Notices
Buying & Selling Advice - Feeler/Gauging Interest This general forum is for those seeking information about buying, model features/differences, pricing to sell, and related advice

Possible Free Truck

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 10:42 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Possible Free Truck

Ok guys let me know what you think. I might be able to get another yota for free, for doing an engine swap job. THe only problem is that the truck was hit really hard in the back be a uhaul truck. However it still runs and drives.

But here's the catch, Its got a running 3.0 that they want swapped out of the truck and put into a 4runner that they have. And they will give me the rest of the truck for nothing. All other parts and components, and Title.

I have a ton of pictures and its hit really really hard, but im not sure if the trucks worth it. Let me know what you guys think.

Last edited by Gizler00; 02-08-2012 at 10:45 AM.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:49 AM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
That thing is smashed up pretty good. Im almost sure that the bed is pushed into the cab. you might be able to part it out, but in terms of repairing it? i'd say slim to none, if you're trying to make money.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:50 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What yr is the truck?
if everything else is good the parts might be worth it... depends on how much damage...
if frame is still good and just needs a new box then you could have a candidate for a om617 diesel swap... or any other kind of swap for that matter...
boxes can be had fairly cheaply... [comparatively speaking ]...

it comes down to the value of your time to pull the engine and install in their 4runner...
if the truck is worth the same or less go for it... if you want to do a build up go for it...
other wise... charge them for the re and re and tell them to scrap it themselves...

can't see any pics
Old 02-08-2012, 10:55 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
yikes swapping out a 3.slow not worth it to me
Old 02-08-2012, 11:22 AM

Theres some rust on there I would check for frame damage because thats one thing you dont want to deal with unless your good at heavy fabrication
Old 02-08-2012, 11:30 AM

so your gonna swap out a 3.0 for a smashed truck with no motor.... i would say pass, swaping the 3.0 is a PITA. from the looks of it in the picture the cab is also toast. and like zack said, it looks like it has some pretty intense rust on the frame/shackle/axle etc. so unless it has a factory nice interior that you can part out for a premium its not worth it (and even then i would still call it a no go).
Old 02-08-2012, 12:03 PM

Thanks for the replies guys.

Just to clarify a few things,
Im not looking to rebuild the truck, Im more interested in all the good parts (Trans, Rear axle, Front Diff, T-Case,) Basically everything that I can use for another truck.

I am an automotive instructor and was a technician for many years, so the swap is not a problem. Actually just trying to help a student out.

I was more or less thinking about parting out everything that I can to make some money to put towards another toy.

I guess I should have clarified that earlier. I will post more pictures.

Thanks guys I appreciate all the advice
Old 02-08-2012, 12:04 PM

Here are a few more pictures.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:19 PM

if your just helpin someone out and hoping to get somthing out of it for yourself, then go for it.. most of the time when you do a favor for someone you get alot less then this.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:33 PM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
definitely was a beautiful truck prior to the accident. poor thing.

its definitely got some frame damage. check out that tow hitch in the back. that sucker is on the ground, and those two "arms" following it is the frame lol The cab is definitely toast, and it looks like it has some front end damage too. if you're looking to "SALVAGE" what you can from this. your best bet is to cut the bed off, bob the frame, and flat bed it. ( still doesn't fix the cab damage though ) and fix the front end.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:47 PM

maybe I missed it but what year is it? Also if you get it and go to part it out I'll buy the front end....mine was smashed in a wreak(PO)
Old 02-08-2012, 01:27 PM

I believe it is an 88. Yeah rear of the frame is toast. I should be getting it down to the shop soon to check it out closer. The guy is still currently driving the truck. If you can believe that.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No WAY! If you do get it though I need a few interior pieces if they're in very good shape. Truck looked pretty clean
Old 02-08-2012, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Gizler00
I believe it is an 88. Yeah rear of the frame is toast. I should be getting it down to the shop soon to check it out closer. The guy is still currently driving the truck. If you can believe that.
Well again if it's worth saving I want the front clip....they are hard to find around here without giving them your first born and a large sum of money
Old 02-08-2012, 03:11 PM

As far as the swap goes. I'm taking the 3.0 from the truck and putting it in a 4 runner that has a blown 3.0. So its pretty straight forward.

I just thought it was worth it for the simple fact that the truck has a complete working running gear that I will get out of the deal minus the engine.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:14 PM

Take it dont even bother 2 think about it. awesome form of payment in my book but 2 each his own.........
Old 02-08-2012, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by YOTAZOMBIE
Take it dont even bother 2 think about it. awesome form of payment in my book but 2 each his own.........
That's kind of what I was thinking. I mean the whole running gear minus the engine alone is worth it to me. I'm planning on hanging onto that. And if the interior is decent, ill part it out to fund for another yota.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There are still some usable parts off her. Like you said- running gear- hell- manual hubs, tires/rims, axles and diffs, Then looks like the front is still usable- Fenders, mirrors, bumper, etc. Interior pieces.

If you have the time and patience to part out a vehicle, then yeah for sure.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:20 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
that seems like a lot of work for a rust pile.. err, bent rust pile. just my 2 pennies.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:13 AM

Well I forgot to mention, I wont be doing all the work. Ill be having a few students help me, well actually be doing the grunt work.

Soooo...im not going to be working too hard with engine work.

But as far as the truck goes, I guess I look at it differently. Yes I see rust, but I also see alot of good useable parts or parts that I can sell.

Thanks for the replies/compliments

Quick Reply: Possible Free Truck