Land Usage & Off Road Responsibility Discussion pertaining to the education of proper land usage, closures, and responsible off road driving

Be Careful Wheeling -Tacoma Rollover at Tellico (Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 05:59 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is another picture. (Someone can resize this)

Old 07-07-2005, 06:00 PM
Contributing Member

Also, FYI, this was the president of TTORA-TN's Tacoma.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:01 PM
Contributing Member

Old 07-07-2005, 06:33 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

A prime example of why you won't see my 85 on anything other than the trails until it has a complete DOM tubing exo cage tied into the frame. I like all my parts.

Old 07-07-2005, 06:44 PM

too bad. reminds me of my truck.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:55 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
A prime example of why you won't see my 85 on anything other than the trails until it has a complete DOM tubing exo cage tied into the frame. I like all my parts.

you
Old 07-07-2005, 07:12 PM
Contributing Member

ahhh

im SO paranoid of rollover because i love my truck...im not scared of getting hurt really...scared of losing my baby.

anyways that guy was nailing the gas...that i just dont understand
Old 07-07-2005, 07:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RTdawgs
Also, FYI, this was the president of TTORA-TN's Tacoma.
to me, that means that he was active in the club and owned a toyota. it doesn't necessarily mean that he has mad driving skills...

well, hindsight is 20/20, and we can all sit here and web wheel and bash him and pick out his poor decisions that he made that day

-OR-

we can just see it for what he saw it as - all too common mistakes that led up to a hard lesson learned and good reminder of how important safety is to the participants and the spectators in the world of crawling...

Last edited by bamachem; 07-08-2005 at 05:18 AM.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo_Risin
I was bored - so I made an animated gif of the sequence of pics... Wonder where he was going to go when he got to the tree at the top?
His initial line had him a good 10-20 feet to the right of that tree. The cameraman happened to be standing at the top of the obstacle (Guardrail), roughly centered between that tree and the driver's initial and intended line. The first few pics in that album show that. As the truck started to get bounced sideways to the left (remember folks, pics rarely do camber/incline justice), it was climbing practically straight at the cameraman. So the cameraman stopped shooting for a moment to get out of the way, turned back and started shooting again, which is the series of pics you giffed up.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Marc P
If you read the posts, you need to spin your tires to get them warm and sticky to make that climb...I bet a crawler would have solved that problem.
A crawler would not allow you to spin the tires to get them warm and sticky. Crawlers are great in many situations. In other situations, such as obstacles like Guardrail and the vast majority of Southern rock crawling (low-traction, wet/muddy rocks), their effectiveness is highly debatable and rig/terrain dependent.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by phorensic
Maybe this should be turned into a no drinking and driving ad??
He wasn't drinking and driving.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:08 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
DAMN!!!!!! Talk about the Mother of Pucker. Glade no one was hurt.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:00 PM
Banned

why were his tires fully infalted? thats already a no-no for off pavement.... if his tire pressures had been lower, less wheelspin would have been eneded to climb rocks
Old 07-07-2005, 11:11 PM
Contributing Member

There is starting to be too many people questioning why this and that about his driving. This thread wasn't started for that or to bash him in any way. He was nice enough to post this himself on TTORA as a safety reminder to everybody and that is why I posted it here. So please no more questioning why this or that about his truck or driving ability or that he may be drinking and driving (he wasn't). This thread is strictly to serve as a reminder of what can happen to anybody at anytime.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by jimabena74
why were his tires fully infalted? thats already a no-no for off pavement.... if his tire pressures had been lower, less wheelspin would have been eneded to climb rocks
They weren't fully inflated. If I remember correctly, he was running 12 psi, or less.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:35 PM
Banned

hmmmm..... when i run my truck at 12 psi, my tires look flat... and my truck is a lot lighter than that taco......
Old 07-07-2005, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by dragr1
There is starting to be too many people questioning why this and that about his driving. This thread wasn't started for that or to bash him in any way. He was nice enough to post this himself on TTORA as a safety reminder to everybody and that is why I posted it here. So please no more questioning why this or that about his truck or driving ability or that he may be drinking and driving (he wasn't). This thread is strictly to serve as a reminder of what can happen to anybody at anytime.
Thank you!!!

It's so very easy for people who weren't even there to look at a few pics and say "oh, well he was an idiot for..." or "well, he should've/shouldn't have..." or "he didn't know what he was doing..." yadda yadda yadda. The fact remains that anyone who wasn't there has no clue what was happening, the specifics of what transpired, or anything about the invidual(s) involved. He's a damn good wheeler, experienced well beyond his years, and I feel safe in assuming a much more knowledgeable and yes conscientious driver than the vast majority of people on here or other forums questioning his abilities and decisions. He's the first to admit he made some mistakes!! That was the whole reason for his lengthy, well-thought-out post on TTORA... to point out the importance of safe wheeling, and recognizing that very bad things can and do happen, often when you least expect it... often on some of the very same obstacles you've successfully run before without incident. If it makes you feel good to question his decisions, then do so in the privacy of your own head. Let this and the other threads serve their purpose... to educate and remind wheelers of all skill levels, experience, and abilities about the importance of wheeling safely so that you may live to wheel another day.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by jimabena74
hmmmm..... when i run my truck at 12 psi, my tires look flat... and my truck is a lot lighter than that taco......
Great... wonderful. That must mean I'm lying, or have no clue what I'm talking about, or wasn't there...

Please read my previous post.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by synovus
Great... wonderful. That must mean I'm lying, or have no clue what I'm talking about, or wasn't there...

Please read my previous post.
don't worry about him... he just likes to spread his wonderful plethora of knowledge to everyone, even when it has no real applicable meaning...
Old 07-08-2005, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by 4RUNR
What's the part # for a Tacoma body?
...haha..and the part # for a new pair of skivies.
at least the dudes got a great sequence of pics to show off his roll

Quick Reply: Be Careful Wheeling -Tacoma Rollover at Tellico (Pics)