General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic
View Poll Results: Looking back, would you do the Seafoam Treatment again?
Yes, I am happy with the results and associated costs. I would do it all over again.
85.65%
No, it did not work and/or was not worth the costs. Would not do it again if I could go back.
14.35%
Voters: 230. You may not vote on this poll

Seafoam Verdict

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model and Year: 2000 4Runner

PCV or Brake Booster Line for Intake: PCV

Amount of Seafoam Used: 2 cans, 1/3 of each in PCV, rest in the gas tank

Amount of time it sat before restart: 1st-30 min, 2nd-2hrs

Duration and desciption of smoke: 20min. white, smelly smoke

Following Gas mileage experience: n/a

Other relevant notes: Had cold start problems before but not anymore after treatment.
Old 10-11-2006, 05:08 PM

ok well i ran the 2nd can a week ago did not smoke as much but the smoke smelled alot worse this time i think i may have gained a little MPG not for sure also at the same time got 91 octane gas

anyway the funny thing we drove up to a gas station to get some junk food most of the seafoam had burned off so no major smoke but still smoking so as we pulled in there where two cops on a break sitting there talking,
as i got out one yelled to me is your truck on fire? it was priceless i replyed no i ran a can of seafoam through it,anway to make this short i had to explain
what it was and what it dose.it was very funny.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CyMoN
...also at the same time got 91 octane gas
{sidetrack}
why? from your sig it doesn't look like there's anything on your truck that would make you run 91... It's a MYTH that running a higher octane than you need will do anything worthwhile. The octane number is an indication of how fast the fuel will burn. Higher octane fuels burn slower, which is why they reduce knock (ping).
{/sidetrack}
Old 10-11-2006, 10:45 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by midiwall
{sidetrack}
why? from your sig it doesn't look like there's anything on your truck that would make you run 91... It's a MYTH that running a higher octane than you need will do anything worthwhile. The octane number is an indication of how fast the fuel will burn. Higher octane fuels burn slower, which is why they reduce knock (ping).
{/sidetrack}

I run 93 in my 4runner....It seems like I get better mileage that way. i haven't ran enough tanks to make a claim that it does, but the engine runs better on the higher octane. It likes it for some reason.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:10 AM

94 Ford f250
International 7.3 turbo IDI diesel
Filled my fuel filter half and half with diesel fuel.
Next day I had Fuel leaks all over the place. It ate up my already dry rotted old fuel return lines. Replaced the lines and everything is fine.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by MustangMike
Has anyone who had pinging problems prior to the treatment had them lessen or go away all together afterward? I haven't seen any comments in this thread or the long 450+ post thread regarding pinging. Looking for a solution in my '97 with 147k.

Thanks!
I had/have major pinging problems on my 99 with only 80k miles. The SeaFoam seemed to make it better, and I only let it sit for 10 minutes. I am going to do it again and let it sit for at least an hour. Lately I have been running 89 Octane to somewhat fix it.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:01 AM
Contributing Member

I just Seafoamed my truck this past weekend...what a mess!!!
Old 10-19-2006, 08:38 AM
Contributing Member

Model and Year: 1993 GMC Sonoma

PCV or Brake Booster Line for Intake: Directly through the TBI

Amount of Seafoam Used: 1/2 or 2/3 can in intake, The remainder in oil.

Amount of time it sat before restart: 1hr or more while performing other tune up procedures

Duration and desciption of smoke: Thick white smoke, thicker than on any car I've done seafoam, and I've done it on at least 6 cars. The heaviest smoke lasted 20-30 mins. I think this motor was REALLY dirty.

Following Gas mileage experience: dad won't keep record so N/A

Other relevant notes: Performed while doing a tune up including:
Air filter, fuel filter, oil and oil filter, PCV valve, Distributor cap, rotor button, Champion Platinum spark plugs, Plug wires, Thermostat and perhaps a couple more things I can't remember.

Regardless, the truck had seemingly 30 more hp if I had to guess. It made a gear difference while towing the next day.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:42 AM
Contributing Member

An Alternative?

Just to post an alternative... I know I'm in a crowd of believers here, many of whom I've learned to respect.

My "solution" has been (for 25 years now), Shell Rotella T 15w-40, and Chevron with Techron.

That combination has kept my engines clean. I have always noticed an increase in mileage after the first application. All engines have always run smooth.

The argument for Rotella T comes from anecdotal comments from the guys running the 18 wheeler diesels. I have a diesel tractor, which is now 32 years old, and still running well. After first using for the diesel, I got interested in the oil for gas engines. Shell claims it works just as well for gas engines, so I switched all engines to that back in the 80's.

At the moment, I use it in a backup Honda generator, Mazda Rx7, Honda Rincon ATV, 85 4x4 SR5 longbed pickup, a 94' 4Runner, and the Mitsubishi 4x4 250D tractor.

The Rx7 had issues with sticking apex seals when I first bought it. After the switch in '91, it continues to run as well as new ('85 13B engine).

The honda generator went from running 12 hours to 15 hours in my application. It is now 20 years old, still starts on the first pull, and I've never done anything but clean the filter, change the oil, and sparkplugs twice.

The '94 4Runner I've had since May of this year. I've learned more about the potential problems than I ever wanted to know... lol. Thanks to you all.

I think the oil, which is a mild detergent, keeps the engine clean, and the techron keeps the injectors clean.

Just my experience, but I've taken note of all of your experiences... thank you very much.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:47 AM
Contributing Member

That's the thing about seafoam.....it would never hurt to use it, especially for the price. Even if it hardly smoked afterwards, at least you would know it was really clean in there.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by jwbehm
I had/have major pinging problems on my 99 with only 80k miles. The SeaFoam seemed to make it better, and I only let it sit for 10 minutes. I am going to do it again and let it sit for at least an hour. Lately I have been running 89 Octane to somewhat fix it.
Go for 4 hours, or even overnight. The longer the better.

Think of it as soaking a greasy pot in the kitchen sink... The longer you soak it, the more gunk will come off.
Old 10-22-2006, 06:36 PM

Just curious could someone tell me if say i put a small squirt in each spark plug hole and let it set over night, would this break any carbon loose? has anyone tried this?
Old 10-22-2006, 07:03 PM

I would think it would help, but not much different than sucking it through the intake. The plus to doing this is you'd not have to worry about messin with the tps or any other electronics or sensors in the intake tract.
Old 10-22-2006, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by MAXIMUS1968
Just curious could someone tell me if say i put a small squirt in each spark plug hole and let it set over night, would this break any carbon loose? has anyone tried this?
It would work, but not as well as sucking it through the intake (you'll get a much more thorough dousing and better atomization through the intake). Plus, why go through the trouble of pulling the plugs, only to miss out on cleaning the upper end of the intake system as well?
Old 11-13-2006, 06:18 PM

Model and Year? 2002 4Runner

PCV or Brake Booster Line for Intake? PCV

Amount of Seafoam Used: 2 cans

Location(s)- Intake, Crankcase, or Gas tank 1 can intake, 1 can split between crank and gas tank

Amount of time it sat before restart: first time 5 minutes, second time 30 minutes, last time over night

Duration and desciption of smoke: after the first time i put this stuff thru, thick white/blue smoke poured out for about 10 minutes, after i let it sit for 30 minutes, i went on a drive and floored it a few times completely fogging the street behind me

Following Gas mileage experience: dunno yet, i expect it to improve as i was getting like 14mpg

Other relevant notes: VERY SCARY TO DO THE FIRST TIME!!! and if you let it suck in too much air your engine will stall, i just put my thumb over it when i wasnt pouring the stuff into it and used my finger to manipulate the throttle to prevent from stalling, and after i was done with everything it thru a CEL with my VSC and TRAC lights coming on, went to advance auto parts, had them run the code and got a P0171 *lean bank 1*, pulled my MAF and cleaned it with electrical contact cleaner, unplugged my battery and everything is fine now!

Last edited by RunnerUp; 11-13-2006 at 06:22 PM.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:28 PM

model and year-1991 pickup 3vze
pcv or brake booster-brake booster, bigger hose, much easier to use
intake, crank, gas-intake and gas
amount used-one can
sit time-4 hours
duration, smoke description-10 min or heavy bluish grayish white smoke, 20 min of light smoke, little here and there after.
following gas mileage-1-2mpg better in city, no gain on highway, also installed FIPK at the same time.
verdict-i would do it again, but i would do all three, and i would let it sit for 4 hours again, then run it for about 30 minutes to run it all thru the system, then next day change the oil, and fill up the tank.
Old 11-21-2006, 04:28 PM

Model and Year? 96 4Runner

PCV or Brake Booster Line for Intake?
PCV

Amount of Seafoam Used:
1 can

Location(s)- Intake, Crankcase, or Gas tank
Intake (when tank reaches half full a second can will go in, and I will update this)

Amount of time it sat before restart:
about 10 mins

Duration and desciption of smoke:
Really really dense white smoke. Took it for a drive, and immediatly after accelerating it smoked so bad I couldn't see the car 100 feet behind me. (haha, I wonder what they though)

Following Gas mileage experience: TBA

Other relevant notes:Check engine light came on. Spent about half hour making sure i burnt all the seafoam. Pulled the EFI fuse and replaced it, then started it up and light was off. Hasn't been a problem since.
Old 01-06-2007, 10:06 PM
Contributing Member

Model and Year: 1990 4 runner 203300miles
Pcv or Brakebooster 4 intake: Brake Booster Line
Amount Of Seafoam: 1/2 can thru intake 1/2 can in motor 1 can in gas tank
Time Before Restart: [/B] 45mins
Duration $ Disciption Of Smoke: About 2-3 mins Whiteish Blue filled the yard and neighbor thought that i was burning down garage
Following Gas Mileage: Did Not Notice Any Change In Fuel Mileage But Did Notice That Motor Did Respond A lot Better
Over All Impression Is That It Was Not Really A Waste Of Money Because It Did Even Out The Idle And I Got A Much Better Responce From Motor Its Been Almost 3000 Miles Since Treatment And I Will Be Doing A Oil Change Next Weekend For A full All Around Opinon And Results But Very Satisfied For Now Well Worth The $10.00 It Cost For 2 Cans

Last edited by olharleyman; 01-06-2007 at 10:07 PM.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:15 AM

it might have been my fault for putting to much into the throttle body too fast but right after my a/f sensor went bad.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Model and Year? 94 x-cab 3.0 auto

PCV or Brake Booster Line for Intake? brake booster line

Amount of Seafoam Used: 1 can total

Location(s)- Intake, Crankcase, or Gas tank - all 3

Amount of time it sat before restart: somewhere between 5 and 10 minutes

Duration and desciption of smoke: at least 2 minutes of really thick white/gray smoke

Following Gas mileage experience: not much difference noticed, but I didn't calculate it either

Other relevant notes: I didn't want to do this anywhere near my neighbors because they complain enough as it is, so I went down to a parking lot at a beach and did it. Everyone thought I was having a bonfire and called the cops and luckily I was just leaving as they were arriving. Not sure why the people didn't just come by to see what I was doing first before calling cops though.

It's worth noting that after I put it in the crankcase and drove it for 50 miles I changed the oil. Now about 500 miles later, my oil still looks like it just came out of the bottle. The color has not changed since the day I put it in

Last edited by fork; 01-07-2007 at 11:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Seafoam Verdict