General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

"Hydrogen Booster" Setup

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 06:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well the ones that my dads EX dumb ass employee installed was pretty sad looking. it was a fricken plastic box that was about 5x5x4. this thing also had a jug that held the liquid that would be ciculated. this big box had to be located in at the bottom of the vehicle, hangin slightly below the front valance. then there were 2 tubes that would make their way from that box all the way to the intake. because of that fact that you need the gas to enter the intake as close to the throttle body as possible, the 2 hoses were normally nastily tapped into the intake within inches of the throttle body.

Last edited by toyotanick; 07-08-2008 at 06:08 PM.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good suggestions guys, keep them rolling. The pump thing is a good idea, but I think the hydrogen bubbles will be enough to keep the mixture uniform. The chemical combination my friend gave me is quite awkward, something along the lines of drain cleaner. Part of the experiment, I believe, will include trying different electrolytes in the mixture. Good call on the EGR thing and the throttle body thing. I have a dumb idea, to remove the EGR system (seen on http://www.angelfire.com/fl4/dmb/egrremoval.html thanks js9924) and use the input of the EGR system to plumb the hydrogen directly into the intake manifold. This might get some pretty good suction. What do you guys think?
Old 07-08-2008, 06:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I feel one of the main obstacles to efficient hydrogen production through electrolysis has to do with surface tension, where the bubbles tend to stick to the electrode as opposed to floating away. So the 'pump' or agitation effect helps there due to disturbances that cause the bubbles to be pushed away from the electrodes thus allowing more water/electrolyte to contact the electrodes. Realistically speaking, what does it matter how much hydrogen you are capable of generating if you can't get the water in contact with the electrode?

So you've had or heard comments about stainless steel as an electrode. Any attempt at graphite... something like a zinc/carbon battery in reverse?

Last edited by abecedarian; 07-08-2008 at 06:37 PM.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:38 PM

see.. told you I had ideas...
Old 07-08-2008, 06:52 PM

well you use stainless steel because it wont rust... i dont know about the other stuff
Old 07-08-2008, 07:25 PM

stainless steel actually can rust, it just requires the carbon in the steel be leached out by some means... (hydrogen embrittlement anyone? there were reasons why i said what I did you know )
carbon doesn't rust, as far as I know... since rust is iron oxide.
and carbon in certain forms conducts electricity far better than iron or steel.
just a thought.

Last edited by abecedarian; 07-08-2008 at 07:27 PM.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:30 PM

then go for it mr "genius" and tell us how it works.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:33 PM

and jeez gimme a break, im 17 and dont take everything into consideration at times!
Old 07-08-2008, 07:39 PM

This isn't my experiment, nor your's. I'm here now to offer suggestions and the like. Whether or not they are incorporated in the OP's design is for the OP to decide.
Now how did I become genius by doing nothing and yet your dad's dumb ass ex-employee with jugs and, well nevermind. Oh, you are being sarcastic.
Makes no nevermind.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:42 PM

you just confused the hell out of me! haha your typing, not talking, so you can take back your first idea. theres no real need to say nevermind, or not complete a statement.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:48 PM

...ought to pay more attention to the context within which I say things, well rather type, than to the words themselves.
...regardless- nevermind.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:59 PM

wow, you need to get out more...
Old 07-08-2008, 08:08 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by abecedarian
stainless steel actually can rust, it just requires the carbon in the steel be leached out by some means...
No. Chromium, nickel, molybdenum and other elements are added to the steel in considerable quantities (what and how much is determined by the type of steel and properties you want) to make it stainless. Most stainless is VERY low carbon.

(hydrogen embrittlement anyone? there were reasons why i said what I did you know )
No. Hydrogen embrittlement is TOTALLY different than corrosion. Basically, the atoms in metals are arranged in an orderly crystalline pattern. Hydrogen is a very small atom and can get in between those atoms which interferes with the mechanisms that allow metals to be ductile (bendable).

carbon in certain forms conducts electricity far better than iron or steel.
No. Carbon is used as a conductor when it's high temperature capability is more important than its conductivity. The alternatives that can survive those temperatures are even less conductive than carbon.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:12 PM

NOW THAT GUY KNOWs HIs !!
Old 07-08-2008, 08:15 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My degree is in mechanical engineering and metallurgy ... worked for the last 10 yrs or so in nickel, steel, and titanium mills ...
Old 07-08-2008, 08:16 PM

holy jesus... thats fricken awesome
Old 07-08-2008, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by BMJ
I've been doing lots of reading on this subject(about 2 months worth) and thought I'd look on old yotatech. What makes Stan Meyers set up appealing is the low amp load to perform the electrolysis and get lots of HHO. I, like the thread maker wish to augment my mileage with the least amp load They sell various set ups on ebay with claims. 30 amps constant draw is just is going to shorten the life of the alt. Lots are garage home brew systems from a trip to Lowe's or the local hardware store. on ebay also. I'm not saying that is bad at all but usually is overpriced. Youtube/Metacafe videos are also informative under hydrogen generation. There are a few circuts out there that either copy or modify Stan Meyers. Here is one link. http://www.pwmpower.com/davelawtonpwm.html, ebay also sells a few of these by different makers. Also so the O2 sensor extenders/ MAF gizmos that richen or lean out the mixture via altering the signal to the computer. So I too am interested in this thread and the products purchased

thanks for the link
Old 07-08-2008, 09:21 PM

These are our best results to date using a 2007 4x4 tacoma double cab with 6 spd manual trans:

regular gas
274 miles 17.6 gallon fillup = 15.56 mpg

using our "terrorist cell"
407 miles 17.8 gallon fillup = 22.86 mpg

These tests were conducted using our cell running at 30 amps DC.

link to it being energized at 30 amps dc in a tap water filled bucket. No electrolyte was added. -Todd
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6fNPwEkTdk

Last edited by Texasmeat; 07-08-2008 at 09:24 PM.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:37 AM

Hey thanks for the data Texasmeat. Good to know. On another note, is 15.56 mpg the normal for those new tacomas? That's quite an improvement with the terrorist cell.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by tc
No. Chromium, nickel, molybdenum and other elements are added to the steel in considerable quantities (what and how much is determined by the type of steel and properties you want) to make it stainless. Most stainless is VERY low carbon.
<...>
I stand corrected. That's what I get for not doing a bit more research.

Quick Reply: "Hydrogen Booster" Setup