General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

air intsake female plug end and its connecting pins

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
air intake female plug end and its connecting pins

so i unscrewed the female side of the plug on top of the air intake[the one that has the metal casing around it and the silicone sealed black cap,maf area i think]...i noticed it probably had been done before cuz it didnt feel right[this is a new rig,91-3.0-used, i am doing everything from headgasket up on]..

so i unsrewed the 2 screws and pulled the female end of the plug out a lil and i noticed it looked mangled...i then decided to cut away the silicone and pop off that black u shaped plastic cap to see inside and see if all was swell and it wasnt...the connections were all fine and clean except the 3 pins in the middle....those pins have a lil bit of tin that wraps around the bottom to the board and then they wrap around and up to the top of the pin where they originally were attached to the tops....they were all twisted and so i fixed 2 of them but i have one pin left that the metal tin looking thing broke free from the top of the pin...normally i would think solder time but these appear to have been connected originally with some other medium besides solder[the other 2 are connected by what appears to be a clear glue looking substance that must allow current........

does anyone know what this original substance is??????? i dont wanna put solder on it if it calls for some other bonding agent...the manuals are not this detailed..tx in advance

Last edited by mudhoney; 04-07-2009 at 07:52 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-07-2009, 08:17 PM

so i noticed mtgoat had this problem in a similar way and he used solder of a certain type[.o32 diameter 60/40 rosin core etc. or sumthin] but i was wondering if the bottom of the afm plug pins of mention had to be connected as well???? i dont think the bottoms are soldered/attached originally....i also dont think that where i see they attach on top of the pin that solder was used at the factory but i guess people use it to repair so....anyway does anyone know if the bottoms get attached to the board by solder or are they just touching by spring pressure? also can anyone confirm solder is the original material used for these foil/tin pices? tx..
Old 04-08-2009, 11:17 AM

no one knows for sure?..thats what i thought...

however my thoughts are probobly unimportant considering some people have repaired with solder and they are still operating years later...im gonna use solder...DEAD POST
Old 04-10-2009, 05:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So did this work?

Sorry to see no one had any ideas for you.