General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Metallic noise on shifting & acceleration. Help diagnose.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 10:55 AM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
Metallic noise on shifting & acceleration. Help diagnose.

I've had this same (I think) issue on multiple vehicles, and never kept them long enough for whatever it was to finally break, so I never figured it out.

So if I'm accelerating, especially when I first get going (it seems to usually go away after a bit of driving), I hear some metallic noises, like metal on metal rubbing/clicking/clanging. Also, before it's warmed up especially, I'll get a popping noise when I push in the clutch. Almost seems like it could be a little backfiring, but it seems to be coming from the same place as the metallic clicking when I accelerate. They may or may not be the same issue though, I guess. I feel like it's coming from between the cab & bed area, but that could just be where it seems to be coming from. My d-shaft is lubed and there isn't any play when I try moving it by hand. The popping sound when I shift is more likely to happen when I get to higher rpms before shifting.

Anybody have ideas of where to look/what to check? Could it be an emissions issue and all the noise is coming from the exhaust, or is it more likely a drive shaft issue or something?

It's an '83 with a rebuilt tranny, engine, carb.

Also to clarify, the popping doesn't happen just from pushing in the clutch. I've got to be accelerating, especially from 1st to 2nd, and 2nd to 3rd, for it to happen.

Driving it today, the acceleration noise also happens when I'm just cruising along at a constant speed, but up near 3000rpms. Been starting to do something a little weird lately too...where it feels like either the clutch is slipping or I'm not getting fuel, but this could be a totally seperate problem...

Last edited by 83; 06-15-2009 at 12:52 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:18 PM

I'm starting to think I must not be able to explain what's going on very well, because this noise had been kind of a common problem for me with my vehicles, especially carbureted ones (so maybe that's where I should be looking for the problem), but I've never been able to get any insight from forums like this on what it could be. I know it's only been a few hours, but it seems like I can't get across to people what the symptoms are, because it seems to me that it must be a fairly common, fairly simple problem, so I'd think people would be able to help out.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:07 AM

Not even a suggestion eh?

Well...what do you think about the rear diff? Driveshaft? It's like a rattley noise coming from what seems like the rear end, especially if I'm at around 2500-3000 rpms and holding it steady there, and when I let off the gas a bit it's sometimes louder. I can really notice it in 1st and 2nd, probably just because there's less road noise then. Seems to be happening more often lately...
Old 06-26-2009, 08:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had a similar problem My transfercase went out and I put a new one in. The case came out of '91 4Runner and I have a '90 Pickup. After I put the case in I had a noise that sounded like metal scraping together. It only happened in lower gears while accelerating. I couldn't figure it out for the longest time. Anyway, long story short, it was the shroude on the front out-put joint on transfer case, it didn't line up right. It was rubbing on the drive shaft. I took the shroude off and no more noise. Check that and check your bearings on the t-case they might be going out.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:42 AM

Alright, thanks. I actually don't have that cover on the front d-shaft right now so that's not it...Plus that should only happen if the front hubs are locked it, right? I'm going to replace both my rear u-joints and see if that does it. Then I'll start thinking about bearings.