General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic
View Poll Results: How many miles does your rig go between oil changes?
< 3000
9.85%
34.77%
14.62%
25.38%
3.69%
> 6000
15.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 650. You may not vote on this poll

How many miles do you go between oil changes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2004, 05:16 PM
Joe
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pitbull
Your Toyota warranty will not be valid if you have a failure that they can claim is due to you not using the correct rated oil and changing within the Toyota recommended interval. You would need receipts that show you had the recommended work done to cover you for the warranty. I know that you can fight this, but I just can't see going through the possible crap. These engines will run longer than you would want to own the truck by just using the Toyota filter and the recommended dino oil and changing it at the recommended interval. I know that a lot of guys have fun using bypass filters and extended drain intervals with oil analysis and if that is your thing that's great. But don't just do the extended drain interval without the testing and regular filter changes or you might be buying a new engine on your own nickle. JMO
If Toyota can prove the oil caused the damage by not changing it on a regular mileage basis, then Amsoil will pick up the bill - to my knowledge this has never occurred. To my knowledge Toyota has never alleged that using Amsoil over their recommended drain interval has ever caused any engine damage and voided a customers warranty. I suppose someday it may happen but I'll go with those odds any day of the week. Using expensive full synthetic motor oil for extended drain intervals is no more expensive than using Dino and changing every 3 to 5K. Under normal use and normal conditions both oils will serve our vehicles well, however, the extended drain people will have more time on their hands for other activities than "changing oil".
Old 04-03-2004, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Joe
If Toyota can prove the oil caused the damage by not changing it on a regular mileage basis, then Amsoil will pick up the bill - to my knowledge this has never occurred. To my knowledge Toyota has never alleged that using Amsoil over their recommended drain interval has ever caused any engine damage and voided a customers warranty. I suppose someday it may happen but I'll go with those odds any day of the week. Using expensive full synthetic motor oil for extended drain intervals is no more expensive than using Dino and changing every 3 to 5K. Under normal use and normal conditions both oils will serve our vehicles well, however, the extended drain people will have more time on their hands for other activities than "changing oil".
I hear you, with my luck I would be the one in the middle of the fight between Toyota and Amsoil.
Old 04-04-2004, 06:58 AM

Last Oct I put in Mobil 1 (always used dino before that) and asked a similar question about mileage/duration here

Since full synch does not break down over time like dino (or so my web research has concluded - correct me if I'm wrong) I picked a duration that would put me about right with mileage and my style of driving.

I plan to change it annually which will be 10-12K.
Old 04-04-2004, 09:32 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by hypnotoad
Last Oct I put in Mobil 1 (always used dino before that) and asked a similar question about mileage/duration here

Since full synch does not break down over time like dino (or so my web research has concluded - correct me if I'm wrong) I picked a duration that would put me about right with mileage and my style of driving.

I plan to change it annually which will be 10-12K.
That may be a bit much with Mobil 1 IMO.... I would prolly go that far on Amsoil, but Mobil 1 I'd prolly have to get a lot more opinions on that first!
Old 04-04-2004, 11:03 AM

I use Castrol Syntec Blend 10w30. I change it every 5000 like the manual specifies. Wanting to run synthetic, but just cant get myself to spend the money for it. I use a K&N oil filter.
Old 04-04-2004, 09:29 PM

Syntec Blend every 3k
Old 04-05-2004, 04:55 AM
Contributing Member

I use Mobil 1 5w30 and change it between 3,500-4,000 miles
Old 04-05-2004, 05:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bulk Pennzoil Dino 10w30 between 2500 and 3000 miles. Usually Walmart for $15.88. Until I've got a flat place to do it myself anyway.
Old 04-05-2004, 06:44 AM
Away

Originally Posted by humanoid
That may be a bit much with Mobil 1 IMO.... I would prolly go that far on Amsoil, but Mobil 1 I'd prolly have to get a lot more opinions on that first!
Here's some more data on that.

Enjoy the read!
G
Old 04-05-2004, 07:54 AM
Contributing Member

Good read Dr.

I think I'll still change mine between 6-7k but I do feel good about using Mobile 1 for the last 13 years.
Old 04-05-2004, 07:54 AM
Contributing Member

Good reading, Doc. I like the comments on 3,000-mile changes on this page.
http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/s.../interval.html
That was some interesting reading.

Last edited by ewarnerusa; 04-05-2004 at 07:55 AM.
Old 04-05-2004, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by humanoid
I've run 10K with Mobil 1 and the analysis came back ok. I typically run 7500 miles with it and have no problems although right now I'm trying German Castrol Syntec 0W-30.

The Toyota standard service interval with mineral based oil is 7500 miles so 10K when using a quality synthetic isn't stretching that much. Driving conditions are everything when trying to determine how long oil will last...
Old 04-09-2004, 04:30 PM
Contributing Member

I use Mobil 1 10W30 and Toyota filters, change around 7000 miles. I've used cheaper filters & the oil is dirty at 2500 miles. Using the Toyota filters, the oil stays cleaner a lot longer.
Old 04-11-2004, 12:54 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I use Castrol 10w-30 and usualy change it at 3000 or less, usualy less. I expose my truck to a lot of dust though, taking it out on the trails any chance I get, sometimes following people gets kind of dusty.
Old 04-12-2004, 12:24 PM

Change mine every 6 or 7 thousand miles. Can't understand anyone who uses Mobile 1 syn. changing there oil every 3 thousand miles. The whole idea of spending extra money for the syn is so you can go longer between oil changes without worry. If i was going to still change my oil at 3 thousand i would switch back to any good oil and feel safe and it would cost a whole lot less.
The real truth is is i wonder if we really need synthetic at all. I have talked to a lot of Tacoma owerns around here who have 200,000 to 320,000 on there Tacos and never used anything but Pennsoil, Mobile or shell oil and changed it anywhere from 3,000 to 5,000 miles. These are trucks that are owned by oil well tenders here in central WV. They get a real work out in these mountains and rocks and mud. Never had anything done to the engines but a tune up every now and then.
Old 04-12-2004, 12:40 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Beartracker
Change mine every 6 or 7 thousand miles. Can't understand anyone who uses Mobile 1 syn. changing there oil every 3 thousand miles. The whole idea of spending extra money for the syn is so you can go longer between oil changes without worry. If i was going to still change my oil at 3 thousand i would switch back to any good oil and feel safe and it would cost a whole lot less.
The real truth is is i wonder if we really need synthetic at all. I have talked to a lot of Tacoma owerns around here who have 200,000 to 320,000 on there Tacos and never used anything but Pennsoil, Mobile or shell oil and changed it anywhere from 3,000 to 5,000 miles. These are trucks that are owned by oil well tenders here in central WV. They get a real work out in these mountains and rocks and mud. Never had anything done to the engines but a tune up every now and then.
Agreed completely. And nobody "needs" synthetic, it is just the better stuff. Like buying top shelf liquor instead the the kind that comes in a plastic bottle. Changing oil every three thousand when it's unneccary is just a waste of natural resources.
Old 04-13-2004, 04:15 AM

Doc, Thanks for that test sight on the Mobile 1. That was in plain english that even a Hill-Billie like me could understand. Very interesting stuff.Thanks again, Mike
Old 04-13-2004, 12:02 PM

I've been told that all 4runners are filled with Castrol GTX at the factory. Just came from my dealer and Castrol as a offer that if you use Castrol GTX and change your oil and filter every 4 months or 4K miles which ever comes first they will warranty your engine for 300K miles agains't any failure that would be caused by lubrication. You have the dealer change your oil and send in the iniatlal document and they send you the warranty certificate and all you need to do is keep your documentation that you had your 4runner service every 4 months or 4K miles. Castrol must feel like they have a pretty good product. I also like the idea of staying with the same oil. I think I will try this. It is also transferable if you sell your 4runner.
Old 04-13-2004, 12:10 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Pitbull
I've been told that all 4runners are filled with Castrol GTX at the factory. Just came from my dealer and Castrol as a offer that if you use Castrol GTX and change your oil and filter every 4 months or 4K miles which ever comes first they will warranty your engine for 300K miles agains't any failure that would be caused by lubrication. You have the dealer change your oil and send in the iniatlal document and they send you the warranty certificate and all you need to do is keep your documentation that you had your 4runner service every 4 months or 4K miles. Castrol must feel like they have a pretty good product. I also like the idea of staying with the same oil. I think I will try this. It is also transferable if you sell your 4runner.
That's all I use in my Toyota's and have yet to have an oil-related issue. In fact I have very few engine problems....mainly parts wearing out from old age. My last 87 4Runner had 212,000 miles on it when I traded it in for the 99. I miss that one, but the interior had been worn out by the kids.
Old 04-23-2004, 05:12 AM

I did an oil analysis after 10,000 miles and no filter changes on Mobil 1 5w30. The analysis came back great. Now I change the filter at 5k intervals and run 0w40 Mobil 1 due to the extreme summer heat here. I may go 15k and do an analysis and see how it all looks but I'm very comfortable that 10k is a very doable interval for synthetics. There are no Amsoil dealers that are local to me so I have never tried their products but I am confident that Amsoil could go even further. I like that I'm not using as much oil as other people which is a lot easier on Mother Earth. BTW - my VW Tdi factory oil change interval is 10k so obviously even the manufacturers are starting to come around.

Last edited by Victor; 04-23-2004 at 05:13 AM.

Quick Reply: How many miles do you go between oil changes?