FJ Cruiser 2007 & on

f.j. v.s. jeep rubicon

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 01:48 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Exactly. Enjoy the FJ for what it is.

As for soccer moms, isn't there a saying that goes something like "Jeeps are for Chicks"?

KD7NAC_07FJ, I don't think anyone is disputing that the FJ can go offroad, i've seen them and driven them. However, when the question is raised about out of the box capability, then the truth must be spoken about both.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:52 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Silverdusk
My ass! The FJ is new and like any new vehicle it takes a little while for manufacturers to start developing after market parts for them.

So, you'll be happy to know, that there are FJ's out there w/ SAS's in them already and I'm sure more will show in time. There is those w/ long travel suspension set ups. We also now have inchworm transfer case "Inchworm setup at 168:1." So get your facts straight first.

I can tell you from experience that I have gone every where the Rubi's have gone in Va. I've done my share of Trail clean up's w/ them in GWNF.
Okay.

Well, first you should read a little more carefully. Yeah, you can SAS an FJ, and blah blah blah, but guess what? that costs a lot more than the 2k i was talking about.

Both vehicles are comperably priced, and so, spend 2k on each one. 2k gets you lift and tires for both. The FJ still has a stock tcase, IFS, and a rear locker. The jeep is double locked, and has the 4.0 case, plus a well balanced suspension. Quit trying to tell us that your FJ is the greatest thing ever.

I love it when people who just like to be jerks bash others for no other reason than to be a jerk.

Thanks for the attitude.

Last edited by AxleIke; 06-28-2007 at 02:15 PM.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:11 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mattbaby24
I agree with the 'Soccer Mom' Comment, Thats the only people I ever see driving them. I've Yet to see one with mud on it.

Sad Really, you don't buy a Chevrolet Z06 to go slow. So Why Purchase a Offroad Ready SUV to drive to Wal-mat.

I Think they both have their Ups and Downs, I know one thing, You cant see for crap out the rear of a FJ cruiser.
You need to get out more:

Old 06-28-2007, 02:36 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Mattbaby24
I agree with the 'Soccer Mom' Comment, Thats the only people I ever see driving them. I've Yet to see one with mud on it.

Sad Really, you don't buy a Chevrolet Z06 to go slow. So Why Purchase a Offroad Ready SUV to drive to Wal-mat.

I Think they both have their Ups and Downs, I know one thing, You cant see for crap out the rear of a FJ cruiser.
I gotta go with Bob on this one.
I have seen many FJs off road including mine.
There are tons of FJ events nation wide, and if you look at the trip report section over at www.fjcruiserforums.com you will see tons of FJs out every weekend.

As for not being able to see out the rear, I have owned my FJ now 11 months and 4 days.
I do not know of any blind spots or not being able to see out the rear window.

Originally Posted by BT17R
You need to get out more.
Indeed.
There are plenty of FJs getting filthy every weekend.

Please do not think that the FJ owners here are being jerks, we are only stating the facts that FJs and their owners are out every weekend having a great time.

To say that they never go offroad or that only soccer moms drive them is very narrow minded.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AxleIke
Okay.

Well, first you should read a little more carefully. Yeah, you can SAS an FJ, and blah blah blah, but guess what? that costs a lot more than the 2k i was talking about.

Both vehicles are comperably priced, and so, spend 2k on each one. 2k gets you lift and tires for both. The FJ still has a stock tcase, IFS, and a rear locker. The jeep is double locked, and has the 4.0 case, plus a well balanced suspension. Quit trying to tell us that your FJ is the greatest thing ever.

I love it when people who just like to be jerks bash others for no other reason than to be a jerk.

Thanks for the attitude.
Rubicon Msrp : Net Price: $28,460
FJ Cruiser Msrp: $23,500 - which is what I drove mine off the lot for.

I'm not trying to say my FJ is the greatest thing ever. It's far from it and I know that. But I was trying to point out that I believe either vehicle can be made to be better than the other.... That's the only point I was ever trying to get across.

You've been the jerk from the start w/ all the smack talk about the FJ and how pathetic you think it is. Was this for no reason?

Perhaps you should have read more closely. I stated originally that when it comes to off road performance and when it really matters especially to those of us devoted to the activity, that not many of us are indeed driving stock vehicles. I spent 5 grand less on my FJ than the Rubi and I wanted a Rubi initially. But after careful consideration about safety and my kids riding w/ me I went with a vehicle that is far superior in those regards to the Rubi.

I also ended up w/ 5k to put into mods add the 2k you are talking about and that's a great deal of equipment for the same price. You add it up.

I apologize if I offended you. I merely felt compelled to defend a vehicle that I've grown to admire and appreciate.

Old 06-28-2007, 03:24 PM

Ok first - you guys started bashing FJs - what did you think the result was going to be.

Second how can you make any statement on what the FJ is or isn't when you don't own one or have ever driven one.

You may have an opinion but everyone has an opinion.....

And lastly you non-FJ owners don't see FJs on trails because we are usually out together. I've run up an a number of trails in a pack of FJs and seen nothing but snickering and giggles at all the shiny new rigs heading up the trails. Then I see a bunch of stunned looks if they have enough guts to even look, at all the muddy dirty FJs as we are airing back up and leaving.

As for whats under the rig - man, what you do and how you drive means so much more then the ABC super phallic enhancement this, that and the next thing ever will. I've put my behemoth of a Suburban up trails jeeps can't go so don't try to tell me jeeps are everything.

Now you want to start a civilized discussion of what is what, I'm all for it but you start bashing and I got no time or respect for you.
Old 06-28-2007, 05:07 PM
Contributing Member

Rubicon Msrp : Net Price: $28,460
FJ Cruiser Msrp: $23,500 - which is what I drove mine off the lot for.

I'm not trying to say my FJ is the greatest thing ever. It's far from it and I know that. But I was trying to point out that I believe either vehicle can be made to be better than the other.... That's the only point I was ever trying to get across.

You've been the jerk from the start w/ all the smack talk about the FJ and how pathetic you think it is. Was this for no reason?

Perhaps you should have read more closely. I stated originally that when it comes to off road performance and when it really matters especially to those of us devoted to the activity, that not many of us are indeed driving stock vehicles. I spent 5 grand less on my FJ than the Rubi and I wanted a Rubi initially. But after careful consideration about safety and my kids riding w/ me I went with a vehicle that is far superior in those regards to the Rubi.

I also ended up w/ 5k to put into mods add the 2k you are talking about and that's a great deal of equipment for the same price. You add it up.

I apologize if I offended you. I merely felt compelled to defend a vehicle that I've grown to admire and appreciate.

Well, You are right, i've been being a bit of a jerk.

I apologize to you.

First of all, let me clarify one thing: IF GIVEN THE CHOICE BETWEEN AN FJ AND A JEEP WRANGLER RUBICON, I WOULD BUY THE FJ.

Not because of any reason other than i think it is the best toyota on the lots as an out of the box wheeler.

I defended the Rubicon simply to offer a differing opinion than the ones offered at the start of this post. Do i think the rubicon is a great out of the box wheeler? Sure, but i think jeeps are junk, and would never purchase any Chrysler product.

Second of all, the 2k refererence was simply put out there to illustrate what i consider the two first purchases of most 4x4 owners: tires and lift. But my point, originally, was that the rubicon came better equiped stock than the FJ.

As for the comments about Jeeps and FJ's on the trail, i'm sorry. I made a broad statement about the two vehicles, while not taking into acount the differences in driver skill, or terrain. Also, i used prices around here, for the FJ, and shouldn't have made those generalizations. At Boulder Toyota, an FJ w/Rear locker and 5 speed runs abour 27-28k sticker, not sure what people are actually paying for them, and also depending on what else you get with it.

But KD7NAC_07FJ, I have driven the FJ. It was pretty sweet. Still like my 4runner better, but for a stock truck, it performed amazing.

There is nothing wrong with the FJ's, and I didn't mean to begin being an asshat, which i realize i was doing. I got a little uppity when a bunch of people started bashing the jeep, before, in my opinion, looking at all the options.

Hopefully this will end the bashfest.
Old 06-28-2007, 05:27 PM

Cheers! I appreciate your honesty. I've owned a FJ40 (high school) Tacoma and a 2nd Gen 4runner. I've been impressed by all of these vehicles. I think in many regards the Rubi is better stock, but I also believe the FJ or any other Toyota far surpasses the Jeep in many other regards.

I see a many a Jeep that I admire and respect. but after owning a few Toys, I think I'll always stick w/ them.

Perhaps we'll have a chance to wheel together someday. I'm all about that

Now, if we want to talk about how Australia and other countries seem to get all the real Toyota work horses w/ diesel engines and sfa I hear ya! *grumbles* Maybe, if Hillary gets in office I'll move to OZland!
Old 06-28-2007, 05:48 PM

I would never bash a Toyota! I die a little on the inside every time I see a FJ cruiser on road and not being used to its full potential. Thats the point I was trying to make with the Z06 comment. When I Said soccer mom I should of said people who just buy the FJ For looks, I shouldn't of just singled out one group. I've Driven many FJ's and the only complaint I have is trying to see out the back.

Just so everyone knows, I'm not doubting its off road ability's, just wondering why some people would buy them and not use them for what they are meant to be used for, When they could of got a Camry to do the same thing.

I dont know what to say about the I need to get out more comment. I was never bashing the FJ, its ability's or anything like that. So I Apologize to anyone I offended.

Last edited by Knuckles; 06-28-2007 at 06:09 PM.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:05 PM
Contributing Member

Cheers! I appreciate your honesty. I've owned a FJ40 (high school) Tacoma and a 2nd Gen 4runner. I've been impressed by all of these vehicles. I think in many regards the Rubi is better stock, but I also believe the FJ or any other Toyota far surpasses the Jeep in many other regards.

I see a many a Jeep that I admire and respect. but after owning a few Toys, I think I'll always stick w/ them.

Perhaps we'll have a chance to wheel together someday. I'm all about that

Now, if we want to talk about how Australia and other countries seem to get all the real Toyota work horses w/ diesel engines and sfa I hear ya! *grumbles* Maybe, if Hillary gets in office I'll move to OZland!
It would be sweet to wheel sometime.

As for AUS. I'm with you there. Some industrious person needs to start a blackmarket forign toyota shop here in the US.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:13 PM

cant we all just get along and tear it up!! Jeep and FJ as one big happy 4x4 family
Old 06-28-2007, 06:38 PM

I think those video clips show that a good spotter can get you into more places than lockers and a dumb attitude. That said....

4WheelParts here in El Paso built a rock trail ont he side of their store and let people try out their rigs on it. The Toyota trucks with SAS were having no problem at all so someone in a Jeep (35's, sliders, cage, yada, yada, yada) tried it and broke his front axle in a few seconds. It was the bang heard 'round the parkin' lot! Right after that one of the Toyota guys with IFS drove over the obstacle course. I'll take IFS over the crappy Dana front axles coming in everything but the Rubicon. The Rubicon is a serious machine but I don't see many actually off-road. More of those being driven by GI's looking for somewhere to park at the mall. Which would I buy? Probably the Rubicon because the FJ's styling leaves me cold...but...that has nothing to do with A-Trac or IFS.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:06 PM

Now see - isn't that soo much better Better to exchange ideas then get out the yard stick and see who's you know what is bigger

I myself have nothing against jeeps. A friend of mine just bought a brand new Rubi and my first thought was, ahhh - a blank canvas I don't know how much she will let me take a wrench to it but I've already got more plans then I have time and she has money

On the money for mods thing I know a lot of people wish they had more to do a lot more with whatever they have and do you really care beyond how long it will take you to save up for the next mod how much it costs. You know you're find a way to get that mod done you've been drooling over

I gotta stop reading the mods posts, I'm so far behind on the mods I want to do and I keep finding new ones

Anyways and when are we going to get a YotaTech run put together?
Old 06-28-2007, 07:52 PM

i wish we got one together in florida
Old 07-06-2007, 07:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by AxleIke
Okay, anyone who says the FJ can hold a candle to the Rubicon is flat out lying.

FJ- One locker, limited lift and tire options, IFS

Rubicon- Front and Rear Lockers, 4.0 xcase, coil front and rear SA.

Throw 2k at a Rubicon, you have lift, 35's and beadlocks, double locked, geared truck.

Throw 2k at the FJ, you have 2-3 inches of lift, 33's, beadlocks, one locker, stock xcase.

Offroad, the Rubicon will leave the FJ in the dust.

Now, if we want to talk mechanicals, that is a different story.
Where is the rubicon in the Baja races, then? If your talking rock crawling I understand what you are saying, but general offroading, I haven't seen it compare. If it did I am sure someone would grab the jeep since it would be cheaper and win the Baja with it. But nobody uses jeeps...
Old 07-06-2007, 08:34 AM
Contributing Member

Read the rest of the thread.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just to re-echo...my ass.

As the only person responding to this thread who has driven that obstacle, laddy da. One locker and a good driver.

This is a big stroke fest. Admit the Rubicon is a better off the shelf truck, it is in a whole different league.

I have driven the biggest FJ there is, great. i couldn't see anything and it had a little more than a 3k lift kit and beadlocks on it.

FJ's are cute.
Old 07-07-2007, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by Flygtenstein
Just to re-echo...my ass.

As the only person responding to this thread who has driven that obstacle, laddy da. One locker and a good driver.

This is a big stroke fest. Admit the Rubicon is a better off the shelf truck, it is in a whole different league.

I have driven the biggest FJ there is, great. i couldn't see anything and it had a little more than a 3k lift kit and beadlocks on it.

FJ's are cute.
Biggest FJ? Couldn't see? Funny how those of us w/ this vehicle don't have an issue.

Also, maybe it is better off the shelf in some ways, but so is the FJ in others and lastly I'll be driving my FJ home after the trail rather than getting it towed.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:42 PM

My Dad can beat up your Dad.
Old 07-08-2007, 03:19 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Biggest FJ? Couldn't see? Funny how those of us w/ this vehicle don't have an issue.
I still fail to understand this not being able to see issue.
I can see out of mine just fine off road and on road.

But then I am use to driving various vehicles at work that really make you work to see where you are going.

Coming up on one year of ownership July 24th, never have had a problem with not seeing out of the rig.

Quick Reply: f.j. v.s. jeep rubicon