FJ Cruiser 2007 & on

wheel alignment and the fj any problems ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 11:33 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wheel alignment and the fj any problems ?

i jsut went and had my fj algined after installing the all pro adjsutable coils and rear pucks .

of ocurse it was way off as i had expected , but there having problems getting it in to spec , has anyone else had these problems ?

also , my rear is tracking sideways according to his machine , i asked him if it had todo with my rear lift and the pucks , and he said a resounding yes. i asked him if there was any adjsutment and he said ,no. the way to adjsut it would be a adjsutable rear track bar , if thats what its called , but its the rear link that goes from top to bottom. is any one making an adjsutable rear track bar ? im trying to access the all pro website and its eaither down or my comouter doesnt like it .

i cant find any info on the fj at fab tech apparently they havent updated their website site yet .

any one else making rear suspension compnents for the fj ? no others come to mind .

airrikk17
Old 11-06-2006, 01:43 PM
Contributing Member

sounds like the guy is talking out of his rear. I'd recommend you take it elsewhere and just align the front only. the rear does not need alignment.

good luck
Old 11-06-2006, 01:46 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Independant shop?
I am having my dealer do my alignment after I get the lift.
I think they know FJs a little better.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:59 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does the FJ have a rear panhard bar like a 3rd gen 4runner? If so, it could be true that a rear lift will slightly "off-kilter" your rear axle, just due to the link geometry...
Old 11-06-2006, 02:11 PM
Contributing Member

ive been looking thru all the paper work i can find on the fj to find out which part it is im talking about , but i do beleive it is the bar that runs to a pan hard bracket , like the 2nd gen 4runners.
i would have not normally used this shop to o my alginment , but due to the screwing i receved from my normal wheel and tire shop when i bought my wheels , i went to another really reputable shop here in town , and i have the print out of what its doing with all the numbers and graphics, so it would be hard to think its not incorrect readings .
if you tink the toyota shop knows more then the average bear out there , you are so sadly mistaken , there are things i brought up to the salesman that he didnt even know about.
know i would hope the shop guys are getting to be more and more knowledable as time goes on, but i think most who havent had a chance to get there hands on one will be just as clueless as anyone else.
im not knocking toyota shops, or toyota in general im a toy fan thru and thru . but it is a new vehicle, with some older suspension stuff taken from previous vehicles , to which they should know about.

airrikk17
Old 11-06-2006, 02:19 PM
Contributing Member

ok looking thru the books , i think they are calling it the lateral rod , its on the back side of the rear axle and goes from the drivers side down low to the passenger side upper part , thats the part id need to adjsut to get the axle to sit sqaure again i guess.

heres my opinion though, im guess my springs arent seated properly or the rear pucks on top of the springs aren't seated properly , ill have to take a look at it some time , soon , then when i take it in to get my alginment doen again after adjsuting the coil overs after i install my winch , then hopefully that will fix the problem , but im pretty sure i got it al lseated properly when i installed it .

my rear lift wasn't goingto be permanent anyways , i want to go with all pro's spring and shock combo for the rear , but i couldnt afford it at the time , maybe nows as good of time as any LOL

airrikk17
Old 11-06-2006, 02:44 PM
Contributing Member

if your spacers are not seated correctly you'll notice it right away. it would have some pretty damn awful sounds coming from the rear as it rubs like mad. You can simply look for a quick inspection to see if it is in place or not. it's either sitting in place or not and it will be very apparent. if it looks ok then it is.

you should never have to get a rear alignment as you have a solid axle in the rear. Not much you can do unless your axle is bent or in a wreck. as for the panhard bar, don't worry about this as this is expected when you lift.

the physics on this: as you lift the rear a lot the axle will move down to the passenger side. This is because the axle is pivoting around the passenger frame mount. If you look at the rear of your FJ you will see the panhard bar attached to your axle at the drivers side base and the frame on the passenger side. That point where the panhard bar attaching to the frame is where you pivot around untimately. draw a big circle losely based off of your driver's rear wheel and the pivot point at the center. as the axle droops, it should move to the passenger side by following that circle. This is factory geometry so there's nothing you can do outside of getting a longer panhard bar.

now you may ask, well why not get a longer bar right? well it may make your vehicle look centered but it's not what you want when you offroad. think about how your axle flexes by compressing while on the trails. that circle is where your tires will follow. imagine if you changed the radius of the circle. the tire will follow a slightly larger path. this means that upon full compression the tire will not be center in your wheelwell. (these are extreme cases but you get the picture).

it's a very "broad" explanation but hopefully that helps if any.
Old 11-06-2006, 02:56 PM

I installed an OME lift then had my dealer do an alignment and everything was fine. It was barely out of spec after installing the lift. I recently installed Total Chaos UCA's (which add caster back on lifted trucks) and it was WAY OFF. The toe and caster were out of spec, but again the dealer was able to get it back in spec w/o any problems.

The only way the rear end should be out of spec is if something is bent. Have you bent one of your lower control arms?

Good luck!

Last edited by sbechtold; 11-06-2006 at 05:07 PM.
Old 11-06-2006, 04:37 PM
Contributing Member

well that makes me feel better , possibly jsut a moron doing the alignment or a bad machine.
the only thing that could have possibly put anyting off is when the deer hit me . but i highly doubt it .
i think after i check out the rear springs and such , and after i install my winch and raise the fornt another inch , ill try the other tire shop and see what they come up with , if they cant get it right , ill go totoyota and see what they come up with

airrikk17
Old 12-09-2006, 10:57 PM
Contributing Member

just wanted togive an update , i had les schwebs do an alignment , and all is well, the previous place came up with some odd numbers and l.s. didnt,no problems and its as aligned as it will get, the tolerances toyota has come up with i guess from talking to the alginment guy are extremly close , like only one or two degrees .

airrikk17
Old 12-12-2006, 08:48 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Getting my alignment done at the dealer after work today or tormorrow.
The only two places would be them or Les Schwab.

From what I have been reading, the dealers are doing a good job.
So good that ARB by me recommends Bob Bridge Toyota, right by my work.
But I prefer to use my dealer since it is closer to home.