General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Serious life issue... 3rd Gen 4Runner or FJ80?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 08:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Serious life issue... 3rd Gen 4Runner or FJ80?

I need some objective feedback. My wife and I are expecting our first child in April. I always thought that I would be able to get a baby seat into the back of my x-cab, but it turns out that I can't. Therefore, I get to buy another vehicle. That's good, but it leaves me with a decision. I always thought that I would pick up a 96 or 97 FJ80 when I needed room for children, but now I'm rethinking my decision in light of gas prices. A 4Runner would be better on gas, but is it worth the gas mileage improvement to give up on the innate capabilities of an FJ80? Either vehicle would theoretically have its appropriate traction device, rear E-locker or diff lock. Further, if I go for the 4Runner, I have to then decide if I want the 4 or 6 cylinder. Manual would be the preferred transmission. An FJ80 minimizes decision-making stress by not allowing for those questions.

What would you guys do in this situation? I'm looking for practical considerations, not just opinions on relative looks or other emotional considerations.

There is the possibility that this could all be thwarted by my wife insisting that I get a sensible, gas-saving Camry.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tell her you would feel more comfortable with more metal protecting the family and safety blah blah and get a new fj.

But seriously, I pick the runner because of ease of getting parts.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
hmm....

you want a 4runner why? i dont think its solely for the kids, i think its cuz you want a new 4runner to drive lol! i would get the runner, but thats me, i was never into the land cruisers...

also, whats your budget? only one kid? why not a car then? do you wanna drive it on trips etc?
Old 10-15-2007, 08:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
and...

talk gas prices... i live in southern california.. gas just hit 3.05..... again.

and i drive a 3.0L 4runner that gets i feel like less than 15 mpg...
Old 10-15-2007, 08:42 PM

Well, yeah I want a 4Runner to drive, and I can use the excuse that I need a 4wd vehicle capable of hauling more than two people comfortably so we can get to her parents' lakehouse, go camping, etc. A 4Runner would be a suitable complement to my truck.

I think a 3rd gen 4Runner would get better mpg than a 3.slow. Gas in Alabama is ~2.60/gal presently. My budget is no more than $8k, but obviously less is better. My wife and I agreed that we would only consider vehicles with dual airbags, which is fine since that puts me in 3rd gen 4Runner range and that happens to be my favorite (other than the 85). Only one kid, and I'm not focusing on a car because she's got an 04 Accord that is the primary, "family" vehicle. However, a late 90's Camry might win anyway due to the aforementioned gas mileage and other cost considerations, like the fact that a Camry doesn't need all-terrain tires and regearing.

Hadn't thought about the greater availability of parts for the 4Runner. Good point.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've owned a 1993 FJ80 (4.5 litre) and I currently own a 3.4 litre 3rd gen 4runner. Both are excellent vehicles. If gas wasn't an issue I'd still own my 80 series. Considering you are concerned about fuel economy and are contemplating a Camry, I suggest you go with the 3rd gen 4runner. For me parts have never been an issue for either vehicle. My 3rd gen consistently gets about 25-35% better fuel mileage than the 80 series, depending on my driving style.

If fuel mileage isn't a concern go with the 80, otherwise stick with the 3rd gen 4runner. Good luck with your decision.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:19 PM
Contributing Member

im in the same boat, except i've already got the 2 kids and the 3rd is coming next summer. I've got a 3rd gen 3.4 auto. it kills on the trails as its fairly built. DD/kid hauler? not as comfy..but pimp nonetheless. we go camping & wheeling often to remote places, so its gotta be capable and reliable.

looking at 80's lately...i've always been a huge fan. almost bought one, but the gas mileage was also a concern, so i went with the 3rd gen. mileage was decent...but then i added 33's, then 35's, armour, etc etc. even regeared. as it stands now...im getting a miserable 12-15mpg. so much for mileage.

however...the FJ80's arent getting much better mileage. although they are MUCH more comfortable and roomy...being a bit bigger of course. trailability, all else being equal...they pretty much are. the 80 can just haul more. 5speeds arent quite common...and you'll spend much more owning and maintaining an 80 over a 3rd gen runner.

luckily, HDJ81's are quite plentyful here in western canada. these delicious (4.2L turbo diesel) motors are stout, and if driven nicely, can return mileage anywhere in the 20's and are also available with F/R lockers, rear tire carriers and oem winches.

bottom line, if youre worried about mileage like i was, get the runner. it will easily accomodate your first child and is a more natural step up from an x-tra cab. once you grow out of that...go with the 80 if youre like me and not wanting to go the minivan route.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:25 PM

well if i was you, id get a nice Camry easier to maintain,better on gas. Wont it be easier for the wife to get the baby in and out of also? my grandparents do not like riding with me for the simple fact it is hard to get in and out of.

I do not feel safer in a SUV, mainly because of rolling over.

anyway let us know what you pick.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by d0ubledown
luckily, HDJ81's are quite plentyful here in western canada. these delicious (4.2L turbo diesel) motors are stout, and if driven nicely, can return mileage anywhere in the 20's and are also available with F/R lockers, rear tire carriers and oem winches.
I suppose you can't get an HDJ81 in a left-hand drive configuration? If you could, I would seriously consider driving up and trying to get one into the US.

As for the Camry, it probably would be easier to get the baby in and out of. However, as the 4Runner/FJ80/Camry would be my vehicle--since she has an Accord--it doesn't matter as much. I don't see that a Camry would be that much easier to maintain than a 4Runner, but it sure would be cheaper since I wouldn't feel compelled to modify it.

I think this is pushing me towards the 4Runner, barring the aforementioned foray into extreme practicality forcing a Camry purchase.

You know, with whatever I get, I'm really looking forward to having the luxury of having my truck down for maintenance/mods and not feeling pressure to have it back together by the end of the day because all I've got for backup is my bike or my wife's car. She doesn't have much compassion for me when it's raining and I've stupidly torn the truck down.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:58 PM
Contributing Member

fwiw, i find that its much easier with a lil one, especially a newborn, to get em in & out of an SUV than a car. the seat height makes it easier to drop in the click-in seats. and when they get older and you'll have to strap em in, i found it easier in my runner than my wife's jetta...but thats just me. plus...you cant wheel a camry.

i think there are some HDJ81's that are in LHD, but those i think are in europe (not britain). all the newer diesel toys here are JDM's (japanese domestic market), and must be at least 15 years old before they can be imported.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:10 PM

I'd say that if you're planning on keeping your pickup, dont worry about offroad capability. 4WD, IMO, is a must, but that doesn't mean it has to be all tricked out. Thats what the pickup is for. as far as Cruiser vs. Runner, I would base that decision on your future outlook. Are you planning on having more children or just the one? I think that if you're wanting 2-3+ children, you (and they) will appreciate the Cruiser's size and comfort. As far as the gas mileage is concerned, drive the pickup unless you need the capacity of the Cruiser.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:28 PM

I suspect 3+ kids are in the future, and that is one reason I like the idea of an FJ80. But, perhaps I get the 4Runner now and then, when we get too crowded, think about a 100 series? Of course, if I have 3+ kids, an FJ100 will probably be out of the budget, regardless of how old it is.

Doubledown, why does the vehicle have to be 15 years old before it's imported?
Old 10-16-2007, 08:38 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by chroad
Doubledown, why does the vehicle have to be 15 years old before it's imported?
its the funny canadian auto importing law. not sure why 15 years...i think perhaps the govt thinks that a car this old cant be resold for profits...but they are as theres a huge market for JDM vehicles. not just diesel trucks, but also RX-7's, Supra's, diesel vans, camry's...all the better cars & trucks we never got.

the gov't is pushing to extend that to 25 years now. yeah..like a car that old will be safe by todays standards.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:00 PM

So, I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the 4Runner. I say pretty sure because it won't be final until it's purchased--the Camry could possibly find its way into my garage, but I will be looking for a 4Runner. Also, I think I've got the search narrowed down to a 97 Limited model with E-locker and preferably no more than 135k miles, in any color other than green. If you know of any of those in the central Alabama area, hook a brutha up. The hunt begins...
Old 10-20-2007, 11:39 PM

Wait for the diesels?
Highlander?
Old 10-21-2007, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by ken.vs.ryu
Wait for the diesels?
This child could be trough with college before we see another factory Toyota diesel 4wd offering.

Originally Posted by ken.vs.ryu
Highlander?
I thought already mentioned that I was considering Camrys?

Speaking of which, if Toyota can put all-wheel drive on the Highlander, why won't they do it on the Camry? I've heard you can get the Matrix in AWD. Same goes for Honda and the Accord. I think there would be a market for those vehicles. But, I am not a market reasearch firm--just a guy who is somewhat different to begin with and likes a lot of unconventional things.

I appreciate all the input here. If you have more thoughts, keep 'em coming, because its not over until its parked in the garage.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by chroad
I've heard you can get the Matrix in AWD.

Used to. They did away with the AWD version a few years ago

Go with the 4Runner. It's much more practical.
Old 10-21-2007, 05:13 AM

Keep your truck and buy a cheap fuel efficient four door car. A used Camry or Accord would be great. The reason I say that is the minute you get rid of your truck something will come up requiring that pickup truck bed and then you'll have to borrow a truck to get it done. You never appreciate how much you use a truck until you don't have one. I still miss my 90.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:05 AM

I would go with 4runner. You can find them manual, and the 4banger isn't bad at all in them (with the 5speed), i have one and love it. I return 22-23 mpg, constantly, lowest tank of gas i got was 20.5, and that was speeding on the highway to get to wheeling location then wheeling for a few hours. I will also be getting a locker soon like you want, i already have my eyes on an arb (friend has one and is upgrading to a d60 in the rear).
Old 10-21-2007, 08:40 AM

I have a 3 month old and our 4Runner is great. Any more than 2 kids and it would be crowded though.

Quick Reply: Serious life issue... 3rd Gen 4Runner or FJ80?