General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic
View Poll Results: Do you use a torque wrench?
Yes, (this means even for minor items like spark plugs, lugnuts, oil drain plug).
30.00%
Sometimes, this means for like head bolts, tranmission bolts, etc.
52.56%
No, I use touchy, feely method.
17.44%
Voters: 390. You may not vote on this poll

How many of you use torque wrenchs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2002, 09:43 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How many of you use torque wrenchs?

I am just curious as I don't own one and don't plan for a while. I basically use the snug or tight feel method. But I do have to fix a leak oil pan gasket on my Honda and to do so I have to remove the header off the block which goes underneath the pan. Simple as it may be, I would imagine you have to use a torque wrench when puting the header back on the block.

So I am just curious how may actually use the torque wrench.

If this is inappropriate in this forum, moderators feel free to move it.
Old 08-20-2002, 10:21 AM

Its always a good idea to have a torque wrench. I didn't think so 4 yrs ago but I'm glad I made the investment.
Old 08-20-2002, 11:15 AM
ts1
Contributing Member

I have 2. One is in ft-lbs and the other is in inch-lbs. I am glad I made the investment. I went with the Craftsmen. In fact, my girlfriend on her own got me the second one as a birthday gift because I had casually mentioned I had wanted it. A couple of months later she remembered and got the right one. I was stoked!!
Old 08-20-2002, 11:18 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I have a Craftsman. I can't even remember how long ago I bought it, but I'm sure it was around '91.
http://www.pnw4runners.net/temp/tools.jpg

It gets used only for chassis stuff. It use to get a lot of use on my '90 truck I had.
Old 08-20-2002, 02:04 PM

:confused: what is a torque wrench...lol...j/k. Touchy feely for me! :fireman:
Old 08-20-2002, 03:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Philly,

Don't you know the tool box gets the Corey cable treatment too? I see some Griot's residue around the handles.

Bob
Old 08-20-2002, 03:37 PM
Contributing Member

COREY!!!! you have the same exact tool box as me, a craftsman rally 3 drawer tool box! That's amazing! first the same 4Runner and almost same mods, and now the same tool box. I guess I am the model...hehe !

Hopefully you don't get the same underwear, hehe, I love my Ron Cherskin, hehe!
Old 08-20-2002, 05:38 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Phil, I have the entire box lined with Griot's non slip liner.
Keeps the tools from sliding, real nice stuff.

Mohamed, hate to say it but my tool, ah er, my tool box is bigger than yours

It's a 4 drawer one. Same as yours, but with one more.

http://www.pnw4runners.net/temp/toolbox1.jpg

http://www.pnw4runners.net/temp/toolbox2.jpg

Most of the tools inside are Craftsman too.
Just bought a new set of pliers as seen in the top left drawer.
Also bought those ratchet wrenches several months ago, those are great tools.

I try to buy only Craftsman tools.
Corey
Old 08-20-2002, 05:43 PM

Really important things... Grunt and a half
Kind'a important things... Grunt or so
Ah, who cares... Snug and a quarter

Old 08-20-2002, 06:03 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Shane
Really important things... Grunt and a half
Kind'a important things... Grunt or so
Ah, who cares... Snug and a quarter

lmao...I thought it was fart instead of a grunt???

I also buy craftsman tools, I bought actually a 181 piece mechanics set I keep in my box. Of course as you know, with craftsman, any time a tool breaks, take it to Sears for a free replacement, no questions asked! Gotta love that!
Old 08-20-2002, 06:16 PM
Banned

I have never used one but i'm regreting it now. A while back before there was such a thing as Yotatech I swapped front differentials for lower gear ratio. It was a hard, long day of wrenching and my knuckles were kinda bloody by the time I was finishing up. I got the mounting nuts as tight as I could and thought it would be good enough. Guess what! It wasn't.

While running Ivan Stewart style at 30+ miles per hour up California gulch during the recent CO4RJ, the left side mounting hardware fell out and let the diff dangle so that the axle shaft was hitting the lower A arm under load. This quickly tore the left inner CV boot and caused the axle to start clunking against everything down there. When I realized something was wrong I pulled over and had a look. I had to scrounge for some hardware to hold the diff in place and had to use duck tape to re seal the CV boot just to get home. Now I get to replace CV boots on it which is a major PITA just because I didn't re tighten the mounts with a tourque wrench and use a little Loctite on it.

When I have time to do this boot project i'll borrow a tourque wrench from Auto Zone to make sure I get it right and also use Loctite to make sure it stays in place. :pat:
Old 08-20-2002, 07:28 PM

Torque Wench Usage

I use it anywhere there is aluminum.. spark plugs, wheels, etc. and would off course on any other major mechanical areas that I haven't had to touch yet..

And first thing after getting any vehicle back from a tire dealer is loosen the lug nuts and torque to spec for two reasons..

1) make sure they are all evenly torqued so no warped rotors or drums.

2) make sure not overtightened, so I can get them loose if I have a flat on the road.

Also keep a piece of pipe in all my vehicles that I can slip over the dinky spare tire lug wrench to get the lugs loose..
Old 08-20-2002, 08:57 PM

Corey, mine is bigger than yours. 4 drawer with locking lid up top, and 5 drawer rolling cabinet on bottom. Craftsman of course, just not the ball bearing drawers. Up top is fine, but the heavy items in the bottom could use the ball bearings. Those Cat size tools I swiped...er... borrowed from my dad really puts a load on those drawers. I like to buy the polished professional craftsman tools. Cost more, but looks really cool...uh.. I mean they clean up way more easier than the other ones cause theres no raised spots or ridges to trap grease. Also use a torque wrench about 90% of the time now. Got it as a gift. Not a craftsman though, but an affordable one. Hey, I did spring for a craftsman 2 1/8" socket for the big hub nuts. Had to also buy a 3/4 to 1/2 reducer so it would fit the tourque wrench. The 3/4 drive cat sockets only went up to 2". Bummer.
Old 08-20-2002, 09:03 PM

Hello All,

If you do decide, after seeing this thread, to get a torque wrench don't get the cheap 1/2" $9-$20 Pittsburgh a la Harbor Freight. I've had 2 and neither releases even at 15 lbs. I didn't expect much but I did expect it to release. I really like most of there other tools and the store (they have a Sears like replacement policy) but the torque wrench is now a nice breaker bar. Hell... for $9.99 I really shouldn't complain.

Last edited by Samgotit; 08-20-2002 at 09:05 PM.
Old 08-21-2002, 07:46 AM

I bought a Craftsman beam type long ago, inch lbs, primarily for changing spark plugs when I had my boat. I used it once on the Runner to torque a bolt on the nose cone of my SC'r. Gotta watch that aluminum...
Old 08-21-2002, 10:24 AM
Contributing Member

So the general consensus is, GET A TORQUE WRENCH .
Old 08-30-2002, 11:24 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Mohamed
So the general consensus is, GET A TORQUE WRENCH .
Yes get a torque wrench, there is nothing worse than a borken bolt
Old 08-30-2002, 11:31 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by SLC Punk

Yes get a torque wrench, there is nothing worse than a borken bolt
Oh ya of course, BORKEN bolts are real bad...hehe ;D!
Old 08-30-2002, 01:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There was a study done that shows most people will overtighten a little bolt and undertighten a big bolt if they just go by feel. So really, manufacturers should be making vehicles with only that one size bolt that everybody tightens perfectly.

Even if you get a torque wrench, be aware that you have to use it correctly. TWs are actually horribly inaccurate, inherently. Aerospace will use bolts with load sensors built in or X-ray to tell whether something is torqued correctly. Obviously, we don't have to be that concerned about it for our trucks.

Just be sure that when you use a TW that you tighting in one motion until it clicks. It's no good if you stop right before it clicks and then start up again.

Steve
Old 03-03-2004, 09:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My friend use to make the sound click click everytime he worked on his car and was tightening something and he did not use a torque wrench he would always say need me to torque that for you, click click

Quick Reply: How many of you use torque wrenchs?