 5:00?
I understand there is no alcohol allowed at the cliffs, but is there an exception for the camping?

I want to get there saturday, but can't until 5:30 or so.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:59 AM

Trail 1 is easy with the exeption of a few spots, but there are bypasses for some of them.

Alchohol is allowed for camping.

Im in the Vegas air port right now and Im still drunk and I smell like strippers, so if this isnt very coherent.....
Old 07-20-2008, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by 4rnr
Trail 1 is easy with the exeption of a few spots, but there are bypasses for some of them.

Alchohol is allowed for camping.

Im in the Vegas air port right now and Im still drunk and I smell like strippers, so if this isnt very coherent.....
I'm pickin up what your puttin down!!

Hope to see you out there.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:52 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by onroadrunner
will anyone there sunday? ive got a buddy who has a mildly lifted jeep. should we leave his car at home? just concerned that there will b no yota guys around 4 recovery assistance?
I will be out there all 3 days, unless i break something big.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:52 AM

Sounds like you got a nice rig. I hope I can keep up
Old 07-21-2008, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by toyota-erik
Sounds like you got a nice rig. I hope I can keep up
I dont recommend trying.

I think Joe is so impressed that a mostly stock runner on 42's with 400k+ wont break even when you spend all day overheated and still bouncing off the rev limiter for 5 minutes at a time while dumping the clutch at 5k. That he considers any additional time on the truck is a gift.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:03 PM

I think Im going to like this Joe guy
Old 07-21-2008, 03:33 PM

I see that friday is the camping set up. I will be arriving saturday evening- can I still camp? Any Idea if the $35 includes the camping? Really looking forward to this!
Old 07-21-2008, 03:39 PM

Please excuse my ignorance. I found the camping rates on the first page of posts!
Old 07-22-2008, 06:30 AM

The 35$ does include dinner on saturday night, so if you show up early enough you can get some grub.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:19 AM

Since the camp grounds are not in the parking lot, if you dont see me or my rig in the lot just give me a call if you need help finding the camp.

rig

#
708 466 0394
John

Quick Reply: 2nd Annual Chicago Toyota Jamboree @ The Cliffs.