Ozarks Ozarks Chapter

February 2007: Mark Twain Nat'l Forrest

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 08:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I assume you have fresh gas with the correct oil mix and the air cleaner is clear? Not that I have that little faith in you.... just asking cause I've seen it before.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:09 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Injohneer

But ya know, it's the best because it plays my music.
hahah I hear that!!!!

I got a guy at work thats a wiz with chainsaws.... But i dont think hes workin for me this weekend....
Old 02-22-2007, 09:44 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Cargun
I assume you have fresh gas with the correct oil mix and the air cleaner is clear? Not that I have that little faith in you.... just asking cause I've seen it before.
The gas is about 205994908 years old. Oh wait, I don't believe in evolution.

Yeah, the gas is from when I mowed the lawn this summer, just mixed the 2 cycle oil into it last night. But this thing had been doing this years ago with what was even fresher gas back then, too. And yes, the air cleaner is good, I even tried to do it without the air filter... it gets the way when you're trying to make sure everything else is working fine.

BTW, what would running the wrong oil/gas mix do? Assuming you use 32:1 instead of 40:1 (whatever the ratios are), wouldn't it run fine for a long time, then slowly loose compression because there's not enough oil to keep it lubed, etc.?
There's a chance that I had the wrong mix way back when, I had a 2 cycle weedeater and I don't remember if they used the same mix or not. But then again, the total time on the engine is not that high, so I doubt I wore anything out even if I did use the wrong mix ratio.

I'm betting it has something to do with an adjustment on the carb, I just don't know what.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:46 PM
Contributing Member

Panhard is corrected! Was a little more than I was looking to spend for just a bracket... but it'll work.

Got mah tires aligned today as well.

I'll be leaving fay-town around 8.30 to head your way Cory. Gotta take the bro to school, turn a few heads , and then i'll be on my way up. You can probably expect me around 10.00 - 10.15, after i shop and get all packed.

I'm excited!
Old 02-22-2007, 01:49 PM
Contributing Member

Looks like it will be just me coming from Tulsa. Brother in law's not coming (bad grades) and wife's sick...

If I get everything done tonight, I'll head out from here around noon Friday.

Cory: you said you had all the specialty tools we'll need for Keith's locker?

KEITH: I'll try to bring my camera so we can get you a decent avatar pic!

Last edited by Injohneer; 02-22-2007 at 01:50 PM.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:03 PM

Specialty tools? Hammer, check. Block of wood, check. Torque wrench??? That one sounds faaaaaancy.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:33 PM
Contributing Member

Specialty tools? Hammer, check. Block of wood, check. Torque wrench??? That one sounds faaaaaancy.
x2.... specialty tools... we dont need no specialty tools, whadayall think this is, new york city?
Old 02-22-2007, 05:34 PM
Contributing Member

Sounds good on the times... see yall here.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:55 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Injohneer
The gas is about 205994908 years old. Oh wait, I don't believe in evolution.

Yeah, the gas is from when I mowed the lawn this summer, just mixed the 2 cycle oil into it last night. But this thing had been doing this years ago with what was even fresher gas back then, too. And yes, the air cleaner is good, I even tried to do it without the air filter... it gets the way when you're trying to make sure everything else is working fine.

BTW, what would running the wrong oil/gas mix do? Assuming you use 32:1 instead of 40:1 (whatever the ratios are), wouldn't it run fine for a long time, then slowly loose compression because there's not enough oil to keep it lubed, etc.?
There's a chance that I had the wrong mix way back when, I had a 2 cycle weedeater and I don't remember if they used the same mix or not. But then again, the total time on the engine is not that high, so I doubt I wore anything out even if I did use the wrong mix ratio.

I'm betting it has something to do with an adjustment on the carb, I just don't know what.
You should always use fresh gas. Old stuff gets moisture in it. Could be the fuel filter if it's had old fuel in it. You can clean that out with kerosene. Could be just a crappy-ars plug, too. What brand of saw is it, btw?

Oh, and before you start messing with the carb adjust. start with fresh fuel (at the right ratio), a good plug, clean filters...air and fuel. If you're getting spark and fuel and air and everything mentioned checks good, then mess with the carb. Know how to do the carb?

Last edited by thook; 02-22-2007 at 09:25 PM.
Old 02-23-2007, 04:52 AM
Contributing Member

It's the teenage mutant ninja chainsaw... Poulan Wild Thing. (OK, well the colors look the same anyway)

Yeah I might just change the spark plug.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:36 AM
Contributing Member

Arrival time edit: My brother'n'law got his grades up, so he can come.
Which means I won't be leaving until about 5:30 tonight.
Oh well, maybe I'll get my CB working!
Old 02-24-2007, 05:35 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Well, I hope you got your saw running. Poulan is a decent manufacturer. In other words, good news you don't have a problem saw. If you've done everything suggested to no avail, you can tweak the carb. Your manual should go into troubleshooting the adjustment....if you still have the manual, lol! I usually wind up destroying mine from abuse....in tatters. If not, there's plenty of instruction on line to print up. I'd go into it with you, but I've gotta get to work. Post up here, if you need some help. I may not be able to go, but I can contribute in some way..haha! Oughta be plenty muddy for you guys this weekend. Take your long johns...it's gonna be chilly! (Uhg!) And I was just getting used to the warmth!
Old 02-24-2007, 06:24 AM

You guys have fun wheeling this weekend but stay safe. If it wasn't for the noise coming from under the truck i would have tried to make it. It sounds like a good trail to get my feet wet on sure wish i could go. Oh well i can start getting the truck ready to hit the trails with you guys this summer. College sure does put a damper on your funds.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:01 AM
Contributing Member

Well, we all made it back safe to my knowledge. Trip was a good one. Keith's got to play with his newly renovated truck, which he did real well. Total damage was moderate between all the rigs:

Mine: Some more body damage and no more CB antenna or antenna mount.
Hans: Broke another front driveshaft.
John: Hole in another tire sidewall, and a small dent in the front bumper.
Keith: Tire self clearanced against the rear bumper chrome side thingy.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by colsoncj
Mine: Some more body damage and no more CB antenna or antenna mount.
He barked so many trees that the Sierra club is sending out wanted posters with his trucks picture on them. At least the slippery conditions made this a clutch friendly run

Hans: Broke another front driveshaft.
Yeah, this is getting old really fast. And I missed out on a topper for my parts storage vehicle since my cell died because no reception = high power draw (wouldn't you think they'd be smart and go into power save mode when the phone lost contact with towers????). John, PM me your cell number... since my phone was dead I didn't get your call on Sunday.

John: Hole in another tire sidewall, and a small dent in the front bumper.
I see set of Hummer run flats in his future.

Keith: Tire self clearanced against the rear bumper chrome side thingy.
The front bumper was clearancing itself as well. You should have taken a bigger bite with the sawzall. Oh, and we forgot to stop on the way back to fayetteville and put air in the rear tires. Whoops. And excellent job missing the exit, you saved yourself a long wait at Cracker Barrel.

Last edited by Cargun; 02-26-2007 at 06:00 AM.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:01 AM
Contributing Member

Received 465 Likes on 311 Posts

Pictures?
Old 02-26-2007, 06:24 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by habanero

Pictures?
Um, I didnt take any , hopefully someone else did.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:37 AM
Contributing Member

Received 465 Likes on 311 Posts
Living vicariously....
Old 02-26-2007, 09:49 AM

No pics here... I was too busy rolling around in the mud laughing at Cory's magnetic attraction to trees. I saw John's bro-in-law taking pics, but I think it was a film camera.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:00 AM
Contributing Member

The front bumper was clearancing itself as well. You should have taken a bigger bite with the sawzall. Oh, and we forgot to stop on the way back to fayetteville and put air in the rear tires. Whoops. And excellent job missing the exit, you saved yourself a long wait at Cracker Barrel.
I knew thats where you were headed! But that's not why I "missed" the exit. I was too close to free food (home) to spend any more money. That Cracker Barrel is notorious for long waits and even worse service. No pics here either. I know there's gonna be at least one of my stuffed rear tire clearancing itself .

Got one mystery scratch/dent. I knew i hit the one tree backing up to go right instead of left, but I found a good one on my back passenger door. oh well i've given up hope for the paint through Mark Twain anyway.... i was ready for it.

All in all, good weekend. Definetly need a bite out of something with the sawzall. I didn't notice it much off road, but I defietly notice it on the road.

Quick Reply: February 2007: Mark Twain Nat'l Forrest