General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

My 4Runner & my brothers Tacoma are completely totaled...

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just saw that it was an allpro bumper, gives me real peice of mind knowing I have one. Not
Old 01-21-2006, 08:53 PM
Contributing Member

Wow...I am glad you guys are ok. Good thing the Taco had airbags!!
Old 01-21-2006, 08:57 PM
Contributing Member

You are both OK, that is good.

It looks like the Runner could be bobbed and turned into a nice off road rig. The Taco looks bad...that doesn't say much for an All-Pro bumper...
Old 01-21-2006, 09:16 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Albuquerque Jim
The Taco looks bad...that doesn't say much for an All-Pro bumper...
That's what I thought at first too, but now that I think about it, it might have been better for the safety of both parties that the bumper collapsed. Otherwise you've got more shock transmitted to the occupants.
Old 01-21-2006, 10:11 PM
Banned

wow! im glad both of all of yall are ok! just be thankful to be alive, the trucks can be replaced
Old 01-21-2006, 10:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn, dude -- I'm very sorry to hear about this. You're one of the people who I comiserate with about the 3.0 and I've checked out a lot of the mods you have done to your ride. Gratefully, everybody is OK. That Taco is folded! I'm amazed no one was hurt worse.

I hope you have good insurance companies and you get this settled quickly. Not to be a vulture, but when you start parting it out I might be interested in buying some stuff from you that is salvagable. Have you had time to think about what you're going to replace it with?

Ed
Old 01-22-2006, 05:08 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Was the slider adapter okay?

Old 01-22-2006, 07:12 AM
Contributing Member

'nothing says tough like toyota truck' has to be the phrase for you guys! amazing that you guys are up walking and talking after the hit, that is some carnage!

lee
Old 01-22-2006, 07:34 AM

My opinion that Taco held up damn well! From the firewall back it is all in tact. The cab looks like it hasnt been really touched. To me that shows it is a safe truck. I would like to see some dash pics to see if it pushed the dash back towards the occupants.

After the insurance company gets done with it are you going to buy it back? If you do, are you going to part it out or fix it?

James
Old 01-22-2006, 07:56 AM

sorry to hear about your wreck, but Iam glad that you both are ok. Man you cant beat a toyota thats for sure. I rolld my 974runner 3 times going 50mph and I was just fine. With that sayed you should buy your 4runner back and go to a junk yard and get a back section and then take this as a opropunity to bob it and then just keep it to wheel.
Old 01-22-2006, 08:17 AM

Man, that's bad! Glad everyone is okay and hope there's no long-term injuries. I was gonna say a rear bumper could've minimized the damage, but actually if it wasn't for the 4Runner body absorbing a lot of the impact, it could have been much worse! The Tacoma damage would've been worse if the frame had lined up better with the 4Runner rear bumper/frame (the body lift helped a little). I mean that the Tacoma was nosed-down due to heavy braking, and that's why a lot of the damage was above the frame. Could've been MUCH worse. Again, glad everyone is okay, and the best of luck to you guys.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:09 AM
Contributing Member

Jeez man... I'm glad both of you are ok... Too bad you guys had to be the crash testers...
Old 01-22-2006, 03:56 PM

dang man that sucks, glad yall are ok. I would keep the runner and make an awasome trail rig out of it
Old 01-22-2006, 04:13 PM

Sorry to hear about you and your brother's truck, that sucks man. Those pictures brought back some memories, same type of thing happened to me a while ago. Glad you're alright, and you'll probably like the next car in line even better than your old one. I know I do. Here's some pics of my accident.

Old 01-23-2006, 07:03 AM
Contributing Member

Those are great testaments to the toughness of our vehicles. On those accidents by all rights someone should have been hurt very badly or killed. I am a hardcore Toyota fan and this proves why. Reliability and toughness.

I am very glad everyone survived OK.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:46 AM

well if its any consolation I slid off the road into a fence the other day and have massive body damage since i was doin 50 +.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:52 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by van7559
Just saw that it was an allpro bumper, gives me real peice of mind knowing I have one. Not
Um, did you see the same pictures that I did? That tacoma went from 50mph+ to a nearly dead stop instantly, and NONE of the welds in that bumper appeared to break. If that bumper didn't collapse like it did, they both would've been hurt BADLY. It crumpling in allowed the crumple zone to work and saved both of their lives.

The fact that it crumpled, like it should, AND didn't break any welds says a lot about their bumpers.

Now if the accident was a 20mph and it looked like that, it would be a different story.

BTW, I'm glad to hear you were both unhurt. If I saw that carnage on the Highway, I would think someone would be hurt.
Old 01-23-2006, 01:57 PM

damn dude, that sucks, although both trucks did look to hold up pretty well for a collison like that, gives me some peace of mind. Good luck on your next rig, and I'm glad to hear everyone is ok.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:24 PM

Very sorry to hear that. I know how much it sucks to loose a truck you loive. I'm glad everyones OK. Those vehicles did well. They crumpled (absorbing energy) without compromising the integrity of the passenger compartment.

Side note: I thought you had a BCC rear bumper? That could get you some good cash for a new rig (if you get something else).

Lamm
Old 01-24-2006, 05:54 PM
Contributing Member

What should i do?

Originally Posted by van7559
That sucks, how much for the bud built? is it bent?
Not sure if i'm gonna sell it yet but i'll let you know if i do. Its basically new.

Originally Posted by Epic Ed
Have you had time to think about what you're going to replace it with?

Ed
Originally Posted by SRV1
After the insurance company gets done with it are you going to buy it back? If you do, are you going to part it out or fix it?

James

Since i have so many new aftermarket parts that never got used, i'm considering buying another 2nd gen but i'm also wanting a 3rd gen. I think i'm leaning toward a 3rd gen but it would have to be a 5spd and have the e-locker.

The insurance company made me an offer of $4,584.81 (i only paid $2,750 for it)

The bad: I have roughly $2,000 worth of BRAND NEW parts still sitting in boxes that were going to be put on this spring.
Here they are: Old Man Emu torsion bars, front/rear shocks, HD springs, and streering stabalizer. BJ spacers, CV axels, Bud Built IFS skid plate, Magnaflow cat, Bushwacker fender flares, factory drivers side power mirror (bought it cause mine was really faded and had a crack, now its in a million peices...how ironic), Sonoran Steel rear truss (its paid for but put on-hold), Energy suspension control arm bushings, Downey idler arm gusset/brace, door jam seals, tailgate/rear window seal, e-brake cable, Amsoil fuel filter & PVC valve. Theres prob more but thats all i can think of for now.
I'm stuck with pretty much all of those parts.

Whats on the truck: 33" BFG ATs that have less than 3,000 miles on them, 1" 4Cralwer body lift WITH all new Energy Suspenion body mount bushings and HD hardware, new battery, newish factory front seats, Husky floor mats throughout, and a Bud built crossmember.
I can pull the crossmember, mats, and battery but i don't have time to take the rest.
The engine still runs good. I let it sit for 2 days before putting oil back in and starting it.

Now heres my dilemma: They take my truck and i get $4,584 OR....i get $3,770 and still keep my truck to part it out. I have to let them know by tomorrow.

What would you guys do?

Last edited by rocket; 01-24-2006 at 05:55 PM.

Quick Reply: My 4Runner & my brothers Tacoma are completely totaled...