FJ Cruiser 2007 & on

New FJ Cruiser to be released.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2005, 05:34 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sold!

I will buy this in a heartbeat!!! I'm already trying to figure out how my wife and I could swing it. I love the new meets old styling and the FJ Blue paint they have it decored in. The readiness for camping with fold down seats makes me happy. The included winches and roof rack make it quite a nice little platform for camping/expedition.

The engine: I disagree on them making it bigger. The Hino 3.4L V6 is a tried and true engine… it has demonstrated that it is plenty of a good workhorse and has longevity. With a model like this coming out I'm glad to see such a venerable and proven powerplant at the center. I do agree on diesel though! That's what they should have done… especially with Jeep going that route soon. We need diesel 'Yota 4x4's in the US. There are diesel engines in Toyota's lineup that are just as proven as the 3.4L.

Made in Japan: This really got my attention. My T100 was made in Japan by Hino and the build-quality is just plain better than domestically manufactured Toyota's. Don't get me wrong, Toyota's are better than domestics no matter where they are made, but the ones coming off the line in Japan are just a cut above those made in Indiana and California and elsewhere.

I am curious how much the production version will vary from this concept… I hope not much.

Joel
Old 01-14-2005, 05:45 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by IamaFan
i think this year is the last production year for the mr2 and celica.
due to Scion, is what I was told, in part
Old 01-14-2005, 05:52 AM
Contributing Member

Two winches! I might just be willing to sell my 4Runner for this. They can tone down the styling, but not the offroad options.
Old 01-14-2005, 05:54 AM
Contributing Member

I will be at this years autoshow...
Old 01-14-2005, 06:21 AM
Contributing Member

I think I'd consider buying one, though my "original" FJ might get a little jealous...'Course its more of a Chevota than a Toyota nowadays....
Old 01-14-2005, 06:37 AM

It may get released, but I'll be dollar to donuts that it doesn't look much like that. Yea, sure - a whinch and 20" rims standard???
Old 01-14-2005, 06:42 AM
lee
Contributing Member

nah, of course not.

but ill bet dollars to donuts that itll be AWESOME.
Old 01-14-2005, 06:45 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by FilthyRich
due to Scion, is what I was told, in part

And the fact that they are both ugly as sin and slow as balls? Ive never been a fan of the current celicas and definately not the MR. Back when it was the MR2 they were a descent little sports car. Now toyota cars are about as exciting as... Tofu. I think they made a good move to make a new name to revive some verve into the toyota car line because they were plain boring. If toyota was smart they would bring back the supra with basicly same engine and capatilize on the mod appeal of the supra and put a fresh looking body on it. If they brought back the ol' bullet proof I6 it would sell like hot cakes. I know it will never happen though.

As for the FJ,
FINALLY A lower end suv thats capable! The xterra and jeeps have owned the market for long enough! I can't wait to see what it acutally ends up looking like and what its actually got under the hood.
Old 01-14-2005, 06:48 AM
lee
Contributing Member

they are in fact making a sports car... remember those pics we saw recently?

edit: here's one, theres another as well:

http://www.thecarconnection.com/inde...8&article=7633
Old 01-14-2005, 07:05 AM
Contributing Member

People aren't reading the entire thing, it WON'T look like those photos!

I think the production model is going to look awesome! The concept model looks like... well, a concept model.

At least it doesn't have IRS like everything under the sun these days

I'd buy one.
Old 01-14-2005, 07:08 AM

I would love for them to bring back the FJ, but that is still some ugly looking sheetmetal. It reminds me too much of a similar colored RAV4. I realize it's a concept, but it's still pretty ugly. Too metro for me...
Old 01-14-2005, 07:15 AM
Contributing Member

From what I read in Autoweek, the Celica is being replaced by the Scion TC, i'm not sure what they are planning on replacing the MR2 with.

As for the Landcruiser, I can't wait to see the finished product and see what all they come up with.
Old 01-14-2005, 07:55 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Racer944
I would love for them to bring back the FJ, but that is still some ugly looking sheetmetal. It reminds me too much of a similar colored RAV4. I realize it's a concept, but it's still pretty ugly. Too metro for me...
Read the post right before yours...
Old 01-14-2005, 08:02 AM
lee
Contributing Member

i was too busy looking at scofco's avatar to read his post...
Old 01-14-2005, 08:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
it's pure blasphemy. no manual transmission, no straight axles...it's got as much cruiser in it as a stock jeep.

and not to mention if a big pig like that, i'd want a little more than a 3.4...i'm thinking inline six just like a REAL fj....
Old 01-14-2005, 08:42 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by kyle_22r
it's pure blasphemy. no manual transmission, no straight axles...it's got as much cruiser in it as a stock jeep
Look at the rear axle...
Old 01-14-2005, 09:08 AM

How would you like to throw it into park with a shovel...
Attached Thumbnails New FJ Cruiser to be released.-0122.jpg  
Old 01-14-2005, 09:42 AM
lee
Contributing Member

hahahah
Old 01-14-2005, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by kyle_22r
it's pure blasphemy. no manual transmission, no straight axles...it's got as much cruiser in it as a stock jeep.

and not to mention if a big pig like that, i'd want a little more than a 3.4...i'm thinking inline six just like a REAL fj....
Why are you assuming things? When you assume... you make.... anyways

Toyota said it would be available in a 4-speed manual... just so you know.
Old 01-14-2005, 11:30 AM

Cause people don't like to click on links and read...
"Dimensions and overall style will be much like this FJ concept but with a taller greenhouse and a different design relationship between the glass and the B-, C-, and D-pillars. It'll have real, full-size headlamps in place of the tiny notions shown here, and the styling of the profile, below the shoulderline, will be more conventional. We expect the concept's 20-inch wheels and tires to be replaced with better-fitting 18-inchers. Most other dimensions will remain about the same, including its 106.3-inch wheelbase, 170.9-inch overall length, and 75.6-inch overall width. The concept truck was shown with a Toyota Racing Development supercharged 3.4-liter V-6 making 250 horsepower, with four-wheel drive and a four-speed automatic.

We expect the 2.7-liter/142-horsepower I-4 and 3.4-liter/190-horsepower V-6 to be engine options. The production model will have more conventional styling, although mirror-mounted lights could remain.

It's likely the FJ will be built at the Toyota/GM NUMMI joint-venture plant (Tacoma, Pontiac Vibe) in California."

Quick Reply: New FJ Cruiser to be released.