Notices
Buying & Selling Advice - Feeler/Gauging Interest This general forum is for those seeking information about buying, model features/differences, pricing to sell, and related advice

Itching for a Yota again...

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 05:46 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Itching for a Yota again...

Alright guys - I want a Toyota again. I just need to decide the best and most financially beneficial way to do it.

Right now, I have a 2010 Nissan Xterra S 2WD in charcoal grey with no options. It currently has 6,800 miles on it and it's in perfect shape. I think I could realistically get $20,000 for it (trade, I hope). I paid $21,250 for it last August which was close

I technically own it outright (I have a loan on it through a family trust with a very low interest rate) so I'll be looking for a "cash" deal. I would prefer to trade it in and try to get $20,000 so I can avoid having to pay sales tax on the new vehicle.

Out of all the Toyota's I've owned, I miss my '99 3rd Gen Sport Edition the most. My Tacoma is a close 2nd but I don't think that's very practical right now and I have no need for a pickup.

I found a 2002 4Runner 2WD (yeah, yeah...I know) Sport Edition with 84,000mi on it. Strangely enough, it has a set of Tacoma TRD Sport rims on it which I would sell and get the Limited 5-stars with some BFG All-Terrains or BFG Mud-Terrain KM2's instead.

Here's a link.

I would go into the deal asking for about $10,000 back realistically hoping for $9,000-$8,000 back. I would take about $1,000 and put it into maintenance on the 4Runner - timing belt, fluids, belts, plugs, etc. I'd take the rest and invest it or pay off some debt with it.

My dilemma is...I have a brand new car, under warranty, with zero maintenance cost other than preventative maintenance that I pretty much own outright and I would be trading it for an almost 10-year-old car with close to 100,000 miles on it.

Am I crazy? Should I just hold onto my Xterra, save up some money and then buy in a few years?

I'm ready to drive up and buy the 4Runner tomorrow but I just don't know if that's smart.

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks!

Fink
Old 07-03-2011, 06:51 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
I think you're a woman

:wabbit2:
Old 07-03-2011, 08:37 PM
Contributing Member

I guess you're right, I could just take your Tundra.

Fink
Old 07-03-2011, 10:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey man, do whatca gotta do! its not about the fads, or the miles, or whats practical, its about what YOU want.

look at it this way, youve belonged to a toyota forum for 9 YEARS!! and even without a toyota, youre still coming back!!

theres something inside you that wants a toyota, and if you pass on this deal you may be VERY regretfull. you never know what you have 'till its gone
Old 07-04-2011, 05:41 AM
Banned

Yep. Woman.

Old 07-04-2011, 05:58 AM

Is owning two vehicles out of the question?

As much as I hate to say it, you're probably better off keeping your Nissan-you've already eaten the depreciation, and you know how it's been cared for.
Old 07-04-2011, 06:56 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
I think you are gonna take a bigger hit than you are calculating.
Heard advertisements lately for extended warranties on used cars, no clue how much they are or any thing about them.
Edit-something like this: https://www.warrantydirect.com/

50% off sale at pick n pull today, I'll count the ratio of Nissan vs Toyota

Last edited by dropzone; 07-04-2011 at 06:59 AM.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:04 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ocdropzone
I think you are gonna take a bigger hit than you are calculating.
Heard advertisements lately for extended warranties on used cars, no clue how much they are or any thing about them.
Edit-something like this: https://www.warrantydirect.com/

50% off sale at pick n pull today, I'll count the ratio of Nissan vs Toyota
What hit are you talking about? On my Xterra?

I thought about going with the extended warranty - I'm actually reading a quote that I got from the site you linked me to right now.

I'm also in the middle of negotiations on the 4Runner as we speak...

Thanks!

Fink
Old 07-04-2011, 08:24 AM
Fossilized
Staff

the hit I am referring to is the hit in the expected value you have on the Xterra on trade in.

Curious how this goes. 4Runners have been around a lot longer than XTerras
Good luck
Old 07-04-2011, 09:10 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ocdropzone
the hit I am referring to is the hit in the expected value you have on the Xterra on trade in.

Curious how this goes. 4Runners have been around a lot longer than XTerras
Good luck
They just offered me $20,500 for the Xterra but the lowest they'll go is $12,500 on the 4Runner. That's not including the $599 dealer fee and $250 tag fees.

Trade-in on the 4Runner is $9,100 so I'll instantly be taking quite a large depreciation on it.

They won't go any lower than $12,500 on the 4Runner as I just called and asked them again.

What do you guys think? $20,500 for the Xterra and $12,500 for the 4Runner.

I'll be getting $8,000 back minus the dealer fee (which I will try and hammer them on after I get there, driving two hours).

I wish the 4Runner was 4WD and I wish it was black - but other than that, it appears to be in great shape and has a clean Carfax and is a certified 1-owner.

I need some help on this one...

Fink
Old 07-04-2011, 09:12 AM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
If you're wishing that the 4runner was 4wd, and if it was black. why not wait? no point in jumping straight into something you obviously dont want.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Fink
I wish the 4Runner was 4WD and I wish it was black -
Fink
Why buy something that is NOT what you WANT.

PASS and PATIENCE.

Old 07-04-2011, 09:33 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by MaK92-4RnR
If you're wishing that the 4runner was 4wd, and if it was black. why not wait? no point in jumping straight into something you obviously dont want.
That's a good point, but I felt the same way about the Xterra being 2WD.

The reality is, I just don't need it down here - the most off-road I get is the gravel lot next to Target that I park in sometimes.

I won't be lifting this one or doing anything crazy - just wheels, tires, tint, etc...

I just have to decide if I want to get rid of my brand new car (non-Toyota, mind you) in exchange for a 9.5 year old car (Toyota, of course) with 84k on it while getting around $8,000 back ($500 or so to maintenance, $1,500 to wheels/tires/tint, rest to debt or investing).

My gas mileage will probably be about the same as I only get about 15-17mpg in the city with the Xterra.

I'm off to the gym to ponder...I can't pick it up until at least tomorrow anyway as it has to go through the shop first.

Keep the thoughts coming, though...

Thanks!

Fink
Old 07-04-2011, 12:44 PM

the 4runner is going to last you just as long, if not longer, as the xterra, so why keep it when you can have 8k (well around 6k) to invest in?

you never know when you might REALLY need that 6k, so go put it in the bank

but then again, why give up a (almost) brand new rig, just to get something you LIKE to own.

but if you figure, both vehicles will get you from point A to point B, and thats all that really matters. take the 4runner out for a test drive, and think, "wich one do i really like the most" and then make your desicion based on that.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:14 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by 85gijunk4x4
look at it this way, youve belonged to a toyota forum for 9 YEARS!! and even without a toyota, youre still coming back!!
Your math sucks.

Old 07-04-2011, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by scuba
Your math sucks.

10 years?
Old 07-04-2011, 01:15 PM

no!! 8 years?
Old 07-04-2011, 04:24 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 85gijunk4x4
no!! 8 years?
Bingo - almost exactly 8 years actually.

Here comes trouble...I just found this bad boy at the same dealership that has the 4Runner.

I told them if they could do an even trade for my Xterra, I'd come pick it up the same day.

We'll see if they bite.

As of now, I'm leaning towards not doing the 4Runner swap - just doesn't feel like the right decision. Especially since I'd only be doing it to have a few grand in my pocket and to have a 3rd gen again.

I feel as though I have yearly urges to swap vehicles...not sure if that will ever go away...

Fink
Old 07-05-2011, 07:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if they will swap for the taco DO IT! but I don't think the 4 runner deal is really that great, I'd say if they won't do the taco swap wait and find a 4x4 black 4runner that you really LOVE. also with almost 100,000mi on it 12,500 seams a little much IMO... good luck with w/e you do.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:51 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Out of all the Toyota's I've owned,... My Tacoma is a close 2nd but I don't think that's very practical right now and I have no need for a pickup.
I found a 2002 4Runner 2WD (yeah, yeah...I know) Sport Edition with 84,000mi on it. ....
Am I crazy? ...
that's smart.

Let me know what you guys think
Here comes trouble...I just found this bad boy at the same dealership that has the 4Runner.

I told them if they could do an even trade for my Xterra, I'd come pick it up the same day.

We'll see if they bite.

As of now, I'm leaning towards not doing the 4Runner swap - just doesn't feel like the right decision. Especially since I'd only be doing it to have a few grand in my pocket and to have a 3rd gen again.

I feel as though I have yearly urges to swap vehicles...not sure if that will ever go away...

Fink
Fink: friendly advice from an old guy who had bought a ton of vehicles.
Take time off from this. You are flip flopping in a just a short time period. don't buy something you are gonna regret

don't take this the wrong way but I hope they reject your direct swap offer...

Quick Reply: Itching for a Yota again...