FJ Cruiser 2007 & on

Need help deciding.........(New or Used)

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help deciding.........(New or Used)

My fiance and I would really like an FJ Cruiser. We aren't planning on having any kids for at least 6yrs, and would like something to take camping, fishing, etc.

I've loved the FJ-40 for forever, and really think we would enjoy the FJ Cruiser.

We have narrowed the choices down to two vehicles. A 2007 Blue with 33,000 miles for $20,987 at a local dealership. It has the Convenience Package, Offroad Package, and Upgraded sounds (whoopteedoo). I'm not a huge fan of Blue, but with this the depreciation would already have been taken care of.

The second choice is a New 2008 Sandstorm FJ with Offroad package and Convenience Package. This one is $28,600. I love this color and options.

The bottom line is.............is it at all worth it to buy an FJ New and hold on to it possibly for our lifetime as a piece of automotive history? Or should we try to save some money and go for the used one and still just have fun with it?

The financial aspect is a little difficult for me to decide on because I've never bought a used car in my life. I have excellenct credit, good job, etc but really don't like the idea of being very far in debt.

What would you guys do in this situation? Buy new and go for what you like? Or be a little more practical, save money, and buy something (maybe just color) that is a little older.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Theres a lots of used FJC out there. If you don't like blue just wait and find a used one that you do like. I would get a used one and use the money you save to get mods done i.e. tires, skids, etc.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We've bought 2 FJ's so far, both used (slightly). We found that you can usually work great deals on used FJ's. That being said, right now is a great time to buy a new '08, they're REALLY trying to move them. With those two deals, I'd get the used one. As Treknwil said, you should be able to get a screaming deal right now on a used FJ.