General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Prestone LowTox® Antifreeze/Coolant. Is it worth trying?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prestone LowTox® Antifreeze/Coolant. Is it worth trying?

I bumped into this "environmentally friendly" coolant.

LowTox® Antifreeze/Coolant
http://www.prestone.com/products/ant...freezeCoolant4

For many diyers and pet owners, why not switch to this? Unless it is significanly messing up auto's cooling system, I think it is good move to switch to this less toxic material. I already filled up my 97 runner with OEM coolant for recent t-belt change job. But next time, I may try this one. If it is good, then, I may switch coolant of all of my others cars also with this one... (non-toyota ones)

What do you think?
Old 10-20-2009, 10:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
once you go green, you can never truly go back to red
Old 10-22-2009, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Jin_Chris
I bumped into this "environmentally friendly" coolant.

LowTox® Antifreeze/Coolant
http://www.prestone.com/products/ant...freezeCoolant4

For many diyers and pet owners, why not switch to this? Unless it is significanly messing up auto's cooling system, I think it is good move to switch to this less toxic material. I already filled up my 97 runner with OEM coolant for recent t-belt change job. But next time, I may try this one. If it is good, then, I may switch coolant of all of my others cars also with this one... (non-toyota ones)

What do you think?
Hello,
Iu am the Technical Training manager at prestone. Thanks for your interest in our coolant. If you have any questions about using this coolant, I can be reached at Jay.Buckley@Honeywell.com or answer on this forum
Old 10-22-2009, 06:05 PM

If it is non toxic then how do you use it to control those pesky stray animals in your neighborhood? J/K
Old 10-23-2009, 04:38 AM

low tox af

Originally Posted by dannomite
If it is non toxic then how do you use it to control those pesky stray animals in your neighborhood? J/K
Just an FYI (I know you are just kidding)
Most Antifreeze/coolant makers will soon be adding a "bitterent" chemical that wll make drinking coolant by animals a thing of the past. I guess it makes it taste so bad that nothing will drink it.
Comin soon.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Motorking
I guess it makes it taste so bad that nothing will drink it.
:
There goes my Friday night.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:19 AM

Just an FYI (I know you are just kidding)
Most Antifreeze/coolant makers will soon be adding a "bitterent" chemical that wll make drinking coolant by animals a thing of the past. I guess it makes it taste so bad that nothing will drink it.
Comin soon.
I wouldn't be to sure about that. Manufacturers have already been required by law to add denatonium benzoate in a handful of states for years now, but rather than just adding it to all their coolant sold (at what to them must be very cost-prohibitive 3 cents per gallon) they have chosen go out of their way and only add it to coolant sold in those states that require it . I seriously doubt this will be added to all coolant any time soon. I definitely hope you are right though.
Old 10-24-2009, 11:16 AM

Hello,
Iu am the Technical Training manager at prestone. Thanks for your interest in our coolant. If you have any questions about using this coolant, I can be reached at Jay.Buckley@Honeywell.com or answer on this forum
Wow!, yotatech seems getting some attention from industry. thanks for your attention.

BTW, since when Prestone became Honeywell company? or was it from the beginning?
Old 10-25-2009, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by Buhundred
Just stick with red coolant, it's never given any problems.
I agree.

It's what Toyota recommends, and IMO, it is what's best for our 4Runners, unless they come up with something better.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:51 AM

Wow!, yotatech seems getting some attention from industry. thanks for your attention.

BTW, since when Prestone became Honeywell company? or was it from the beginning?
Prestone used to be a subsidiary of First Brands owned by Union Carbide I think. It was purchased by Allied Signal in the Mid-early 90's. Allied Signal and Honeywell merged in 1996 or so. Prestone is part of Honeywell Transportation Systems. HTS includes Bendix and Jurid brake pads, FRAM filters, Prestone, Autolite Spark plugs, Garret Turbochargers and Holts Auto care products.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:15 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've been using a nontoxic coolant for a year or 2 now. Evans waterless coolant. http://www.custommachiningusa.com/Evans_NPG+.html
Old 10-26-2009, 03:54 PM

Hello,
why do companies market lifetime coolant when it seems to become acidic and should be replaced periodically?
Old 10-27-2009, 12:07 AM

So people will buy it. Like cars that supposedly don't need tune ups for 100K thats under perfect ideal conditions.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:21 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I already filled up my 97 runner with OEM coolant for recent t-belt change job. But next time, I may try this one. If it is good, then, I may switch coolant of all of my others cars also with this one... (non-toyota ones)

What do you think?
Originally Posted by crolison
once you go green, you can never truly go back to red
x2 - in my experience changing coolant types is bad juju. Personally, green is fine with me - the "trouble" of changing it every couple years is way better than replacing the cooling system like I had to do in my Impala because of that Dexcool crap.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:36 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
That Dexcool thing was a bad deal. Toyota red's nothing like the Dexcool, though.

I've used Prestone Low-Tox for years. Works fine. As for animals, I've never allowed the opportunity for the accidental thing to happen. Just be smart.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:00 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Years ago I was told by my autoparts vendor that once the non-toxic antifreeze is introduced to the engine it is no longer considered non toxic .

As I was concerned with my sloppy pouring skills . I was more worried about the dog getting some of that so i used it for awhile .

Now pretty much buy the case of the green stuff that i can get cheaper.

I have been at antifreeze fill plants it is interesting how many different brands come out of the same bulk railroad tanker car. Filled in plastic gallon jugs and put in cases on a pallet.