General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Should have known...but...

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 10:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should have known...but...

I was out of state in rural OK for 2.5 months and had to have my oil changed as I didn't have my gear with me to do it. So I purchased the oil and filter and went to the nearest Toyota dealership. I've just been home for about two weeks and I needed to do it again.
I get under the truck and find that the three of the four bolts that hold on the metal protection plate are loose and the fourth is missing. One of the three is stripped from rattleing around in its hole!
This happened 6 years ago at a dealership and was one of the reasons why I started changing my own oil. That time all four bolts were loose and stripped. The dealership mechanic who fixed it had a heck of a time as he had to drill out the messed up threads and retap the hole to a larger size. I guess the metal is pretty hard and good quality.
So I guess I have to go back to a local dealership and see what they will do. I'll probably end up with one bolt larger than the others.
A few times while the oil change in OK was taking place, this senario popped into my head, but I thought "Nah! Couldn't happen again. Twice in a row? Pfft!"
So, today I called the OK dealership to let them know what happened. At first the service writer asked when I was going to be back up that way.
!!!WHAT?!?! I tell him I know next Xmas is a definate and could he see if a local dealership will take care of it. He hems & haws and says he'll see. Also, he asks if the other 3 bolts are good to hold the plate on tight enough!!! YES!!! But thats not the issue! Your tech messed up and the problem SHOULD BE TAKEN CARE OF! And NOT at YOUR convenience!! I didn't say that but...HELLO!!!...you are in the "service" dept....take care of the problem!!

Sheesh! Twice in a row, but 6 years apart...what are the odds!

Last edited by Toyo4x4; 12-30-2008 at 10:08 AM.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Its not the dealership's fault that the holes stripped out. Those holes are SUPER easy to strip. I used to work at a dealership and every 4Runner that came in had at least one bolt stripped out. I stripped out and broke a few myself, and I wasnt being careless. With all the water and debris flying around in that area, the bolts corrode very easily.

Problem is, its a welded nut on the inside of the frame rail. That nut is thin, and its hard to drill and tap it.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:17 AM

It is their fault since they didn't tighten the bolts. Due to the climate here in AZ, there is no rust in that area. In fact, residual oil from oil changes keeps the bolts protected, at least the lower two, one of which is stripped.

Now if it was just one bolt and had rust issues, I could see your point. But all four? I consider it lucky that all four are not stripped.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:34 AM

not gonna lie it sounds like your ranting. i used to work in a shop too and found this kinda thing all the time. iv even stripped a few of my own. happens! i think your making a big deal out of nothing. suck it up, tighten the bolts, put in the fourth and get on with it, for all you know the bottom one you could have hit wheeling and kinked it sideways. im not tryin to pick a fight im just sayin.
Old 12-31-2008, 03:23 PM

ive never had a problem on my 2nd gen or our 3rd gen 4runners
Old 12-31-2008, 06:51 PM

Kinzer,
You're right. I am ranting...because I'm pissed off. No worries about not trying to start a fight. This post wasn't meant for that. Just to let off some steam.
I haven't done any wheeling and I had the plate off about three weeks prior to this oil change and the bolt and threads were fine. The fourth bolt can't be tightened and will probably rattle loose and fall out. Don't want it to end up in someone's windshield.

The dealership in OK called and said to take it to a local dealer to get it an estimate and I'm guessing thats how it will be solved.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:00 PM

yeah buhundred my second gen runner have skid plate bolt issues cause canadian rust..
but if you get your truck KROWN rust proofed like i do now your alright!
Old 12-31-2008, 08:41 PM

alright, well atleast the dealership is taking the blame for it. i guess thats why i always do my own work.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:11 AM

Pheeww... I'm happy that I don't have any skid plates, and will never... h0h0h0
I'd just fix it my self if I were you, tighten the 3bolts and drill out the fourth, tap it or add another nut if you can. It ain't more than a 20min job. =)
Old 01-01-2009, 09:42 AM

Okay, here's the deal with 3.0 engines. Years ago, when I worked at the dealership, I did my fair share (and then some) of oil changes on 3VZ trucks.

I NEVER removed the skid plate. Simply turn the steering slightly left and you can squeak the filter around the rad hose and steering linkage and out the driver's side gap.

Wash off residual oil with some brake cleaner, and/or send it to the lot guys to pressure wash that corner with some degreaser.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:59 PM

boo ya... thats exactly what i do with my 3.0. its quick simple and easy clean up.