93-98 T100s All T100 trucks

Front diff mounts bad?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front diff mounts bad?

Greetings Yota brethren...and sistren. I am posting some pics here of what looks like a problem with possible *major* potential to be serious.

Are the front diff. mounts suppose to look like this? These pics were taken with all four paws on the ground. I was changing my oil recently and noticed it.

If I have to replace these mounts is there an aftermarket mount you would recommend or is it a factory-only part?

8lugnuts
Attached Thumbnails Front diff mounts bad?-frontdiffmount2.jpg   Front diff mounts bad?-frontdiffmount3.jpg   Front diff mounts bad?-frontdiffmount1.jpg  
Old 08-27-2009, 09:21 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Based on the amount of rust I can see....take the bolts out and see what is going on. They should not be crooked.

Looks like the vehicle has frame damage.
Old 08-28-2009, 04:51 AM

Consider the potential problems with a fix

In my opinion this best left alone. If the frame is bent what could you do about it anyway?

It sure looks like the bolts are bent. Consider carefully the danger of trying to replace those bolts. If you break one (which is likely) what would you do then?

The rubber mounts themselves look OK in the photos. I would leave them alone.

If you do want to replace the bolts start by getting the new bolts from your dealer or parts supplier. I would recommend the dealer because you will get the proper steel in the bolts. Soak the old bolts in penatrating oil. Probably best done from above. Work them out slowly while putting more PO on as you go.

When you get the bolt out, run a tap up in with some cutting oil to clean up the treads.

Do one completely before starting the other. That way you will have at least one good bolt at all times.

It is up to you if you want to anti seaze on the new bolts. If you do, a lock washer might be a good idea.

Finally, an impact driver is probably best to remove the bolts. The hammering action acts to dislodge the rust as you go.

jrohland
Old 09-06-2009, 07:48 PM

Death, you have a good eye, my T was wrecked in the front right corner many years ago and the ins. co. totalled it.
But the truck was like new, so a local body shop owner I know purchased it from the ins. co. (who also happened to be
the insurance adjuster for the same ins. co.). He straightned it out and kept the truck for himself. I bought it from him a few years ago.

There's really not that much rust underneath. It's been a southern truck it's whole life and neither me nor the prev.
owner have mudded with it. The orig. owner was at the naval base out in Norfolk so he may have beached it once in awhile.

It drives straight, doesn't dog track or anything like that and the alignment is just very slightly off but it doesn't affect tire wear.

I'm just wondering if the diff. is rattling or loose because of the mounts being like they are. I really can't tell since I've never run it
with *highway tires*, always had A/T's on it(so it always feels like I'm riding on a trail), the vibrations come right up thru the floor boards.

I don't like the looks of those bolts and want to replace them, but now I'm wondering if it will be possible to get new, straight bolts to fit properly, or at all.

JR, thanks for the advice on the R&R. I'll be taking it to my friend/mechanic, he will be able to tell me weather or not it's do-able and if there's any risk involved.

8lugs.

Last edited by 8lugnuts; 09-06-2009 at 07:49 PM.