93-98 T100s All T100 trucks

5 vzfe oil leak, possibly high oil pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5 vzfe oil leak, possibly high oil pressure?

Hi all,
Strange leak on a 96 T-100 that I am trying to solve and get some info for family. This oil leak is said to be coming out of what I assume are the cam seals on both of the cylinder heads as they described. The engine was just rebuilt about 7k ago due to blown head gasket. Everything was leak free until they decided to add an oil pressure sensor to the truck because they are scared of the pressure not reading on the cluster. I think that they have eliminated the pressure sending unit with the addition of this oil pressure gauge.

So, my first question would be... If the pressure sending unit was removed, would it raise the oil pressure in the engine and potentially create a leak at the cam seals?

From what I was briefed, was that the new gauge was reading a pretty high pressure(25 psi, need to confirm). Just weird that the block starts leaking at these locations only after the gauge was installed.

Thanks
Old 04-24-2017, 08:04 PM

Received 603 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by Jonofthehills
So, my first question would be... If the pressure sending unit was removed, would it raise the oil pressure in the engine and potentially create a leak at the cam seals?
In a word.... No

Look to a faulty pcv valve, or if that is good, Maybe high crankcase pressure from excessive blowby.

What do you call rebuilt??? just heads and headgasket or bottom end too??
Old 04-24-2017, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by millball

What do you call rebuilt??? just heads and headgasket or bottom end too??
Rebuilt, as in new main bearings, a sleeved cylinder, rings, decked surface, head gaskets, one new head, valves, top end, seal kit as well as whatever else the machine shop covers along the way for the job.

I will see if the pcv is ok and pray for no blowby.

It was also mentioned that a vacuum line or some hose popped off today messing with crankcase pressure. So maybe faulty pcv symptoms?

thanks for the help, will hopefully figure out soon!

Last edited by Jonofthehills; 04-24-2017 at 08:47 PM.