Notices
Buying & Selling Advice - Feeler/Gauging Interest This general forum is for those seeking information about buying, model features/differences, pricing to sell, and related advice

First Post--Crazy or Stupid?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 10:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Post--Crazy or Stupid?

Is this plan totally crazy?

My wife and I have been wanting to make a road trip through California for a couple years now.

Ive also been wanting purchase a beater pickup to poke around town & light off roading with...

Wife and I have 1 way tickets booked.

My plan is to purchase a 1988 Toyota pickup outside of San Diego... Truck is a 4x4, v6, 5sp with 200K miles... Photos look mint inside and out for the age and mileage... Seller said it recently had the timing belt replaced and full service... Basically a bone stock, un molested pickup.

I'm hoping to purchase the truck for about 3,000+/-.

Spend a week driving around Cali Coast along hwy 1 and then Head back East to Mississippi...

All told I'm looking at about 2,500 miles of road tripping in a truck that is 1 year younger than myself...

I'm paying cash and am not really worried about the money.. My biggest concern is just breaking down out in the Desert on I-10 coming back east..... The Hills have eyes movie ruined that part of the country for me....

Other than the obvious concern of whether the truck will make it, I'm totally psyched about the trip... ..

I would greatly appreciate any input on what I should be looking for prior to purchasing the vehicle...

Any route recommendations would be appreciated also... My goal is to avoid the Rockies as much as possible, while also trying to avoid the no mans land desert.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:58 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
ya the 3.0L dont have the greatest track record of being reliable
Old 04-30-2012, 11:26 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I think insane better fits what your trying to do!!

Have you and the wife ever done anything like this before??

What kind of Mechanical skills do you have ?? I would look at the hoses and belts . Other then extra fluid not much you can do .

Does this even have AC lots of trucks don`t?? Has the radiator been changed it might be just fine for sporting about town get about 4 hours steady driving and you have over heating problems

Do you have any idea how this truck has been used?

As I hate the desert and have been across I 10 not for me Give me the mountains any time . I would go as far north as I could Washington and Montana are nice this time of the year.

I am to the point I will avoid interstates as much as possible to boring after several million miles one has read all the road signs and what billboards are left.

I am sure you know all the travel tips it sucks coming east because you have the sun in your eyes in the morning

Like I said insane they lock people away for thoughts like this.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:08 AM

Not a bad plan, should definitely be fun, the 3.0 is hit or miss in my opinion, cross your fingers and hope for the best.

If i was buying a truck with 200K miles and immediately hitting the road I'd bring along some tools and extra cash for any repairs that might crop up.

Also, if it was me I'd keep looking for a 22RE truck.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:13 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
or a like 96 up tacoma 4unner wih a 2.7 or 3.4 if cheap enough

Last edited by Elton; 05-01-2012 at 01:35 AM.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would try to find something with a 3.4L maybe a tacoma, t100 or 4runner. I think you could find one for around the price your looking for.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I say go for it!! If your wife is on board you will have a great time. You don't get too many chances like this in life. Do it, live on the edge a little.
If you need anything and you come through Utah, pm me and I will help you out.
I am in Louisiana now, but i will be back in a few weeks.
LET US KNOW HOW IT GOES
Old 05-01-2012, 03:23 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I would have it checked out as best as possible and if all is well, I would go for it. Do you have friends or family that could come and get you in worse case scenario? I have had it done to me and have done for others is when a break down occured, find a U-Haul dolly and go get them.

Even a newer car can break down. I defintely would prefer having my own as I know the condition they are in and am able to do alot myself, but if I wanted a rust free Cali truck would do it in a minute.

I have talked to several people and most never thought of renting a U-Haul dolly. If they are inexperienced or never have towed, they absolutely cannot back up with a truck on a dolly. So watch when pulling into a gas station or something similar. Always look ahead at how to get out of where you are.

This is worse case situation, truck may run great. Just have a little extra on you to cover if something was to go wrong.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:37 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Get AAA coverage!!! Opt for the "tow up to 100 miles" upgrade (standard is like 2 miles). It will be more expensive but worth every penny. Tons of perks.

Get the coverage in advance then add the truck when you get it.

Not going to start a debate, but the 3vze is plenty reliable AS LONG AS YOU DON'T OVERHEAT IT. Make sure it has fresh coolant (Toyota red!!!l).

Make the purchase conditional after successful inspection. Maybe a forum member is nearby & willing to check it out with you...

Last edited by TNRabbit; 05-01-2012 at 03:39 AM.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:24 AM

look for 3.4. I have a 3.0 but read the post about head gasket issues,low power etc.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:38 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Driving any vehicle that far just after purchase is stupid IMO for a variety of reasons.

:wabbit2:
Old 05-01-2012, 05:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I agree with everything that has been said so far. Except the part about it being stupid, and the 3.0 not being reliable...
The 3.0 is prolly more reliable with 200k, than most motors out there with 50k. However, you dont know if it had a blown head gasket, and the p.o. pored a bottle of blue devil in it to get it sold... It would certainly suck to find that out on a 2,500 mi trip...
The flip side of that is, it could be a really mint truck, and make it 50k mi without any issues, its a gamble... U a gambling man? Maybe stop in vegas on the way back?

Honestly... I'm planning something similar, I found a land cruiser 1800mi away from me, for short money, and plan to go check it out, I however, have family all along the eastern seaboard, and plan to have a stockpile of tools on hand for the trip...
The short of it is, ya never know... it could(prolly will) be an awesome trip, just be prepared for the worst... I always say... If ya expect the worst, your always happy when it works out better, and if the worst occurs, at least ya were prepared...
Old 05-01-2012, 08:33 AM

My wife and I did this two years ago when we moved back from HI. We flew into LAX, got a rental car for a day. I looked at 3 4runners, but ended up buying a Sonata, mainly due to the gas mileage. We took 30 days to drive to NY. I will never buy a Hyundia again, but it made it, and my wife still drives it about 40k miles later.
But we knew nothing about the car, took it for a test drive, paid the dealer, and left. Of course, things happened. New EGR valve in CO and needed a new tire in KY, new brakes back in NY. So of course make sure you have some extra $, either for repairs, or if needed a plane ticket home...hopefully it wouldn't come to that but you never know. For us though, overall, an unreal trip. Loved it and had an awesome time.

We also had a route planned out with friends/family along the way, just in case we needed any assistance. But luckily it didnt come to that

As for the 3.0, I had a 4runner with a 3.0 before I moved to HI...I would have driven it to CA without a second thought with its 150k miles.....

You're young, and don't seem to care about the $, so I say do it. Something I will never forget.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:34 PM

Thanks for all the response and the wide array of opinions... You guys are basically saying exactly what is going through my head...

1/2 of me is saying: JUST DO IT..

Other half is saying: IDIOT>>>> What are you thinking...

I'm obviously leaning towards the crazy half.... The trip isn't about the truck.. I could easily rent a car and tour the west coast and then fly back...

I really just want to go on a adventure of sorts....

I'm 24 and all I do is work..... We are self employed so there aren't any real concerns on time... Same goes for money..

My father in law mentioned the uhaul worst case scenario which seems like a good alternative if everything goes to crap..

My mechanical skills are basic at best... Can handle basic diagnostic, hoses, belts, fluids, battery, etc..

If anyone could recommend a good mechanic I could pay to inspect the vehicle pre-purchase that would be awesome...

The truck is in San Leandro, CA so anyone in the San Francisco area would be great... I would gladly pay $100 bucks for a professional to drive over and check it out.

In the mean time I'm just going off a worthless auto trader description and photos..

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...20598509&Log=0

There was a scheduling conflict with delta so we are pushed back to next week..
Old 05-01-2012, 01:36 PM

Also curious what would be my best rout to take with regard to cell coverage.. I have both Verizon and ATT...
Old 05-01-2012, 01:47 PM

Just ran the car fax and it looks squeaky clean from what I can tell..

Timing belt, water pump, brake pads, and rotors resurfaced in the past 10k Miles. No mention anywhere of head gasket replacement.?..? Did the 1988 models have the better Asbestos gaskets???

http://www.carfax.com/organizer/generateReport.cfx
Old 05-01-2012, 01:53 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
before you get it, arange with the owner to have a ase certified shop to look it over. Tell him you'll pay for it and maybe throw him 20 bucks for his trouble. As soon as it checks out, go for it!!! Take pictures and if something should happen we have yotatech members all over.