General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 v6 4runner - New Alternator??

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 10:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 v6 4runner - New Alternator??

I have a 2003 v6 4runner. The battery light came on the other day and using a OBDII scanner i see that the car is not generating any electricity. I am thinking i need a new Alternator. The stealer wants $700 to put it in but i have done them in the past (i did 2 in a old honda). Questions i have are, is this most likely the Alternator? if so how hard is it to get it in? This car has the one big serpentine belt and i can see one bolt on the Alternator. Is there an other bolt? and once unbolted is there room to take it out? looks like it can come forward but i am not sure there is enough room (one thing for sure is the radiator hose is in the way). the fan may also have to come out.
what do you guys think?

thank you

FYI i am a single mom that needs to save money any chance i get and i have been known to turn a wrench in the past.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
jeez-63 people look in and nobody can help out a "vixen" within the user name? I'm a bit ashamed of you guys...

I don't know your specific vehicle-as mine as the 3rd gen Runner and yours is 4th but you seem to be diagnosing the issue correctly.

You likely have already solved this by now or you would be having a dead battery constantly.

Be aware that some of the major chains like O'Reillys or AutoZone or Auto Express will check your alternator for you and verify that as the cause.

An alternator typically has one bolt for mounting and another bolt for adjusting it to fit the belt tightness properly.

I for one would like to hear if this is solved and how much money you were able to save having someone else do the repair other than the dealership.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:11 AM

I decided to just go for it. It was not that hard pulling the old unit out. I did have to take the belt off and the fan off. the hardest part was taking the fan off. i did not have a wrench that could get to the fan nuts. I made due with a short open end wrench but it did take a lot of time. Auto zone tested the old unit and it tested bad. All in all it cost me $120 and about 2 hours of work. It would have been much faster if i did not have a hard time with the fan. I also had to give the old unit to autozone because there was a "core charge" on it. i am very glad i decided to try to do this fix myself as times are tough and i did not have the free money for the dealer to do this. All in all i am very happy.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
glad to hear you got the solve completed. You seem quite capable and just the type of member the forum needs.

Happy motoring!
Old 06-25-2011, 04:52 PM

i have never been scared to try something. that is how i first did oil changes, fan belts, then i went on to brake jobs and now an alternator. I do get enjoyment from doing that kind of work but in my life its important being a single mom as funds are short. If i had to go to the dealer and spend $800-1000 i would really have to cut back on something else i need.