General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Charge and break Light

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Charge and break Light

Hello I have an electric gremlin somewhere ???
My issue i have a 93 4runner 22re that is in great shape and for the life of me i cant get these charge and break lights to go off i know it signals a charge fault but i have gone through 6 Alts and no difference ..My DRL's wont work and my blower fan wont work properly not sure if its related but im sure the drl are ..
I have checked every ground, plug and fuse on the truck over and over...
does anyone know where the Drls and the charge light circuit join or is located i have looked through the fsm with no luck
Thanks for any info!!!!

Oh and another thing when it gets warm enough for the snow to melt my break and batt light will flash with my blinker

Last edited by blueyota; 02-17-2011 at 02:05 PM.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:41 PM

no one has any ideas on were to look
Old 02-20-2011, 07:09 PM

Ok so i did some more tests today ...i have no power at the drl fuse under hood with parking break released, when i turn the head lights on i the fuse gets power ..is this right..????? i am thinking i might have a problem with my main DRL relay just not sure....
Old 02-21-2011, 12:21 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

When You say you check all the grounds, plugs and Fuses.

Did you remove and take apart clean all these things?/

What kind of voltage does your battery read when the vehicle is running.

You have replaced 6 alternators does your truck hate alternators are you talking rebuilt or used alternators did you have any of them tested??

I have seen both the wire coming off the Alternator B terminal most often burnt and brittle and the plug on the alternator being corroded cause a no charge issue.

The ground cables being worn out and corroded can also cause a no charge condition

The Blower Motor no doubt the resistor has started to fail or has done completely .

It seems only the Vehicles imported to Canada got the Day time Running lights. If you look at the FSM wire diagram for the Canada Headlights and then the charging system you should be able to figure it out if the coil is out of the relay it won`t pull in you will get no power.

It looks like the DRL relay gets it power from the voltage regulator if that is fubar no wonder they don`t work.

Last edited by wyoming9; 02-21-2011 at 12:28 AM. Reason: more wisdom
Old 02-21-2011, 12:50 PM

sorry i didn't clarify yes i have taken out every relay and fuse i can find on the truck and cleaned and inspected... all grounds removed and cleaned i did notice the alt plug wires are rock hard... I have power to terminals L and IG on the alt plug when key is put to on position and i am getting 14.1 volts at batt with truck running ...

thanks for the info wyoming i am checking out the fsm wiring diagram now for the voltage regulator

oh the 6 alts i have gone through either went bad or didnt work all from napa then i got owner of the branch to bring me in a brand new one ...

Last edited by blueyota; 02-21-2011 at 08:11 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:31 PM

no i havent taken the 4 runner offroad , just short trips down a well maintained logging road to some hot springs ... My pickup is for offroading
Old 02-26-2011, 12:46 PM

I have replaced the resistor for heater speed and its the same ....
heat speed at ..Low ,is low ...Med 1 is like Med 2 ....Med 2 is lower then the Low setting ..and high is still high

I was hoping that i could get this out of the way so i can narrow down my other electric problem before my road trip to California in two months ...what else could cause this ?????

and my light reminder does not work since all this either ....
I am going out of my mind with these problems... I am ready to pull the lights out of the dash but i will still know there's an issue
Old 03-02-2011, 08:46 AM

I'm having some similar problems.

The last few weeks My Brake light, Battery Light and A/T Temp Light have been flickering on and off, ALL at the same time. Do you know what ground would turn on these three dash lights and not the other dash lights?

Jason