General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GlowShift Products - what do you guys think?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 11:42 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
GlowShift Products - what do you guys think?

Hi guys,

Looking to pick up some parts for setting up electronic gauges in my 87 4runner, and came across GlowShift. Saw some posts here that mentioned them but nothing specific to quality/price.

I'm looking to get:

Oil sandwich adapter with NPT fittings for a sender:
http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/Oil-F...-Adapters.aspx
Water hose adapter with NPT fittings for a sender:
http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/28-mm...achment-1.aspx

Plus, I may pick up an oil pressure guage and some sender hardware from them.

Is there stuff pretty decent and are the prices fair? Seem pretty reasonable to me after searching around Summit and other places....
Old 12-14-2010, 04:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some sending units come with the guages. I havent heard very good things about that company. Mostly there guages and being cheap. But a sandwitch plate cant be that cheap i guess. The worst it could do is leak and some teflon tape would fix that!
Old 12-15-2010, 09:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have one similar to the water gauge..

works great
Old 12-15-2010, 09:30 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
whoa sub'd for later reference.

is it me or did he not have to drain the oil first to remove the oil filter?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl4cs-EqF1Y

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 12-15-2010 at 09:37 AM.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:34 AM

Thanks guys. I watched the video as well - pretty well done. I need to address an oil leak anyway and I'm close to being due for an oil change anyway.

Do you guys know the inner diameter of the top coolant hose on a 22RE by chance? I really haven't checked it out yet
Old 12-15-2010, 12:00 PM

this place says 1 5/16 or about 33mm

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/1/1...tml#fragment-2

which makes sense my water hose adapter was originally from a honda B16a which is around 3Omm and it works fine

Last edited by Outsane; 12-15-2010 at 12:03 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:31 PM

Thanks!

This would be the one then:
http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/28-mm...achment-1.aspx
Old 12-16-2010, 08:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Phil if you do decide to go with the glow shift stuff let us know how it is. I want to do oil pressure, volt and temp. Cause the stock sr5 gauges do not work/suck.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:17 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
whoa sub'd for later reference.

is it me or did he not have to drain the oil first to remove the oil filter?
Since the oil pan and its capacity is below the oil filter there really isn't any need to drain the oil.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:21 AM

Hey Rich,

I'm leaning toward Autometer, since I have an Autometer A/F and Water temp with gauge pillar in the mail to me from Taro this week - would like it all to match. Just need to figure out what senders to get (1/8" NPT fittings are what I'll get, but there are more than one adapter for Autometer available at Summit - and some are for "pre 1996 gauages only" or something like that....)

Probably going with GlowShift for the sanwich plate, and the coolant hose NPT adapter.

Will report back with pics of course!

Questions (since I suck at this stuff):

- Is plumbers tape the same as teflon tape? Need that for the NPT fittings....
- Anyone have a source for a simple, easy wiring diagram to hook these up to my headlight/parking light/dimmer switch?
- Is there a good rubber grommet area in the firewall on the drivers side for this stuff? I found one on the passenger side that I used recently to pre wire some fog light wires in a loom (1/4" loom is like $10 at Amazon for 100 feet!).

Thanks!
Old 12-16-2010, 09:01 AM

Yes teflon is plumbers tape, white tap, what ever you want to call it. I did not use teflon when I screwed in the adapter fitting for the sending unit. Just something I didn't think was a good thing to do in case some of the tape came off in the hole.

I have a autometer oil pressure gauge also. I got everything from summit. I do not have it permanently mounted in my truck yet. But I did hook it up to test it out.

The adapter number is: ATM-2269 $8.95

That's from my summit invoice.
Old 12-16-2010, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by richf
Yes teflon is plumbers tape, white tap, what ever you want to call it. I did not use teflon when I screwed in the adapter fitting for the sending unit. Just something I didn't think was a good thing to do in case some of the tape came off in the hole.

I have a autometer oil pressure gauge also. I got everything from summit. I do not have it permanently mounted in my truck yet. But I did hook it up to test it out.

The adapter number is: ATM-2269 $8.95

That's from my summit invoice.

Thanks Rich!

The oil pressure gauge actually comes with the sender, from Summit, so I'll be good there.

What I'm worried about is the water temperature sender, to match up to the Autometer gauge that's coming in the mail...there appear to be many kinds.

Phil
Old 12-16-2010, 04:30 PM

i dont know anything about the water temp gauges. I'm curious how it turns out. Like I said I want to do pretty much the same thing.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:09 AM

Well, I went ahead and ordered the oil filter adapter (1/8" NPT fittings) and the coolant hose adapter from Glowshift. I also have in the mail from Summit an oil pressure sport comp oil pressure gauge/sender kit, and the water temp sender.

So now, I'll have:
- Autometer Water temperature electric analog gauge/sender
- Autometer Oil Pressure electric analog gauge/sender
- Autometer Air/Fuel gauge....I downloaded the instructions for this thing and can't tell if i need a wideband O2 sensor for this, or if I can use my OEM one (it reads between 0 and 1.0 volts from the single wire O2 sensor, so maybe I can use the OEM sensor/wire - anyone know???)
- Gauge pillar

I plan to install the pillar/wiring/gauges this week at my in laws and do the sensors when I tackle my oil leak/timing cover issue in the next month or so. I'll get pics up of course.

Questions:
The autometer gauges say that you need to ground them "near the sender". I also read on Autometer.com that senders like oil pressure ground themselves through the threads - I get this, but how does it ground itself if the sender wire is ALSO attached to the sender - do they attach in 2 different places? Is there any interference? On that note, could I conceivably run one ground wire from the cab to the oil pressure sender, and then ground my other 2 gauges in the cab off that same wire (all sharing the ground with the oil pressure sender?).
And, for lighting, what's the best way to tap into your factory dimmer switch to get power when the lights are on, as well as the dimming feature? Do you hook in the ground to the dimmer wire (which one?), and the positive to the headlight/parking light hot wire?

Sorry for all the questions guys - just want to approach this the right way and I'm terrible at wiring thus far.

Thanks
Old 12-21-2010, 08:33 AM

My Autometer water temp gauge is grounded right next to the sensor. Doesn't work other wise.

Hope that helps
Old 12-21-2010, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Outsane
My Autometer water temp gauge is grounded right next to the sensor. Doesn't work other wise.

Hope that helps

Thanks Outsane.

Any reason it has to be grounded *close* to it? Aren't all grounds...grounds, and couldn't all the gauges share the same ground with one another? That's what I'm getting at. For the water temp sender, I'll have the adapter in the upper radiator hose - where would I ground it nearby (what do you recommend)?
Old 12-21-2010, 08:48 AM

The sensor uses resistance to find the water temp. So if you use a body ground far away you will be getting the resistance of the sensor plus the body.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:49 AM

See that Phillips screw... ground it there
Old 12-21-2010, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Outsane

See that Phillips screw... ground it there

BAM! Gotcha. Thanks, Outsane - that makes sense
Old 12-22-2010, 07:43 PM

Hey guys....

at the in laws and the new oil pressure gauge kit arrived - wahoo! Plan to run the wires and install the gauges tomorrow. I want to make sure I get the wiring correct. After reading the Automter installation guide online and that came with my oil gauge kit, this is what I think I'm going with:

Is this correct?

Also wondering, where in the cab I need to ground everything (lighting, gauges)?

And....any tips on hooking into the factory dimming switch?

Phil

Quick Reply: GlowShift Products - what do you guys think?