General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Rabbits, Knock Sensor & Wiring Harness

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rabbits, Knock Sensor & Wiring Harness

I purchased a basic handheld OBD-II code scanner when the check engine light came on in my 2002 Toyota Avalon. The unit indicated two codes, which were related to the left and right bank knock sensors (P0325 and P0330). The car runs the same as before the CEL came on and a rabbit either chewed some wires leading to the knock sensor or chewed the wiring harness, triggering the code. I saw little bits of chewed plastic hose underneath the car after a rabbit dashed out from underneath the car. I also saw rabbit hair in the engine compartment. The code scanner allows me to erase the code, however the CEL reappears after a few days of light driving.
I read that a code is stored into memory and takes a certain period of miles to disappear from the not ready status and that if you take your car to get emissions tested, it will show a not ready status and the car won't pass. Even after I clear the code, the code scanner indicates a "not ready" status.
It's nice to have a code scanner to erase the annoying CEL, but if it's not truly erased to the state's emissions test computer then that's not good.

There is a problem with rabbits in my neighborhood, however other neighbors who leave their cars out have not had their cars affected. Last year, a rabbit ate through the transmission hose in my 2000 Lexus LS400 and it caused a transmission blowout on the road. No one in the HOA wants to do anything about it because they haven't been personally affected. Spraying LIquid Fence underneath the car works for about a couple of days before the rabbits return. I'm thinking rabbits must like Toyota products LOL. The cars that my neighbors park outside that have been unaffected include:
Subaru Forester
Acura MDX
Toyota 4Runner
Ford Focus
VW Bug
Buick Lucerne
Ford Taurus
Ford F-150

I live in a small townhouse complex and can pretty much see all my neighbors cars and the rabbits are everywhere but for some reason they pick on my car. Are Toyota cars prone to having their parts eaten by rabbits and rodents? If so, then I'm thinking I should sell this car and wait until I move to another rabbit free neighborhood to buy a Toyota. I figure that if nothing works to eliminate rabbits and the HOA does nothing about the issue, then I could be in for hefty repair bills each month for the same problem.

I looked at the catalog of some online auto parts stores and although I am able to locate a Standard brand knock sensor readily, I can't find the part number for the wiring harness that leads to the knock sensor. When I search "wiring harness" I get parts for radios and trailer lights.

I've also read that replacing the knock sensors/wiring harness is very labor intensive. At this point, I don't know whether or not only the wiring harness is bad or if in fact both knock sensors are bad too. It would be unfortunate if I bought a wiring harness, paid someone to install it and then the code was still present. Then again, if I buy all the parts and the only thing wrong is the wire sensor then I'd be out the knock sensor parts if there is no return.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
to start off with i would just fix the wires and see if the sensors are ok, i wouldn't replace the whole harness unless it is really bad, but it sounds like a couple pieces of wire and solder and u will be good, i would get some rabbit food and put it next to the car and see if he will go for that and not your wires. as for the emission part, u have to put 100 miles or so on it since u reset it for it to read, that's what i was told. but if u fix the wire sounds like u should be good. i dough it is the sensors just the rabbit eating threw.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:33 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
So what you got against rabbits?

I'd get me a dog, a gun and declare "Wabbit Season".

Then I'd park my vehicle inside the garage or in a fenced in area with a dog if the rabbits are really a big problem.

:wabbit2: