General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

My 4Runner & my brothers Tacoma are completely totaled...

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 06:12 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
take the $3770 and your truck, then you can either part out the truck and sell the parts you already have and buy a 3rd gen; or fix your rig... its only $800 difference and you could easily make the $800 back in selling the parts off the rig.
Old 01-24-2006, 06:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take the $3770 and part it out, IMO.
Old 01-24-2006, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by rocket

"artsy" pic...

That wasn't the "artsy" picture I was hoping to see in my other thread. Terrible, sorry to hear about the accident.
Old 01-24-2006, 06:35 PM

My god Man, Thats insane! Soo happy to hear that everyone came out walking away. it'll be a great camp fire story for the kids 10 yrs from now. again so happy to know everyone one is walking. Give this story to Toyota for their R&D, maybe they will help out on the trade in???
Old 01-24-2006, 06:36 PM
Contributing Member

I would probably take the money, put 1/2 of it down on a clean 3rd gen w/ locker--use the rest of the money from insurance and sell your 2nd gen mods to nicely set up the 3rd gen. Probably make it so your payment is like $200.00
Old 01-24-2006, 07:01 PM
Banned

i think i would take the truck and the 3770. thats still more than you paid for it, then you can either fix it, or sell everything worth anything off of it including all your brand new parts and make enough to pay for half or more of a 3rd gen. good luck man!
Old 01-25-2006, 03:15 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks, You guys helped seal the deal.

Far as "fixing" it, theres just no way i'd want to. Well there is but i would have to chop and cut up the rear like crazy, ghetto mount some tail lights, figure out how to seal off the back, and do the big SAS (i wouldn't do one without the other).
I would love to do all that but i don't have enough resources nor the time. I did have future plans for a SAS but that was with a half-way decent body. I don't care too much about trail damage but as you can see from the pics, the rear is caved in A LOT. I've thought about everything from leaving it 'as-is' and just wheeling till something breaks apart....all the way to doing an entire body swap, but IMO none of that would be practical. I might change my mind later but for now i'm gonna keep it, take the lesser amount of money, and then i'll part it out...unless i buy another 2nd gen.

btw, i still feel very fortunate to be walking and talking. Theres not an hour that goes by that i don't think about it.

I'll give/show more details about the structual damage to both rigs later, mainly the Tacoma.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You could "4Hummer" the rear endya know. Sorry to see this happen to you.

If your bro is OK from the wreck, have you kicked his ass yet?
Old 01-26-2006, 11:02 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
man, i'm so sorry to see that...damn...if you buy it back, use it for parts on another 2nd gen...Your truck was so sweet man, i'm sorry to see that...damn. If your tires and springs are still good, you can baisically rip apart the old one, and salvage everything, and have a built truck in the space of a few weeks...plus, you've got a complete engine and front drive train, spare d-shafts, etc...Hope to see you in another runner soon.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:24 PM

Does your brother want to sell the rear bumper from the tacoma?
Old 01-28-2006, 04:41 PM
Contributing Member

Erik gave a basic explanation as to what happened. There was so much more from my perspective, a lot that I can't go into.

The main thing was that I was just going way the hell too fast. There was no good reason to go fast, just doing it for the quick thrill and to listen to my engine. A Tacoma obviously isn't the vehicle to haul ass in. Though, the last thing I expected was my brother to be stopped in the road. All I could do, at the speed I was going, was nail the brakes because if I would have tried to swerve around him things could have been much worse. I could have rolled it, or hit a light poll or something and be dead.

As I came around the turn, I just got a glimpse of his tail lights. Went a little bit further and realized "OH #*&$, he's STOPPED" Then I see his backup lights come on as that phrase is processed through my brain. I think "is he going to backup to do a k-turn?" in which case I would t-bone him. (all of this happens in about 1.8 seconds) Just nailed the brakes, left some longarse skid marks and hit him. Moral of the story, don't go fast. Had to learn it the hard way.

Good thing is that nobody is hurt. My friend in the passenger seat had a sore neck but that's pretty much gone now. Erik had even a sorer neck, and it's pretty much gone now.

I feel that my truck did extremely well in that accident. I loved that thing so much, I just can't stand not being able to walk outside and drive it right now. The airbags went off so quick that I didn't even know they went off, and by the time they were deflated, I could see my brothers rear wheels just hitting the ground from being airborne and watched it turn over. I never felt even the slightest bit of physical discomfort (emotional is another story). I am still amazed by that.

Anyway, both my brother and I are getting more from my insurance company (All-State) than we paid for our vehicles. In total I am getting 17k, and I paid ~13k for the truck, but got a smokin deal private party. So the extra money is going to really help just to replace it with an equal Tacoma. Included in the 17k was $300 for my $600 All-Pro front bumper, so at least that wasn't a total and complete loss. My All-Pro rock sliders are welded on, and I got several days to cut those off before the insurance company tows it. They wouldn't give me any money for the sliders. No, I don't want to sell my rear bumper because I am going to get another Tacoma, exactly the same, and put the rear bumper on it. However, are there any easilly removed parts that people want off the Tacoma before it is towed? They said I can pull parts off of it, but obviously I can't do anything too drastic like pulling off the 3rd member (I wish) or wheels or anything like that.

I know I'm going to pull off the MAF sensor, the coil packs, my plugs and wires (which only got like 3-4k on them) and some other stuff.

Other than a dealership (rip off), it seems kinda hard to find a Tacoma exactly as my old one. White V6 TRD Ext. Cab w/ grey interior and manual tranny, 2001 or newer (mine was 2001).

Last edited by youngbuck; 01-28-2006 at 04:43 PM.
Old 01-29-2006, 07:10 AM

Its done and over....learn and move on.

Just a part of life guys. It happens to the "best" people in the world. And what makes them the "best" people, is they learn from their mistakes and use it either for themselves or to educate someone else, in the future.

I had a life altering experience on a Motorcycle that will forever change my perspective on what is fairly safe and what is just plain stupid (don't take offense to this....we all do stupid things).

I don't know either of you but I couldn't imagine being the cause of my Bro's death. You 2 will be allot closer now.....guranteed. PS. U owe him a few beers at the local bar. Oh ya, keep your story quiet for a bit....until you get the money and the settlement.

Last edited by Sass69; 01-29-2006 at 07:11 AM.
Old 01-30-2006, 05:44 PM

As a sidenote, insurance companies will not increase the value of a vehicle beyond book value just because of added aftermarket or performance parts. It's always a good idea if you can remove custom parts and even replace with the stock parts before the insurance sees/grabs it. Again, great to know everyone is okay and recovering quickly.
Old 01-30-2006, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Radyota
As a sidenote, insurance companies will not increase the value of a vehicle beyond book value just because of added aftermarket or performance parts. It's always a good idea if you can remove custom parts and even replace with the stock parts before the insurance sees/grabs it. Again, great to know everyone is okay and recovering quickly.
Not in my experience. When my '86 Xtracab was stolen from in front of my house Christmas Eve the insurance company originally quoted me $6500 for the truck which was book value at the time. After I showed them $3000 in receipts for my added aftermarket/performance parts they gave me a check for $9500.
Old 01-30-2006, 06:50 PM
Contributing Member

I got about 2000 added to my settlement after haggling with the aftermarket.. brush guard, sound system, tinted windows, exhaust.. etc
Old 01-31-2006, 05:59 AM

Glad to hear that you are both ok. I'm sure that the rigs you get next will be better than the first ones because you know what to look for now.
Old 01-31-2006, 08:22 AM

I'm sure it's different in theft situations and also when you can prove with receipts how much money you have in your rig. I guess I was referring to situations of older modded trucks/cars wrecked in accidents without full coverage. Also, car dealers usually won't give extra on a trade-in if it has aftermarket parts. They like to sell "stock" vehicles because it will appeal to a broader range of customers. Sorry if I was a bit ignorant- - I've never owned a newer vehicle (or had full coverage insurance).
Old 01-31-2006, 06:18 PM

That sucks balls dude. Unfortunalty some people have to learn the hard way

BTW, turn the 4Runner into a traail rig!

Last edited by Mudfreak; 01-31-2006 at 06:20 PM.
Old 02-05-2006, 06:07 AM

the other thing about insurance is whos fault it is because if its the other guys fault you can come out pretty well off. My brother got got hit in the front tire by a camry in my fj80 and it didnt really do anything. But because its so modified the insurance company had our local fourwheel drive shop look it over and we got basicly the entire steering sytem replaced to include a new power steering gear box(old had leaked for like a year) worth 2400.

Last edited by mtbman07; 02-05-2006 at 06:09 AM.
Old 02-05-2006, 08:19 AM
Contributing Member

Nice to see you're both still around...

I guess that is one reason the 4R didn't doo so well in rear impacts for "SUV's"
They noted on the local news that "SUV's" do have a tendancy to flip when hit from behind since they are usually always lifted and hit from some sort of an angle.

Reminded me oF Gangus.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y13...21-05_1435.jpg

Quick Reply: My 4Runner & my brothers Tacoma are completely totaled...