General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Time for a Transmission Cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2004, 05:20 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That may be the case with this transmission -- I'll crawl under the truck tonight and have a look. But the dealer told me that there are two sensors ($96 and $88), and of course he couldn't tell me where they go. My mechanic told me yesterday that they order their Toyota parts from a distributor in Jacksonville. He said that the dealers in our area "aren't worth messing with." I am beginning to think that I might as well buy a comprehensive manual (as was suggested to me earlier) as I plan on keeping this truck. Hopefully it would show me things like the locations of these sensors.
Old 09-01-2004, 05:42 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 4mydogs
That may be the case with this transmission -- I'll crawl under the truck tonight and have a look. But the dealer told me that there are two sensors ($96 and $88), and of course he couldn't tell me where they go. My mechanic told me yesterday that they order their Toyota parts from a distributor in Jacksonville. He said that the dealers in our area "aren't worth messing with." I am beginning to think that I might as well buy a comprehensive manual (as was suggested to me earlier) as I plan on keeping this truck. Hopefully it would show me things like the locations of these sensors.
I think if it were me, I'd forget about the idiot light sensor, take it back and get my money back and install an after-market temp gauge. I may install one next time I drop the pan, even though my light has never come on. If you don't like the looks of the gauge put it inside the glove box or inside the center storage box thingy.
Old 09-01-2004, 06:13 AM
Contributing Member

I am definitely taking the sensor back for a refund (it doesn’t even fit my 4Runner). A gauge is probably the best way to confirm/refute that the transmission is hotter than it should be. I read Gadget’s pages about transmission coolers and temps (tremendous website!) and it makes sense that the trans should be cooler on the highway (tc locked) than in traffic, and my light has only come on at Interstate speeds. Moreover, as I’ve said all along, I have no symptoms that anything is wrong besides this light – no slipping as far as I can tell, and no stinky fluid – and the light has come on 7 or 8 times. Gadget mentions that he saw his trans temp get as high as 300 degrees, but I did not see anywhere -–maybe I missed it – what normal temps should be. If I do get a gauge I’ll be able to monitor the temp in “normal” conditions, and when I get out on the Interstate I’ll be able to see what it does in comparison. Great ideas and help from you all. Thanks!!!
Old 09-20-2005, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4mydogs,

Have you ever resolved your tranny overheating problem? I have a 95 Runner auto 4WD with a similar problem. A Toyota dealership diagnostic test revealed nothing. Good fluid level, not burnt, not in need of a fluid change. I'm planning to order and mount a Hayden stacked plate cooler to see if that will help.
Old 09-22-2005, 03:42 AM
Contributing Member

Wise -- I had some follow ups in subsequent posts. The long and the short of it is, I installed a trans temp gauge and the light has not come on since. I have a distrust of idiot lights and wondered if the temp light was functioning properly. I had considered a trans cooler but many on this site reminded me that a cooler might mask an underlying problem, like a bad solenoid or something, so I decided to first see if it was indeed getting hot. I've watched the gauge in local driving, long trips, and just last weekend towing a heavy boat. It occasionally got up around 210-215, but once I was rolling it came back down to a normal range. Problem solved? I guess so!
Old 09-22-2005, 05:34 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4mydogs
Wise -- I had some follow ups in subsequent posts. The long and the short of it is, I installed a trans temp gauge and the light has not come on since. I have a distrust of idiot lights and wondered if the temp light was functioning properly. I had considered a trans cooler but many on this site reminded me that a cooler might mask an underlying problem, like a bad solenoid or something, so I decided to first see if it was indeed getting hot. I've watched the gauge in local driving, long trips, and just last weekend towing a heavy boat. It occasionally got up around 210-215, but once I was rolling it came back down to a normal range. Problem solved? I guess so!
What kind of gauge did you install and where did you get it?
Old 09-22-2005, 06:56 AM
Contributing Member

I got an AutoMeter Z Series #2640. Go to autometer.com and you'll see that they have lots of styles to choose from. I also got a pedestal pod mount and mounted it just forward of my auto trans shifter.

I actually found the gauge on eBay, and ended up buying it along with the pod and manifold from the same people, who are in Rock Hill, SC. You can find them on eBay, or through the autometer websites, I believe.

You will have to cut the steel line that takes the trans fluid from the pan forward toward the cooler, the closer to the pan the better. The manifold mounts to the line, and this was a pain as I couldn't seem to get the correct fittings to do a hard connect between the two. I ended up going with rubber hose, double clamped, and have had no problems. Also don't forget to run a ground from the manifold to the body or you won't get any readings.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:10 AM

This has been a good thread. I've been contemplating a tranny cooler since I bought my truck. I am going to check out that Hayden 677 after work tonight.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:16 AM
Contributing Member

Just ran across this: http://www.txchange.com/heatchrt.htm
Old 09-22-2005, 09:57 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bryanr
This has been a good thread. I've been contemplating a tranny cooler since I bought my truck. I am going to check out that Hayden 677 after work tonight.
It never hurts to add one and more than likely will extend the life of the tranny.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
It never hurts to add one and more than likely will extend the life of the tranny.
I stopped by my Advanced Auto during lunch and purchased this:

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...tnumber=243007

Now to install it myself or be lazy and have someone else do it... Hmm decisions
Old 09-22-2005, 12:38 PM

4MyDogs,
Here is a link to a Factory Service Manual from a 1993 Truck someone put in pdf format. It should cover your year 4Runner as well.
Here is the number where your can buy you own from Toyota.
Toyota Customer Service 800-622-2033. I got the engine manual for about $55 and the body/chassis manual for about the same price.
Best of luck. thefreq

Last edited by thefreqofnature; 09-22-2005 at 12:56 PM.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:02 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks, freq, but I'm good. This is an old thread that was just recently resurrected.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:33 AM

Anyone got a webpage or link for a 'how-to' install a tranmission cooler? I've got plenty of free time this weekend and may try it depending on how involved/messy it is
Old 01-07-2006, 05:29 PM

ok just read this.
lets say you were running 38 in tires with the stock 410s for a while.at high speeds when dropping down to passing gear in od ,could this tax the converter enough to turn the trans temp lite on?
Old 01-07-2006, 07:20 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by cherokeechief79
ok just read this.
lets say you were running 38 in tires with the stock 410s for a while.at high speeds when dropping down to passing gear in od ,could this tax the converter enough to turn the trans temp lite on?
I'd say that was pretty likely.
Those are very big tires for those gears.
Old 01-07-2006, 07:30 PM
Contributing Member

ok just read this.
I am gonna agree with Jamie. It's very likely you will. Beside that, it's not a good idea to be running that setup. It is questionable if you'll ever get up to highway speed and if a regular size trans cooler would even be enough to handle the load. Maybe the engine will stall too...
Old 01-07-2006, 07:33 PM

new 3rd member w 529s coming next week.
Old 01-08-2006, 07:24 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bryanr
Anyone got a webpage or link for a 'how-to' install a tranmission cooler? I've got plenty of free time this weekend and may try it depending on how involved/messy it is
Here is one:https://www.yotatech.com/~corey/tech...ler/cooler.htm
Old 01-08-2006, 09:58 AM

new 3rd member w 529s coming next week.
Cool! But, are you 4WD? don't run different gears in the front and rear!

Quick Reply: Time for a Transmission Cooler?