General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

disabling ABS in '98 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 01:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
disabling ABS in '98 4runner

i've looked at the Andymod and would love to have something that disables my ABS on demand via a switch and i need help. i have disabled my ABS by taking out the fuse in the fuse/relay box in the engine bay but that's not convenient to just pop back in since i have to take the box out and bolt the fuse back in if i want it back on. i've seen that on the Andymod it works by interrupting the ground wire to the sensor on the master cylinder. since i have no such sensor i was wondering if some of the electronic gurus on this forum could tell me if i could just wire a switch into the ground wire to the ABS fuse in the fuse/relay box and that would render the fuse inoperable thus disabling the ABS and giving me my freedom? i've read things about using relays because of the danger of having hot wires run into the vehicle and starting fires, but would this be necessary for a ground wire also? it's a pretty fat wire because it goes to the 60 amp fuse, and the power wire goes directly to the battery. i guess i'm trying to pick y'all's brains to determine what i need to simply cut power to this fuse with a switch from the inside. simply cut the wire and run it to the switch, run it to a relay somehow, perhaps i'll need a fuse in the wire for safety in case of accidental power surge? i'm at a loss, and any information would be great. here is a picture of the fuse/relay box from the underside so you have an idea of the gauge of wire i'm talking about, the black is the ground and the white goes to the battery.

thanks again everyone!
patrick
Old 06-05-2007, 05:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
pardon my ignorance but it just occurred to me that this is indeed a fuse and has current on both ends and does not simply just have a positive and negative side. jeez, what was i thinking?
alas, the question still stands. how do i go about safely cutting power to the fuse via a switch inside the vehicle? as you can probably gather from my previous post and how long it took me to realize that was totally wrong, my problem solving skills are not what they should be
i will continue to research the relay idea since what i've read so far seems to indicate that would be OK, i think. however, i'm not sure if i should put a fuse on the wire going into the vehicle and what gauge wire to use since 60amps is quite large.
any info is helpful and shortcuts are appreciated.
thanks again.
patrick