General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

My Police Spotlight

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Police Spotlight

So I've been asked a couple of times on a little write up; I don't really have one but I could put some pics up and encourage people to do it and I will answer questions. It will include drilling through your A-pillar, I am not responsible, I was just 16 when I did this and did not investigate it at all and there are quite a few things I would have done differently.

1st of all, the mechanism is very simple, a bracket
that thing in the center of the picture, is drilled with two self tapping screws and that lines up your drill bit and thats where its going to stay permanent.

and it comes out the other side.

2nd
The handle comes off from the inside and you just slide the light in from the outside and it gets tightened to the bracket and gets locked onto the handle from the inside, it cannot be removed from the outside.

3rd
Power is just +12v and the lamp is grounded so you only need to supply one wire. I have it to a relay that's key on(ii) and a switch by my knee with a protective cover to keep it from coming on if someone is just messing around.

4th
Optional, I took 1/4" metal stock and welded it under the base/bracket of the lamp to add to the strength of the pillar and the screws, I was not a very good welder when I did this and I was getting holes on the pillar so i did very little welding, but its on there real strong, then I added some metal putty almost like jb weld to make it water proof...worked perfectly.

Now, notes to make it better.
1st
I really like where it sits in relation to everything else, but I would put it about an inch higher. With the steering wheel at the up most position the handle does touch.

2nd
You see the angle of the bar connecting the handle to the light?
Yeah, that should be as parallel to the floor as possible, It will help out a lot more in the controlling of the light. You will get the most level aiming by just turning the handle. I could have done that by making the 1/4" bar that I attached at an angle, But I didnt know,...now the hole is cut and not very easy to repair... although I still love it.

Thoughts; I love the spot light, I run with it pointing towards the hood or down, I cannot get light into the engine compartment, only to the air box area on a 3.0

I could run with it pointing up and ready to go the way all the police and sheriffs run around with theirs, like this
but I don't because it does protrude a bit on the getting in and out part, and I don't want too much attention from cops wanting to compare...

Also, I am not a hunter, and spotlighting is illegal and you should not even be thinking about doing that with this spotlight...

I get good coverage over the hood and I could point it to both wheels on the driver's side. Basically anywhere away from the truck that the hood or glass don't cover I could get light to.

Thanks for reading.http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/sr...es/exp_rig.gif