General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Red truck owners, which wax?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 12:52 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red truck owners, which wax?

Okay, I know everyone has their favorites, but I'm really looking for Red truck owners past or present.

What cleaning procedure and waxing procedure works the best to turn your truck from pink back to red?

How long did the results last?
Old 04-07-2006, 01:44 PM

Meguiars NXT Tech Wax is the best. You use very little and it fast to use.

James
Old 04-07-2006, 03:39 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oxidation is the problem - need something more aggressive than just wax, like polishing compound.

Check out www.griotsgarage.com

3M FinesseIt is pretty awesome stuff too, but hard to find - try professional auto paint places

I've used that "colored" wax before - wasn't any different than regular wax.
Old 04-07-2006, 04:15 PM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
You could try some cleaner wax, if you don't have a clearcoat it will take some of the top layer off.
Old 04-07-2006, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I find a good layer of tree sap hides the pink layer....I havent waxed my red rig since I have had it, on the list for May
Old 04-07-2006, 05:43 PM
Contributing Member

Use a good cleaner wax like meguiars, then I like to use meguiars oldskool paste wax. The meguiars mirror glaze works great with a little elbow grease. My friend's 90 vw fox looked like it was flat orange and after cleaner wax and mirror glaze, it looks like new. No matter what though, you have to keep it waxed as often as needed to keep it looking good. I like the mirror glaze because it seems to last the longest between waxings.
Old 04-07-2006, 06:26 PM
Contributing Member

What do yo guys think about colored wax? Bump
Old 04-07-2006, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by wrenchmonster
What do yo guys think about colored wax? Bump
Read post #3
Old 04-07-2006, 07:21 PM
Contributing Member

colored wax is not any better than plain wax.
Old 04-07-2006, 07:46 PM

i emailed sal zaino to find out if his system would prevent oxidation at altitude, and a couple of coats a year seems to do the trick. added benefit is it buffs out real fast, an issue for a guy with no cartilage left in the shoulders.
Old 04-07-2006, 08:08 PM

I have been using the liquid turtle wax (red colored type) for a year or so know.

It wotks good for me, but I don't go crazy waxing my truck, I just use rags and wax on wax off. I don't buff it or anything...

Lamm
Old 04-07-2006, 09:04 PM

I use Zymol first it's crazy stuff here's what they say (and it works)
The first "real" cleaner-wax. Because of petrol-solvent limitations cleaning and waxing combination products have had a history of either cleaning or waxing but not doing both very well. Zymol has developed an all natural Cleaner-Wax that they are very excited about.....because it works! Uniform polishing agents clean and repair minor paint blemishes, scratches and abrasions without petrol solvents while imparting a brilliant coat of natural waxes to protect your finish.

and then if I need to get more aggressive I go with TR-3 this stuff is great too. Both are at any auto part store.
hope it helps.
Old 04-07-2006, 10:20 PM
Contributing Member

Hey thanks everyone for the great suggestions.

I guess I got moved over to the non technical section. Just a note to the moderators... the reason I posted in technical was somewhat year specific. It is my understanding that paint manufacturers solved the oxidation of red paint problem in the mid to late nineties. Hence, my thought was that the thread was valid for owners in the same year range.
Old 04-08-2006, 03:49 AM
Contributing Member

I recently purchaed a red '96 4runner that has the typical sun fade but it's barely visable at this point so I only notice it cause i see it everyday.

In my attempt to forever save my "beautiful" red color, I'm ready to put $ and lots of elbow grease into bringing my '96 back to a bright RED shine. I'm taking into consideration what everyone has said thus far and i'll post my results.

Wow. just before clicking the 'Submit Reply'...

I remembered reading a thread a long time ago about red 3rd gen 4runners. So i searched and found the thread... https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/anyone-got-red-3rd-gen-4runner-57291/
The guy i bought my '96 from (norcalvp) posted there way before he sold it to myself. Crazy. I wonder if he ever made it to the garage? Perhaps a bump is in order?
Old 04-08-2006, 06:56 AM

I use an old version of the hose end sprayer turtle wax. Almost out.
just wash, rinse, spray wax and use the wash mitt to rub it in and rinse
looks good for a week or so. weather and road conditions in denver make it hard to keep it clean
Old 04-16-2006, 10:37 AM

I do mine in 3 stages.
#1- Use a clear coat cleaner, not a cleaner wax. (meguires makes one).
#2- Use a good polish, this will make the paint shine.
#3- Wax the paint, this will seal it and make it easier to wash.

Wax will only seal your paint....thats why you need to use the cleaner and polish first.
Old 04-16-2006, 12:53 PM
Contributing Member

Wow, thanks again everyone for their suggestions. My truck is looking really pink these days, so I guess I'll have to pick up a buffer. I suppose I could buff it out by hand, but I'm guessing I'll get tired and I don't want inconsistencies in the paint.

What is a polisher exactly? This can't be the same as a rubbing compound. But it must be more aggessive than a wax at removing oxidation.

I'm also curious as to how long everyones treatment lasts? At what interval do you guys do the full monty? Usually I wash the truck once a month, and wax maybe once or twice a year. Thanks guys. Keep the comments coming.
Old 04-16-2006, 12:57 PM
Contributing Member

Wax? What's that?
Old 04-16-2006, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by wrenchmonster
I suppose I could buff it out by hand, but I'm guessing I'll get tired and I don't want inconsistencies in the paint.
That's a good one, I'll try that and see if the wifey dosent complain that I but too many tools.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:49 AM
Contributing Member

When I got mine the paint was in really bad shape. I just used some rubbing compound and got the oxidation off. Then I used some Mother's wax. I have had really good luck with it and prefer it over any other wax, although I have never tried Griots or Zaino. Unfortunatlly my clearcoat was peeling very bad on the hood so I got the entire rig re-painted.

Quick Reply: Red truck owners, which wax?