General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Short blew 100A fusible link

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UPDATE: Fixed! Short blew 100A fusible link

I'm new to the forum as a registered member, but I've benefited from the knowledge of the group for a few years as a lurker. There is definitely a ton of knowledge here! Anyway, I'm having an electrical problem on my 96 4Runner.

To keep it brief, after my truck failed to start, or show any signs of life at all, I popped the hood to find that the 100A fusible link for the alternator (I believe) was blown. The only other bad fuse I found was the 15A Dome Light fuse. I started by installing a new battery and replacing the blown link and dome light fuse. The dome light fuse blew again immediately. Now it starts and runs seemingly fine, but several items do not work. These include: stereo, power locks, dome lights, and clock. Obviously, these are minor things I can do without, but I'm concerned I have a problem that will return and I would like to have everything working.

I'm assuming I have a short somewhere, but not sure where to start. I do own a Haynes manual, but it is not accurate or very informative for electrical troubleshooting. Any pointers would be appreciated! Thanks.

UPDATE: Well, after using process of elimination, I discovered the culprit. After I removed the power door lock relay integration box, all other devices work normally and no blown fuses.

Mike

Last edited by Miko40D; 06-07-2009 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Found the problem
Old 12-28-2009, 12:10 PM

Miko, I'm experiencing the identical problems with my 97 4Runner. Can you please provide me with some details on how you corrected the problem? (I think I know where the integration relay box is (behind and above the driver's side interior fuse box) but am hesitant about messing with it due to the number of wires connected to it.) Thanks.

Tim
Old 12-28-2009, 12:33 PM

good work Miko, it's not often you see someone post a question and then answer it all in the same post! as for Tim, the best way to find a short in a curcuit is use a bigger fuse and look for the smoke!! but seriously, remove the blown fuse and substitute it with a 12 Volt bulb in a socket with power and ground leads connecting to each side of the fuse box. if there is a short to ground or load on the curcuit the bulb will light due to current running through. if it is off, no short. determine all loads on curcuit and disconnect until light goes off. if it's not any of the components in the curcuit it is the harness. either trace the harness to the short or replace the wire from power to component. I hope this helps.