Notices
Buying & Selling Advice - Feeler/Gauging Interest This general forum is for those seeking information about buying, model features/differences, pricing to sell, and related advice

Purchase Advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Purchase Advice

Hey y'all,
I just sold my 94 pu and i'm looking at a 92 to replace it and i need some advice.
I sold the 94 because i didn't have time to do all the suspension work it need so i'm looking at a stock truck that shouldn't need as much work.

This is what i'm looking at:
http://hickory.craigslist.org/cto/3922970945.html
Its a 92 ext-cab, 22-RE recently rebuilt, 3000 miles ago. They did the Entire top end he says including timing chain. 202223 miles on truck 3000 on the motor. Clutch has not been replaced since he bought it 5 years ago, he does not know if it was done before he bought it (and i doubt it given as he bought it at 140k miles).
Stock gears, 31" tires, 40% tread.
Its a 5spd, 4x4, manual locking hubs. No rust, damaged rear bumper. Faded clear coat.
No cracks in the dash, slightly worn interior, babied in general.
He is asking 4 grand. Now sight unseen i can't make a lower offer especially as he has someone coming to look at it before me.
Given the info i have would y'all reckon it worthwhile to drive 2 hours(or less traffic dependent) and take a look? I like what i hear and see, but i lack experience. If y'all think i ought to go for it what do you recommend i make sure to check when i see it. I mean i try to check everything, but i don't always remember everything.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:25 AM

so the motors not rebuilt. the top end is rebuilt. everything still has 202k miles on it except maybe valve train and the headgasket timing chain. pistons crank and cylinder walls would not have been touched. keep that in mind. still worth it tho, most common things to go on 22re is the timing chain guides and headgaskets so both those have been adressed. Clutch is an easy job to do just time consuming and it can be done on the cheap. I got a complete clutch kit and brand new flywheel for under 200 and took about 3 or 4 hours putting it in by myself in the dirt with ratchet straps.

Ask to see receipts for everything. if there is no receipt it wasn't done. Even tho it might have been done if there is no proof assume it wasn't done, remember this guy is trying to sell a vehicle not be your friend haha.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When i did my headgasket at 190k the cylinder walls looked perfect. All the cross hatching was visible with no vertical scratching at all. I didn't feel the need to touch the bottom end.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:03 AM

Well i went and looked at it. Really excellent shape on the surface, sounded good, drove good.
Checked the oil... dry as a bone, he put 2qts in before it registered. And when i got under it..... gas tank was leaking, like dripping; he musta filled it up to sell. And the rear third was leaking bad. Between the gas and the oil the bed underside and the spare were covered in gunk. So i passed.
Whats funny is that when i got there there was a 15-16 year old kid and his dad(his dad was in a suit minus jacket and drove a lexus) looking at it, they drove it, kicked the tires, looked in the toolbox, asked about the radio and said they would go to the bank and get cash... well its a half hour drive one way to the bank so i took my turn and found all the issues, well i was leaving and the kid returned and said before i pay you, when was the last time you cleaned the carb?
I almost feel sorry for the kid, almost. It'l be a good experience for him.

Last edited by SpeedCrazy; 08-17-2013 at 11:07 AM.